Old 08-09-2007, 09:45 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Eureka , California
I agree with Guy99. If it's intusucception it is life and death and not something to wait on. My 9 month old baby (human) had it and the docs all waited almost too long. He had emergency surgery and lost half his colon. I have since heard it is a common problem in cats... maybe dogs too? Anyway, I would get another opinion... and x-ray just to be safe!!

"If you want something done right, do it yourself!"
sequoiacoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 10:00 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Any news yet?
I know my life is hell when my dog is not feeling well!

The dog on the left is mine, the other is my mom's dog.

Click image for larger version

Name:	rosie scout sleeping.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	42864

Old 08-09-2007, 10:45 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
He didn't get into road kill did he? I've had dogs get into a dead deer and they stumble around like they're drunk.

Hope he get better soon.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:08 PM   #18
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
I am so sorry Becky, I hope your dog's health improves. There is so much they can get into, thanks for the list azflycaster I have castor bean plants growing on the fence, I'll have to keep an eye on the dog around them, I had no idea...
Old 08-09-2007, 04:32 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
Many many thanks for all the responses. We went to our regular vet today she is in the same office as the other one. So I called back this morning and requested to see our vet just for a second opinion and I'm sooooo glad I did. The tick thing was it (tick paralysis) My vet looked at the left rear leg and we found a swollen bump she did some more blood work to rule out Lyme disease and it came back okay. Some nasty little tick caused all of this. Oakley is on monthly tick and flea preventive but this one little tick took a bite. Anyway we are on 7 days of meds and he should be good as new. And the best thing of all no charge today and my vet gave me her private number if any other emergency happens again.
Thanks again for all the kind words, Steph I know your little one is going thru so much and for you to have taken the time to respond just incredible, your baby is in our prayers.
Air# 9552
rebel beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 04:37 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
I hope you can find and correct this as soon as possible. Since pets can't talk, it makes things so much harder to figure out sometimes.

We almost lost Gracie our Yellow Lab last year when she ingested some Sago Palm leaves. The ASPCA has a great web site which lists many plants that are toxic to dogs and cats. Here are the top ten from that site:

This is such a good list to have, although I don't think the first one we will have to worry about Never know though we do live in a college town and have many students living around us, also the campus grows it here for re-search purposes.
Air# 9552
Old 08-09-2007, 04:40 PM   #21
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Becky, so glad to hear Oakley has a diagnosis and a treatment. Sounds like you have a fantastic vet.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:44 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Good for you. I'm so happy to hear it turned out well for both of you. I never take "come back in a couple of days" from any vet. My vet knows that if I THINK something is wrong, SOMETHING IS WRONG. Glad you have a great vet too.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:55 PM   #23

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel beck
Steph I know your little one is going thru so much and for you to have taken the time to respond just incredible, your baby is in our prayers.
Thanks, we're hanging in there I'm glad your doggie's problem was quick to be diagnosed. Hope that medicine has him right as rain again quick!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 06:16 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1990 25' Airstream 250
Altoona , Georgia
A-men

Quote:
Originally Posted by juel
Good for you. I'm so happy to hear it turned out well for both of you. I never take "come back in a couple of days" from any vet. My vet knows that if I THINK something is wrong, SOMETHING IS WRONG. Glad you have a great vet too.
I picked ol Zap up as a puppy from a pound and she's been my best friend for the last 11 years. She's swam in every major river in the country. Thinks her real home is the RV. This dog communicates to me if she's sick and how sick! I listen up and my vet does too. We're gett'en older now and must look out for each other. Some times she thinks I'm a pain in the ass!

I manage a 55+ park that has a 22# pet limit. We usually give a waver for folks who have a older larger pet and Zap was the first to test the over sized dog rule. Hard going for awhile but now the residents like Zap better than me (understandable). The older folks, 80's+, have a fit if I forget to bring her for a visit. She crawls up next to them and gives them a lick and lays down for a scrach.

This thread is a real treasure as it shows how many of us love and depend on our pets. It's a relationship non pet owners will never understand. Your pet might be a bird, cat (heaven forbid ), dog, or serveral other kinds - Take care of them as the rewards are huge!!! Gotta sign off now as it's time for a cookie. Ok - ok I'm coming - mumble mumble - now sit - atta girl
Old 08-09-2007, 06:29 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Oh Becky, I'm sorry to hear about what you've been through with Oakley. At least the mystery is solved and Oakley will be OK. You must have been frantic. We all love our pets so as they are truly family and there's not much worse than a sick family member. Here's to Oakley's speedy recovery.

• • • Aluminocentricity • • •
Sugarfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 08:30 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
It would seem to me that what Oakley needs is at least a week out and about in some campground for a little R&R for all of you.

Barry
Old 08-09-2007, 08:57 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Great news! I'm so glad Oakley is on the mend. I agree with Barry and think some camping and R&R is in order. Just be careful around the tall grass!
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 09:21 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
A good camping trip is in order for sure, but not this weekend Busy working. But I hope to the next weekend only things it's so blasted hot here 106 heat index today with humity at 80%.

We went and had dinner out tonight when we got home Oakley did one of his tricks grabbed a shoe and ran around the house first time in 3 days, use to I would get on to him but tonight I just said good boy.

Air# 9552