Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > The Pet Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 09:03 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
All pets MUST be on a leash - except yours...

I don't mean to be judgmental, but when I come to a campground that says all pets must be on a leash, I welcome that. I know Daisy would love to be off leash all day long and I also know as adorable as she is, she'd knock down a kid or eat someone's picnic or dump on their site....dogs are dogs.

I also know when Daisy is on a leash and other dogs aren't, she works herself in to a lather. She's never territorial off leash, but on her leash, it's as though she sees herself at a disadvantage when she sees "free range dogs" running around. And if they wander on to our site while she's leashed, she gets VERY upset.

This campground I'm in says very plainly on their website and signs on entry that all dogs must be on a leash. So far, at least two families don't care about that and it ticks me off. 😡. I just had to ask an owner to control his dog (twice Daisy's size) wandering in to our site when Daisy was CLEARLY upset about it and howling/whining. I needed to tell him to control his dog? In those circumstances??? 😡

Later today - as we do anytime we take her camping - we'll go to a local off leash park and let her run around with the other pooches. But at the campground, is it asking too much to expect folks to be reasonable? 😳

And don't get me started on seeing dog turds that owners don't pick up...

(I know - you're expecting, "and get off my lawn!" next, but honestly, is it too much to expect pet owners to demonstrate common courtesy?)
Old 07-16-2016, 09:21 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Two pet peeves, free running barking dogs and screaming kids.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 07-16-2016, 09:22 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
We have two dogs that are always leashed. Our biggest complaint when camping is dogs running loose. You stated it very well. Voice? Control is not leashed. Running loose can be criminal in the wrong situation. Thanks for the thread.
Old 07-16-2016, 09:23 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Add smoke from a neighboring campfire blowing into my trailer to your list.
Larry
Old 07-16-2016, 09:26 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Talking about dogs here. Unless you mean hotdogs on the fire.
Old 07-16-2016, 09:28 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
(campfires is another topic, Larry - where I'm the offender 😀 - this one's about leashing pets when required)
Old 07-16-2016, 09:32 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
My Luke has been HIGHLY trained and at home is never on a leash. In a campground he would confidently stay under verbal control if he was off leash. But he's on a leash because that's part of the deal we made with the campground when we signed in.

Don't get me started on smoke.....
Old 07-16-2016, 09:36 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
You should report loose, problem dogs to the campground office or camp host.

Maggie
Old 07-16-2016, 09:51 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
I REALLY hate loose dogs on fire that smoke.
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
Old 07-16-2016, 09:57 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Where we camped last weekend a coyote entered the campground at dusk and ran off with someone's unleashed dog. Keep your dog leashed and close and keep it alive.
Old 07-16-2016, 10:04 AM   #11
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
We agree. But add another to the issue. "My dog in friendly!" Well he is stomping all over your dog, because he grew up with a poodle or he is a puppy or .... Then, there is the dog on a lead outside protecting his turf. Of course it's the driveway we are on, but ....

For what it's worth, a lady told us when a dog is on a leash and the leash is tight the dog thinks he is protecting you and is more aggressive. I don't speak dog, so I have no clue. Maybe, maybe not. More likely the pup wants to do what he wants to do and a tight leash says he can't which is just not acceptable, because when he is in protection mode, that makes him head dog in charge.

Dogs barking, kids screaming, smoke in the face/on my yard, folks cutting through my yard - not nice. Dogs making friends, kids laughing, smoke not in my face, people walking and talking in the drive - works for me.

Always get a kick out of the little dog watching me through the big RV wind as we walk past. The barking ones are a pain. Best picture ever was a dog watching early in the morning before the family was up. Head under curtain. No bark, but a look that said - Don't come here. The folks are resting. Cool dog.

Travel safe. Pat
Old 07-16-2016, 10:10 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post

Well, sort of goes without saying... 😀
Old 07-16-2016, 10:17 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
I confess to hijacking the thread because I could not believe that all you had to rant about was loose dogs....

Larry
Old 07-16-2016, 11:04 AM   #14
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I'm not a dog pyshologist, but I think my oldest daughter is.

Seven dogs in the backyard. All "cousins" in the sense that they belonged to various family members. All knew each other from previous birthday parties and family events.

All off the leash and interacting normally in the fenced in backyard.

Until the arrival of another "cousin" dog, still on her leash. This created immediate havoc and pandemonium, with several of the dogs attacking the newcomer.

My daughter waded into the middle of the fray, unhooked the leash on the new arrival, and everything returned to normal.

I have no idea why it happened. Just glad she knew exactly what the problem was and how to fix it.
Old 07-16-2016, 11:09 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Larry - see my rants in other topics. I've got plenty of 'em 😀
Old 07-16-2016, 12:12 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
A wrist rocket and 1/4"steel ball bearing well usually take care of roaming dogs very nicely.

Just sayin. .

Larry
Old 07-16-2016, 12:26 PM   #17
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Well, sort of goes without saying... ��
Don't most dogs smoke when they're on fire?
Unless, of course, they're the new EPA-approved emission-free dogs. It's good to look into those, if you have a problem with your dog's emissions setting off the LP detector in your trailer.
Old 07-16-2016, 12:36 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Oh, come on, be a little understanding. Some folks just have a hard time understanding things.

Kind of like the folks who called late yesterday for a spot in the park today. Asked where they are, the person said that they did not know, but that it was an hour and a half from the state line. What type of rv? Don't know; it's an rv. How many people in the party? Ahhh, six.

And you expect them to understand that the dog needs to be on a leash?

(:
Lynn
Old 07-16-2016, 12:36 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
Ridgefield , Washington
Great thread. The "rules are rules and they apply to everyone" can be applied to many topics including dogs on leashes. The only time our dog is off leash when camping is when he's in a designated dog run area and there are no other dogs present.

When I have problem neighbors I have a three step process:
1. Give them a look to let them know the violation is not welcome.
2. A short friendly verbal reminder of the specific rule. (If they look like a discussion wil escalate into an argument, skip this step and go directly to step 3.)
3. Register a complaint with the host or a park ranger. Repeat step 3 as needed.

I don't feel guilty when asking others to comply with posted rules. The rules are generally for the benefit of all.
Old 07-16-2016, 12:47 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Rocklin , California
No leash for bowser

A steel ball bearing from a wrist rocket can break ribs or kill a small dog . It would not be my first choice. The animal rights fanatics might take issue and call the police.
I carry a switch when I walk my dog on a leash. I have had loose dogs run up hard and aggressive . I ask the owner to control their dog. If that fails, give the dog a pop on the nose and they back off no harm done. I do not want my dog torn up by some idiots dog. The other option is pepper spray. Give the offending dog a spray and it goes away with no actual damage done. I am pretty easy going but letting your dog run loose against the rules is inconsiderate and selfish to say the least.
Closed Thread