Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Larry - see my rants in other topics. I've got plenty of 'em 😀

Old 07-16-2016, 12:12 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
A wrist rocket and 1/4"steel ball bearing well usually take care of roaming dogs very nicely.

Just sayin. .

Larry

1996 34' Excella 1000, interior totally redone, 2003 Dodge/Cummins HO, U.S. Gear exhaust brake, Diablo tuner, 115 gallon aux fuel, Bedslide, Airsafe/Reese Dual Cam, and a bunch of other stuff
Old 07-16-2016, 12:26 PM   #17
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post
I REALLY hate loose dogs on fire that smoke.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Well, sort of goes without saying... ��
Don't most dogs smoke when they're on fire?
Unless, of course, they're the new EPA-approved emission-free dogs. It's good to look into those, if you have a problem with your dog's emissions setting off the LP detector in your trailer.
Old 07-16-2016, 12:36 PM   #18
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Oh, come on, be a little understanding. Some folks just have a hard time understanding things.

Kind of like the folks who called late yesterday for a spot in the park today. Asked where they are, the person said that they did not know, but that it was an hour and a half from the state line. What type of rv? Don't know; it's an rv. How many people in the party? Ahhh, six.

And you expect them to understand that the dog needs to be on a leash?

(:
Lynn
Old 07-16-2016, 12:36 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
Fair Oaks , California
Great thread. The "rules are rules and they apply to everyone" can be applied to many topics including dogs on leashes. The only time our dog is off leash when camping is when he's in a designated dog run area and there are no other dogs present.

When I have problem neighbors I have a three step process:
1. Give them a look to let them know the violation is not welcome.
2. A short friendly verbal reminder of the specific rule. (If they look like a discussion wil escalate into an argument, skip this step and go directly to step 3.)
3. Register a complaint with the host or a park ranger. Repeat step 3 as needed.

I don't feel guilty when asking others to comply with posted rules. The rules are generally for the benefit of all.
Old 07-16-2016, 12:47 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Rocklin , California
No leash for bowser

A steel ball bearing from a wrist rocket can break ribs or kill a small dog . It would not be my first choice. The animal rights fanatics might take issue and call the police.
I carry a switch when I walk my dog on a leash. I have had loose dogs run up hard and aggressive . I ask the owner to control their dog. If that fails, give the dog a pop on the nose and they back off no harm done. I do not want my dog torn up by some idiots dog. The other option is pepper spray. Give the offending dog a spray and it goes away with no actual damage done. I am pretty easy going but letting your dog run loose against the rules is inconsiderate and selfish to say the least.
Old 07-16-2016, 01:11 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Warner Robins , Georgia
I'm not sure why one wouldn't expect campfires in campgrounds.
Old 07-16-2016, 01:23 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveandSam View Post
I'm not sure why one wouldn't expect campfires in campgrounds.

(Insert Monty Python voice...)

Sorry. "Campfire Arguments" are down the hall.

😀
Old 07-16-2016, 01:39 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Cambria , California
Leash Laws

Many leash laws like the one here is San Luis Obispo specifically state that a dog who can be controlled by command to stay and heel shall be considered tethered and on leash for the purpose of of this law. I've been in parks in this county and have had rangers ask me to demonstrate this when the dog has been off leash and my dog passes with flying colors. That said, even in jurisdictions that have this caveat, you'd better really have a dog who will stay put or you have problems.

We were camping in Lake Tahoe. Our cat hangs out under the picnic table on leash. The neighbors had a black Lab dog off leash that came over and hassled my cat. I told the owners about the leash requirements and that I had a cat. A half hour after that encounter, the black Lab came back and my cat tore his nose wide open. The owner wanted me to pay his vet bill. I told the guy that he had been warned and then called the ranger. The rangers came, told him to stop bothering me, issued the dog owner a citation and threw him out of the campground.

C
Old 07-16-2016, 01:54 PM   #24
Stay CazuaL

2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
I don't tolerate the not picking up the poop. I will confront that person in a very authoritative manner and say, "Hey pick that up". I have not had to escalate it further, but I tell you what, I am very prepared to so.

As far dog off leash, that's a tough one at times. I would ask my neighbors if they are cool with my dog off the leash. Walking my dog(s) while no one is around, off the leash is ok, but as soon as I see another living thing, I put the leash back on.

I do not think it would be rude on your part if you asked them to put their dogs on the leash.

As for camp fires, not much you can do. Camp fires are part of camping. I can only hope the wind blows away from me.
"Sweat is your fat crying"
WBCCI 9164
Old 07-16-2016, 02:00 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
Our Leo is an 85lb Chow/Lab mix. We take him everywhere with us and almost always keep him on a leash or tether. We also clean up after him unless he is off in high weeds which he prefers. We also prevent him from peeing on shrubbery, other camp sites, vehicles or structures.

We love campgrounds with a dog park or a large field nearby where we can let him run after a ball. If he doesn't come when we call, all we have to do is turn away and start to leave and he comes running, afraid we will leave him in a strange place.

Yes, when other dogs are allowed to run loose it can be a problem as Leo is very territorial when on a tether and will defend his space. Keep that in mind when you approach an RV with a tethered dog. You usually don't have to knock as the dog will almost always announce your approach unless he knows you. Also, never offer someone's dog a treat without asking first.
Old 07-16-2016, 02:13 PM   #26
59' Globester

1959 18' "Footer"
1957 26' Overlander
san francisco , California
I have two birds that travel with me. A small parrot and cockatiel. They love to be sitting on their perch next to us and can't fly as they are clipped for their own safety.

We were camping in an area where there is no camp host but clearly signed with rules.

There were a group of yahoos who had all their dogs running free and one caught peeing on my drying sleeping bag. I asked them nicley to put dogs on a leash as these were the rules and they said sure...

The dogs can scare the birds to the ground and kill them very quickly. These birds are family and I get very angry when people don't understand.

Well I'mm cooking on the campfire and turn around to find this dog again between me and the birds. I was praying they wouldn't try to fly away before I could scare off the dog. Thankfully I scared the dog off 1st and put the birds in cages.

Yelling at the top of my voice and cursing them I threatened harm to these folks. The guy yells back "come on up here" and I fired back "anytime a%#hole as I'm packing". I am an animal lover and would never hurt one....a jerkoff owner..yes...not why i went to the mountains.

Nothing gets me riled like going far away to be dealing with total jerks.

Thankfully they left that night but my stomach was still turning.
Old 07-16-2016, 02:25 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
Vista , California
A dog on leash is very much disadvantaged when meeting another dog, they feel threatened so their response is aggression every time. Turbo spent two years with a completely untrained Rottweiler in our yard, (stupid son of my landlord & lady just brought him home one day and dumped him, basically his penis extension), so Turbo is no longer the same trusting dog he used to be. All dogs are threatening to him no matter what size they are, and being on leash is particularly threatening for him because he feels TRAPPED. We avoid dogs when on leash. However, when we are in an off leash dog park, he is very different. All dogs are off leash, so all must be on their best behavior. Acting out when you may not be able to back that up is a big mistake. Dogs are not by any means, stupid.

When I walk him in places that call for a leash, he is on leash. Between our Airstream and the jeep, no leash. Right next to the Airstream when I am present, Chris is grilling, no leash. He is well controlled by voice. I have called him off of rabbit chases verbally. However, if he does not listen and obey, because no dog, or even human, is perfect, he goes back on leash or in the Airstream. Always. When we are way backcountry backpacking, he can be off leash as long as he walks in between Chris and I. If he tries to get ahead or hang back, he goes back on leash.

I suggest you get to know these people, ask them why their dog is off leash.

Our RV park here in Texas has an off leash dog run, we bring Turbo there once or twice a day hoping that someone else will bring their dog. Turbo loves to play with other dogs when he is in that setting.

(19 recently revised from 20, revised from 23, revised from 22. Even the VA is a work in process)
Old 07-16-2016, 03:34 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Brigham City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad518 View Post
Great thread. The "rules are rules and they apply to everyone" can be applied to many topics including dogs on leashes. The only time our dog is off leash when camping is when he's in a designated dog run area and there are no other dogs present.

When I have problem neighbors I have a three step process:
1. Give them a look to let them know the violation is not welcome.
2. A short friendly verbal reminder of the specific rule. (If they look like a discussion wil escalate into an argument, skip this step and go directly to step 3.)
3. Register a complaint with the host or a park ranger. Repeat step 3 as needed.

I don't feel guilty when asking others to comply with posted rules. The rules are generally for the benefit of all.
AMEN Brother!!