Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2017, 11:53 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Richfield/SLC , Utah
Airstreamin' with Fido

I'm not even a dog owner, but I really appreciated the interesting and insightful piece contributed by one of our AS club members (Keith Lund, DVM) to our latest WBCCI club newsletter. Much of this may have been covered in previous posts/threads but I think it is worth a read for any Airstream and canine enthusiast. The embedded link takes you to the newsletter page on the WBCCI website for Utah's Wasatch Airstream Club (this is not an unsafe phishing link), where you can find the article starting on p. 2. Keith put a lot of time and effort into this article, and I thought it has potential interest and benefits beyond our modest AS Club circle. Hope you enjoy it.

http://utahswasatchairstreamclub.wbc...-2017-cmpr.pdf

Regards - Ron
Utah Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 04:56 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Santa Rosa , California
Good article, thanks for the link.

-Sean-
SeanWasHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 06:24 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
That is a great article! Thanks for sharing it.
Old 06-18-2017, 02:04 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Richfield/SLC , Utah
Happy to share... I agree it's interesting and useful. Keith and his wife are great folks that we got to know at our last UWAC rally; nice to have a vet around with so many dogs and dog lovers around.

Regards - Ron
Old 09-25-2017, 07:51 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Richfield/SLC , Utah
Airstreamin' with Fido

Well, our family now has a dog and we get to see how this first-time ASer does shortly. She's a well-natured Lab/Retriever mix but just a pup and new to the family.

We have a few things to figure-out but it's just a short trip. If anyone has pointers on camping with larger dogs (45# now but still growing), I'm interested.

Here's Luna... she came to us via the Humane Society of Utah.

Name:   IMG_1752.JPG
Views: 522
Size:  76.9 KB

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

Regards - Ron
Old 09-25-2017, 08:16 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Utah man,
We camp with our adult Golden.
Here are some tips I have.

1-bottled water. We bring a 5 gallon water can filled with water from home, or use bottled water for the dog. A small price to pay to know your pet won't have tummy trouble from unfamiliar water.
2-chuck it. This is the #1 best possible use of $20 if you have one of the sporting dogs. It's a toy that has a tennis ball and a long, curved plastic throw handle. You can throw the ball about twice as far as you could with your arm. Best part is you don't have to touch the slobbery ball when picking it up. This lets you exercise your dog while you stand in 1 place. Many campgrounds have dog off-leash areas.
3-ask your vet. Ask your vet what dosage of benadryll your dog should be given for something like a bunch of bee stings or poison ivy. It's a pretty big dose compared to humans. Be prepared.
4-flashlight on a headband. You will like to have this little gizmo to "pick up" after your dog on that last walk before bedtime. Hands free flashlight. Makes it easier to do a dirty job.
5-picnic table or tailgate. Both are excellent for brushing out your dog. Saves your back.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 08:23 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Richfield/SLC , Utah
Thanks, Piggy Bank - great suggestions!
Old 09-25-2017, 08:35 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
And thank you so very, very much for considering a rescue pup. All of ours are rescued, great travelers, and grand companions. Here are the latest two (of 4 total). All under 22 pounds each. These guys are a bonded pair picked up off the street. Total cuddlers Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2213.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	289.5 KB
ID:	295556
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 08:48 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Richfield/SLC , Utah
Thanks, rmkrum - cute pair, glad they are good companions/travelers. Luna is a bit too high on energy to be a cuddler, at least now. She's definitely my daughters dog at this point.
Old 09-26-2017, 05:03 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah Man View Post
Well, our family now has a dog and we get to see how this first-time ASer does shortly. She's a well-natured Lab/Retriever mix but just a pup and new to the family.

We have a few things to figure-out but it's just a short trip. If anyone has pointers on camping with larger dogs (45# now but still growing), I'm interested.

Attachment 295543

Regards - Ron
Congratulations on your new baby.

I keep all of Lily's treats and other supplies right by the door, allowing me to brush her, clip her nails, grab poop bags, etc., as I am going out or before coming in...just makes it easier for walks and to groom her outside.

She will likely get into the travel routine quickly, and love it...new places to sniff and do her business, animal smells to excite her, and most of all, being with her people.

Enjoy.

Maggie
Old 09-26-2017, 05:17 AM   #11
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up K9 Stream'n...

"Bo", our first PWD was responsible for us getting our first AS, he loved those Water Trials

"Fado" took over with the Classic, along with his cousin "Rainbow" the Ausie rescue.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_d1b.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	225.7 KB
ID:	295573   Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_875.jpeg
Views:	163
Size:	732.7 KB
ID:	295574  

Old 09-26-2017, 08:14 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Richfield/SLC , Utah
Thanks , Bob and Maggie - appreciate the posts.

Regards - Ron
Old 09-26-2017, 08:43 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I was concerned because Molly had never been in the truck farther than the groomers. When we decided to evacuate for Irma, I took her 650 miles. She was an absolute delight. Getting a 75 pound dog into the back seat of the truck was a hassle but after she got in, she laid down and I never heard a peep until we stopped.
I have a cover for the seat that attaches to the front and back headrests, and a harness that clips to a seatbelt so she won't go flying in a sudden stop. She lays down and snoozes.
I think I solved the lifting problem by getting a folding ramp. I'll leave it folded on the floor of the back seat until needed.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 12:41 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Richfield/SLC , Utah
Thanks, Mollysdad - sounds like an excellent traveler. Luna has a form of seat restraint, and a hammock used to protect the upholstery in our Q5. She's been a good traveler excited to take my daughter back and forth to school. This will be her first trip in the F250 but I expect she'll do well with the girl by her side on the longer trip (couple of hours.)

Regards - Ron
Old 09-26-2017, 01:14 PM   #15
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Traveling with three large dogs (two Newfoundlands and a Lab) can be "interesting". They can drink a *lot* of water, so be prepared for that. They also need a certain amount of exercise. Taking a pack of dogs out for a walk all at once may be fine with you. It may not be fine with the neighbors (people and "distractions"). Consider that part in your time budget when traveling.

One point of "etiquette". I have yet to camp anywhere ever that does not have a "no dogs left unattended" rule. I also have yet to find *any* of my dog owning fellow campers who honor this rule. I guess I should be no more shocked than I am about the fact that *some* people exceed the posted speed limits ..... ( One *might* note the total absence of any reference to *my* behavior in this paragraph .... I wonder why ... )

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 05:15 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Richfield/SLC , Utah
Thanks, Bob - interesting points. We plan to keep the dog on a leash, keep her attended (she'd do some damage to something if left alone for long -- puppy stage behavior) and hopefully not violate other dog etiquette norms. Don't want to be "that neighbor" whether camping or at home.
Old 09-26-2017, 05:37 PM   #17
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Thanks, Bob - interesting points. We plan to keep the dog on a leash, keep her attended (she'd do some damage to something if left alone for long -- puppy stage behavior) and hopefully not violate other dog etiquette norms. Don't want to be "that neighbor" whether camping or at home.
Hi

There are always issues:

What do you do when you go to Food Lion?

Do you ever visit museums or visitors centers?

Do you go out for dinner?

Wineries / breweries / distilleries *might* be on this list

In most cases, it's probably lower stress on the dog(s) to leave him / her in the trailer than in the the truck. Water / space / AC matter to fido. Cage / no cage? That depends.

Obviously butting this up against "the rules" leads to some basic decision making.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 07:13 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Our adopted bloodhound has separation anxiety. We got her when she was 2 - that's got to be odd for her...to know one family from her days as a puppy then all of a sudden she's not with her people anymore...

We were just at a rally and for the most part, DW and I split "Daisy Duty" so the other can join happy hours or meals. The one night we left her in the trailer to join a meal together, she did fairly ok although she broke her plastic dinner bowl stand. Not sure how she did that but clearly had a panicked moment.

She's learned how to be home alone ok in our non-rolling home. Just hasn't made the connection to the same safety in knowing we'll come back to the trailer....

Agree with the posted article on every point. Well done!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 08:09 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
When we first started camping, we used a baby gate in our 22 sport for our dog. We wanted a clear walking path from bed to the bathroom at night. We also used it if we left our dog in the trailer (with AC) if we went on short errands. The space by the door was the same size as the sleeping kennel at home. Once we were sure that our dog felt comfortable in the trailer we gradually stopped using it. Our dog learned that his designated space was in that area. That space had a throw rug on it.

Now we have a different trailer, but still have a throw rug in that space by the door for our dog. He just gets a little more room now.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 08:06 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Richfield/SLC , Utah
Quote:

Attachment 295543

Regards - Ron

UPDATE: Well, we had our first camping trip with Luna last weekend at Bear Lake. She loved it and did pretty well with the other dogs at the UWAC (AS club) outing - being a youngster, she's very high energy which is a bit annoying to the more seasoned and mellower dogs.

She did well in the trailer, good to stay off the couch and bed and mostly hang-out under the table on her dog bed. The furnace vent was a bit much for her when it ran. She sleeps in her kennel at night, which took up too much room in the kitchen. The 27' Classic went from being comfortably sized for the 3 of us, to cramped with 4.

Aghhh... there were some new 30' Classics there at the rally with a perfect open space for a dog bed or kennel. Another argument in favor of a trailer upgrade.... now, just need to win the lottery (need to visit ID and WY more often.) Or more likely, find a better Plan B.

Safe travels.

Regards - Ron