Old 09-26-2017, 01:14 PM   #15
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Traveling with three large dogs (two Newfoundlands and a Lab) can be "interesting". They can drink a *lot* of water, so be prepared for that. They also need a certain amount of exercise. Taking a pack of dogs out for a walk all at once may be fine with you. It may not be fine with the neighbors (people and "distractions"). Consider that part in your time budget when traveling.

One point of "etiquette". I have yet to camp anywhere ever that does not have a "no dogs left unattended" rule. I also have yet to find *any* of my dog owning fellow campers who honor this rule. I guess I should be no more shocked than I am about the fact that *some* people exceed the posted speed limits ..... ( One *might* note the total absence of any reference to *my* behavior in this paragraph .... I wonder why ... )

Bob

uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 05:15 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Richfield/SLC , Utah
Thanks, Bob - interesting points. We plan to keep the dog on a leash, keep her attended (she'd do some damage to something if left alone for long -- puppy stage behavior) and hopefully not violate other dog etiquette norms. Don't want to be "that neighbor" whether camping or at home.

Utah Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 05:37 PM   #17
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah Man View Post
Thanks, Bob - interesting points. We plan to keep the dog on a leash, keep her attended (she'd do some damage to something if left alone for long -- puppy stage behavior) and hopefully not violate other dog etiquette norms. Don't want to be "that neighbor" whether camping or at home.
Hi

There are always issues:

What do you do when you go to Food Lion?

Do you ever visit museums or visitors centers?

Do you go out for dinner?

Wineries / breweries / distilleries *might* be on this list

In most cases, it's probably lower stress on the dog(s) to leave him / her in the trailer than in the the truck. Water / space / AC matter to fido. Cage / no cage? That depends.

Obviously butting this up against "the rules" leads to some basic decision making.

Bob
Old 09-26-2017, 07:13 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Our adopted bloodhound has separation anxiety. We got her when she was 2 - that's got to be odd for her...to know one family from her days as a puppy then all of a sudden she's not with her people anymore...

We were just at a rally and for the most part, DW and I split "Daisy Duty" so the other can join happy hours or meals. The one night we left her in the trailer to join a meal together, she did fairly ok although she broke her plastic dinner bowl stand. Not sure how she did that but clearly had a panicked moment.

She's learned how to be home alone ok in our non-rolling home. Just hasn't made the connection to the same safety in knowing we'll come back to the trailer....

Agree with the posted article on every point. Well done!
SteveSueMac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 08:09 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2015 22' FB Sport
Kansas City , Missouri
When we first started camping, we used a baby gate in our 22 sport for our dog. We wanted a clear walking path from bed to the bathroom at night. We also used it if we left our dog in the trailer (with AC) if we went on short errands. The space by the door was the same size as the sleeping kennel at home. Once we were sure that our dog felt comfortable in the trailer we gradually stopped using it. Our dog learned that his designated space was in that area. That space had a throw rug on it.

Now we have a different trailer, but still have a throw rug in that space by the door for our dog. He just gets a little more room now.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 08:06 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Richfield/SLC , Utah
Quote:
Well, our family now has a dog and we get to see how this first-time ASer does shortly. She's a well-natured Lab/Retriever mix but just a pup and new to the family.

We have a few things to figure-out but it's just a short trip. If anyone has pointers on camping with larger dogs (45# now but still growing), I'm interested.

Here's Luna... she came to us via the Humane Society of Utah.

Attachment 295543

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

Regards - Ron

UPDATE: Well, we had our first camping trip with Luna last weekend at Bear Lake. She loved it and did pretty well with the other dogs at the UWAC (AS club) outing - being a youngster, she's very high energy which is a bit annoying to the more seasoned and mellower dogs.

She did well in the trailer, good to stay off the couch and bed and mostly hang-out under the table on her dog bed. The furnace vent was a bit much for her when it ran. She sleeps in her kennel at night, which took up too much room in the kitchen. The 27' Classic went from being comfortably sized for the 3 of us, to cramped with 4.

Aghhh... there were some new 30' Classics there at the rally with a perfect open space for a dog bed or kennel. Another argument in favor of a trailer upgrade.... now, just need to win the lottery (need to visit ID and WY more often.) Or more likely, find a better Plan B.

Safe travels.

Regards - Ron
Utah Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 09:23 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
All my dogs have been rescue dogs. Right now we have Judy, a 14 year old Jack Russell/ Border Collie Mix and Jack a rambunctious 3 year old some kind of terrier. We very seldom travel without them, even to national parks, and avoid leaving them unattended in the trailer.

This summer we spent a month in Coeur d'Alene. Jack learned to fetch and swim playing with the other dogs.

They are our children and our best friends. We are both seniors and they keep us active.

Here is a photo of Jack (full name Happy Jack Falcor) he was rescued from a kill shelter in Texas.

Upside down. oh well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JackChairBoise.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	247.6 KB
ID:	296416  
Old 10-07-2017, 09:40 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Thanks, Mollysdad - sounds like an excellent traveler. Luna has a form of seat restraint, and a hammock used to protect the upholstery in our Q5. She's been a good traveler excited to take my daughter back and forth to school. This will be her first trip in the F250 but I expect she'll do well with the girl by her side on the longer trip (couple of hours.)

Regards - Ron
Now that I know Molly will do well in the truck, I'm provisioning for our first trip in the new AS. I bought her a soft crate because the wire one is so hard to transport, but now that I have it, it looks huge too. Not sure where it will fit inside. She seems to have outgrown the chewing stage, so I'm hoping I can let her sleep on the floor and keep the folding crate outside. The problem is she loves everyone, and wants to jump on people and run everywhere. It will keep me from getting bored.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 09:42 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
Upside down. oh well.
Try resizing the image, even a tiny bit. I'm told that changes the metadata that keeps telling the image to invert (it thinks it's correct.)
Old 10-07-2017, 11:12 AM   #24
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

There *is* a downside to taking the dogs with you. When you get home and collapse, heading out to the back yard is no longer good enough. They *really* want to go on a walk with mom and dad .....

Yes, they do enjoy camping.

Bob
Old 04-30-2018, 07:49 AM   #25

1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Saluda , North Carolina
New rv owner, how to keep our dog cool in the rv while we’re off hiking. Run ac on generator? Any advice will be appreciated!
Jdbasho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 09:32 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdbasho View Post
New rv owner, how to keep our dog cool in the rv while we’re off hiking. Run ac on generator? Any advice will be appreciated!
There's no easy answer.
The generator could run out of gas or simply quit, then the dog is stranded in a hot trailer, even full hookups are not a guarantee, but better.
You can do a search (where it says "AIR forums") and find how others do it. It's complicated. Basically two cell phones and software to call you if the temperature gets past a certain point. Eh.
The best solution is to not be where the temperature outside gets over 80. Leave the fantastic fan on.

In reality dogs are a problem, but they give back more than they ask for.
Old 04-30-2018, 06:22 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdbasho View Post
If at all possible, we avoid areas where the AC is necessary to keep it safe in the trailer. You can get cell phone or wifi based apps or hardware to monitor temperature, but to what end? So you can find out there's an emergency back at the campsite when you're half a day's walk away?

And if it's so hot that you need the AC to be safe, do you really want to be hiking in that sort of weather anyway?

This is all beside the fact that when we're off hiking, the dogs are with us. I suppose if you had an elderly dog, they might need to stay behind for longer hikes. But otherwise, bringing the dogs is half the fun.
TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 06:38 AM   #28
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If I leave the dog at home and the house burns down, fido is in trouble. Same thing if it's 120 out and the AC fails at 8AM. Does fido have a seat belt? Does everything that goes in his mouth get a full screen before it does? Do you carry fido up and down stairs until he's at least 2 years old? (I've seen that one recommended ... try it with a 150 lb Neuf ....). This can get crazy.

Sure, don't leave the poor thing with no water. Make sure the bowl isn't one that is easily knocked over. Don't leave him for 12 hours in the trailer ( or for 12 hours at home) with no attention. ( = access to the out of doors). If it's to hot for you to survive, it's to hot for fido.

At some point the vital stuff can get lost in with all of the other ideas. There are things you very much need to do. Don't loose sight of them in with all of the paranoia. Some of this has a much higher priority than some of the rest of it.

Bob