Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > The Pet Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-25-2007, 06:24 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
A Tic Collar That Really Works!

Our vet recommended a new tic collar this year which was researched by the U of Wisconsin Vet School. Name is Preventic by Virbac. We have been using it on our dog Cromwell and he has had no ticks the entire season. I, on the other hand, even though I have no hair on my head have had ticks! We camp only in state parks and he runs in the woods, swims in lakes and rivers. He will play at a wooded dog park 2 or 3 times a week and still no ticks. Other years we have depended on the lotions, chemicals, and frequent bathing to get the ticks off. This year we check him after each outing and have yet to find a tick. Now we have gotten lazy and stopped checking. They even have a friendly e-mail reminder when it is time to change the collar. Web site is Preventic
Old 09-25-2007, 07:41 AM   #2
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1989 33' Land Yacht
Chattanooga , Tennessee
That's awesome! I can remember having to check the dogs everyday when I lived in the country. Thanks for the info!
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 08:02 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
I'll add my endorsement to the Preventic collar. I've been using them for my K9s for many years now. Nothing else has even come close to tick protection for my dogs. A must if you camp a lot like we all do.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:13 AM   #4
Cyclist

2007 28' International CCD
Windermere , Florida
Remember. It's an insecticide collar. ( Amitraz ). Think of soaking your necktie in Raid.
Watch you dog for drowsiness, itch, dry skin, poor appetite, depression, hypothermia, or, even seizure.

Tom
henw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 06:31 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Sounds promising, I'll try it on my Lab.
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 07:44 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Salem , Massachusetts
Quote:
Remember. It's an insecticide collar. ( Amitraz ). Think of soaking your necktie in Raid.
Watch you dog for drowsiness, itch, dry skin, poor appetite, depression, hypothermia, or, even seizure.

Tom
...I wonder if that is better or worse than using the frontline plus we've been using for years...

any vets out there?

our pup is getting old and we'd rather use the least chemical and most safe treatment at this stage of his life a tic collar seems a better solution

thanks for sharing
Old 09-25-2007, 10:03 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIMILI

our pup is getting old and we'd rather use the least chemical and most safe treatment at this stage of his life a tic collar seems a better solution

thanks for sharing
It's easier for us, since we moved to NH we have not needed to use collars or chemicals. Why you ask? it's because we keep our elderly cats inside. Outside is *bad* in New Boston, NH for many reasons, and none of them is in regards to road traffic. It's all about the beasts with big teeth.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 12:56 PM   #8
New to Airstreaming!

Currently Looking...
Eden Prairie , Minnesota
anyone make a trailer skirt out of these collars yet?
Old 10-01-2007, 09:39 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Salem , Massachusetts
We have a family of coyotes living in or building's yard

Mom and dad just had 4 pups, rare to spot but real cute!! and at just 5 miles from Manhattan, NYC!!

...can't imagine how big your predators are up there...
Old 10-02-2007, 09:37 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIMILI
...I wonder if that is better or worse than using the frontline plus we've been using for years...
We were using the Frontline plus and still had tics. The worse place for our dog was between his toes. This Preventic collar even takes care of that area.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:47 AM   #11

Currently Looking...
Vicksburg , Mississippi
We live in Mississippi and were excited to try this new tick collar recommended by our vet. I am not 100% sure that it was the one referenced by the OP, but I am at least 85% sure it was.

Our Chesapeake Bay Retriever proceeded to remove it within a few hours and eat the entire collar. He was close to death before we realized what happened and phoned our vet. We induced vomiting and thankfully he recovered after a terrible night of lying around almost motionless. The collar might work well, but please if you have a dog inclined to chew and/or eat plastic, exercise extreme caution.

Note that I am a flyfishing Airstream owning wannabe and I have been lurking for months. However, this posting motivated me to post my experience. I would hate for any other pet owner to suffer through our experience with a tic collar. This is a good forum and maybe one day, I will own an Airstream.
vibedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 08:17 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1957 26' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Saint Augustine , Florida
I know this was started a few years ago, but I wanted to say "thumbs up" for the Preventic collar. I have used them for years in New England. The deer ticks are horrendous and there's always the very good chance of Lyme Disease. Sadly I live in the town --so named because the first diagnosed case was from there (CT). The collars can cause side effects in a rare amount of dogs. The usual, if any, is some drowsyness the first day. The collar has to be snug- not loose like a normal house collar. You want to fit a finger under it, but not have it slide around. This collar is not to be used on cats. Cut off any long ends. The collar is effective for three-four months. I find that nothing else works for the ticks of New England. Thankfully if it's cold enough in the winter, I can get away with using the collar for the summer season only. Like anything, use precaution. This is a good product though, better than most topicals.
Silverfoxrae is offline   Reply With Quote