Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2004, 10:26 PM   #1
Creampuff

2022 27' Flying Cloud
2016 25' International
Airstream - Other
Malibu , California
A/S Dog Rescue - happy ending

Last Thanksgiving we were boondocking with our 2 dogs in the lower Sierra Mountains of Seqouia Nat.forest in CA. The weather was great , with furnace on at night and a dusting of snow on the distant slopes. Thanksgiving Day we did a turkey in the Magic Chef which turned out excellent with all the trimmings. Perfect right? It was until we came upon an abandoned dog at a trailhead who must have been out there for several weeks foraging in gopher holes for food. We coaxed it in with some fresh turkey after it ran away into the trees . It was wolfing down the bird and all the hair and wiskers on it's snout were worn off. We loaded him in the TT as our dogs were ready to have him for dinner! The nearest settlement was 20 miles away and we took him there, asked around ,put up notices and eventually had no choice but to drive him home with us 200 miles.
We had him scanned for a microchip-nopthing. Faxed all the dog pounds in 2 counties his mugshot- no luck.
Meanwhile, he's living comfortably in the A/S with 3 walks a day, a comfy gaucho
and a 'all you can eat' doggy buffet to get some meat on his chassis.
We were scheduled to fly to Toronto for Christmas and no one was interested in claiming 'Buddy' as he was now called, so our daughter in Canada asked to adopt him if we would fly him with us.
So, here's the happy ending- Buddy now lives happily as a Canadian immigrant in an apartment and his fur and whiskers are half way back to normal. He has become a wonderful comforting companion for her as she just left her fiance of 4 years . I will post Buddy's photo soon as I figure it out ,or you can see him in my photo gallery under A/S Rescue.
AIR #189

"If aluminum isn't magnetic- why am I so attracted to to it?"
Creampuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 10:39 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Rescue dog

Good to see someone else does this sort of thing. Both of my pups are rescue dogs one from boxer rescue and the other off the street.

One other thing a few months back someone recomended www.boomerangtags.com and all I can say is they are well worth the money. The best quality I have ever had.
Stinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 10:46 PM   #3

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
That was me. I love those Boomerang Tags! We have a rescued dog and two rescued cats (and one lucky dog who doesn't know what it means to be homeless). I wish we had room for all of the little guys who need homes, but we need to leave room in the trailer for us!

You're a good guy for opening your AS up to a stranger in need - glad it all worked out

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 07:30 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
awesome

what a great story! Always great to have such a happy ending.

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 02:31 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to rochsmama Send a message via Yahoo to rochsmama
What a great story! Rescue dogs make the best companions - I have 2 myself.
rochsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 05:06 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Thumbs up No doubt, my best friend!

"Peanuts" was also a stray that to this day has yet to dissappoint. He now travels with me looking for our first A/S!
Great Story. Keep them coming!
Hidalgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 12:49 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Smile So nice to here a happy ending!

Hi Creampuff;

So glad that there are people like you who really care for the unfortunate furbabies out there.

One of our girls (Taz LabXGolden) is sort of a rescue - as she was the last puppy who no one wanted (had an ear infection and a bit wobbly) and the owners were about to move so she was headed for the local shelter on the Saturday - guess who picked her up on the Friday! That was 6 years ago now and she too is a wonderful natured girl and smart!- but very lucky to be alive as 2 days later she was deathly ill and became paralized - this systemic infection - unknown - lasted for 8 weeks - but you would never know she was ever that ill today! Our vet called us the mirical workers (we had to take time off work to nurse her around the clock)- (many would have let her go) 2K + in vet bills in just her first week with us - worth every single penny!. (She is nick named our Black Gold).

Buddy must be in heaven in his? new "Forever Home" Toronto has a lot of Dog parks and Dog friendly places - even some swimming areas I hear - like pools not just the lake.

There is nothing like a pet to lift any spirits and we all will be proud streamers with our doors always open should we find a furbaby lost along our travels.

Picture taken of Taz and Haily their first time in the AS the next day we were home from our Journey home. Still a bit moldy and curtains hanging a bit squewed - lots of work ahead.

SPK
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	taz & haily gt.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	4920  
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote