Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2017, 01:16 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
Bloomfield , New York
2 dog limits but we have 3...

Hi,

Looking for some advice.

My husband and I just bought a 2015 22' Sport. We are new to RV travel. One of the reasons we chose a trailer is to be able to travel with our 3 Shetland Sheepdogs. As we are preparing to take our first test drive we thought we'd try one of the nearby state park campgrounds soon for a couple of nights, in the Finger Lakes region of New York State. The problem is that the campgrounds are limited to 2 dogs per camp site.

Does anyone have experience with this? How strict are these rules? Since it says 2 dogs per site, do people reserve two sites to accommodate the extra dog?

Any advice would be appreciated. And leaving one at home is not an option!

Thanks
can19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 01:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I've not heard of people renting two sites to accommodate a third dog, and don't know that would work since they would all still be at one site, but pet restrictions on breeds and numbers are common...but, not universal, is the good news.

Might ask for an exception and if you can't get that look, for another campground.

Good luck,

Maggie
Old 04-04-2017, 01:41 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1988 Argosy 32
Lomita , California
SERVICE DOGS, pm me about it.
Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 03:29 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I've always been asked for proof of rabies vaccinations at NYS parks, but they never came out to verify I only had two dogs (which I do). I would think if you showed up and were honest about it you'd be ok. You could always ask for the second site if they gave you a problem.
Old 04-04-2017, 03:59 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
As suggested by one here, do not fake them as service dogs. It degrades what service dogs are, they are NOT pets. I train them, they are good, they play like dogs but they are working dogs. Now, emotional support dogs are a different situation all together. Shiny 16 is right in the post made.

I'd simply tell the campground owners what you have, lots of places we go to have a two dog limit and I've seen a number of three dog families with well behaved dogs.

You could always only walk two at a time, it would be pretty hard for anyone to figure out what is going on.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 04:13 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Spring , Texas
We have three dogs and stay at parks all the time. We only state that we have 2 dogs, and we only have two dogs out of the trailer at any given time. I am not advising you do this, only stating that is what I do, and we have never been called out on it. Probably stayed at 10 or so parks with no problems
badfish_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 04:14 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Spring , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by badfish_2 View Post
We have three dogs and stay at parks all the time. We only state that we have 2 dogs, and we only have two dogs out of the trailer at any given time. I am not advising you do this, only stating that is what I do, and we have never been called out on it. Probably stayed at 10 or so parks with no problems

On a side note, we are very careful and considerate with our dogs. We do not let them bark constantly, and 100% always on leash when outside the trailer.
badfish_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 04:21 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Badfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfish_2 View Post
That's not good advice, breaking the rules you know...your a real baaaadfish!
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 04:35 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Welcome to the family can19. Honesty is the best policy. Call ahead and ask. Ironic, since three dogs is the limit per household in the city. I wonder if you can off grid anywhere on the east coast?
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 07:18 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Normally, I'm of the better to beg forgiveness than ask permission school of thought, but in this case I might lean in the direction of asking permission. I'm pretty sure that if you don't obviously have three dogs, and your dogs are fairly quiet, with maybe an occasional bark, you'll be fine. However, I can't imagine that Lupe would ever be happy inside if we were outside, and she would express her displeasure. I've never seen three dogs where you could successfully rotate two at a time outside while the third remains inside. Maybe if one of them is an old decrepit dog who just wants to lay in its bed it would work. But I'm also pretty sure that if you have three dogs lying around outside, either the management is going to notice or someone will complain. So unless you really think you can pull off making it look like you only have two dogs, I would ask permission.
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 07:24 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2004 31' Classic
Rock Hill , South Carolina
We had 3 dogs for the 1st 6 years in our Classic 31. We got it because all 3 Standard Poodles needed floor space. And we just went where there were no limits/campsite....some private as well as NY and PA state parks have restrictions. Now we're down to 'only dog' and enjoy her being in our pack.

There's plenty of places to stay.
rastapoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 07:36 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Granbury , Texas
3 dogs in a 22'??? How do you walk around them? I say get permission like others have advised.

There are thousands of rv parks...find one that allows and go from there. I have stayed at rv parks that don't allow dogs period. When ask they say that owners are the problem not the dogs. They don't pickup after them and they don't use a leash...when children are riding bikes or walking around park the dogs go nuts. A 2 dog limit is the park being considerate of all guest...not just the dog owners.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 07:42 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1958 18' "Footer"
Idyllwild , California
And....there are allot of parks that charge a fee per dog!

I would NOT try and fake a Service Dog! These are highly trained and expensive Dogs to perform specific duties NOT PETS!

We travel with 2 Wheaten Terriers and have had to "jump through hoops" but carry all of their medical records with us and that is advisable...NOT the other.
1958 California Built 18' #18-4092
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f106...on-122678.html
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 08:15 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
We'll need some dog pics [emoji3]

You mention state parks. There are many parks in the Finger Lakes region; some commercial, some state, some private - call around and see if others have the same restriction. If your heart is set on a particular park that has this restriction, personally, I would call ahead and ask what drives the policy and if it's something that doesn't really apply to your situation, ask if they could be flexible. If they can't, I'd go elsewhere. I don't recommend being dishonest about only having 2 and bringing 3 or faking a service/therapy dog status - not only because it's disrespectful to those who really use them, to other campers obeying the rules, or to society in general - but for your own well being and integrity.

Don't mean to sound like the moral police or anything - just sharing a view. Good luck - let us know how it goes and I wasn't kidding about needing those pics! [emoji3]
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 08:43 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
We travel with 4-6 dogs. As long as I point out they are small and well supervised it's not been an issue at campgrounds
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 08:46 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
We travelled extensively with our 3 dogs until unfortunately it became 2 ( lost our Sheltie ) and when we looked ahead and saw dog restrictions we called ahead and we're never turned down. I didn't want the stress of trying to be 2 when we were 3.
Personally I don't know how any place would turn down your Shelties😊
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 08:54 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
For what it's worth, we have traveled with three dogs for 15 years now and almost never had a problem. We stayed for two months at an RV park in Arizona that had both a 2 dog limit and a 10-year old trailer limit (our 1980 Caravelle was 28 years old at that time) with no problems. That was on a "don't ask--don't tell" basis".

If a campground charges a per-dog fee, we stay somewhere else.

I think an awful lot of these rules are to give the management an excuse to pitch you out if you are creating a problem.
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 05:29 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDave View Post
Normally, I'm of the better to beg forgiveness than ask permission school of thought, but in this case I might lean in the direction of asking permission. I'm pretty sure that if you don't obviously have three dogs, and your dogs are fairly quiet, with maybe an occasional bark, you'll be fine. However, I can't imagine that Lupe would ever be happy inside if we were outside, and she would express her displeasure. I've never seen three dogs where you could successfully rotate two at a time outside while the third remains inside. Maybe if one of them is an old decrepit dog who just wants to lay in its bed it would work. But I'm also pretty sure that if you have three dogs lying around outside, either the management is going to notice or someone will complain. So unless you really think you can pull off making it look like you only have two dogs, I would ask permission.
You can train dogs to do virtually whatever results one wants. Walking two while one waits inside is simple and takes about three short sessions after basic obedience training. Do this type thing every day when not traveling.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:42 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
Bloomfield , New York
thank you

I tend to be of the honesty is the best policy type. We will call and ask.

Our dogs are all very well trained. We do agility with them which is another reason we bought the trailer, a place to stay at agility competitions. They are relatively small just under 20 pounds. If we can't find a park nearby, we'll test it out at an agility competition site soon. It's ironic, there are multiple agility competitions and dog shows that take place in state parks in this region, many of those people have as many as a dozen dogs at a show!

I agree with the person who suggested that towns and cities have limits of 3 or 4 (or no limits) on the number of dogs. On the other hand, I understand limits at a campground.

I laughed at the suggestion that we can't move around the dogs in our 22' trailer. We were actually considering buying a smaller one, but decided we needed something bigger. I think we will be fine.

Thank you everyone.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:45 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
Bloomfield , New York
Sorry about your Sheltie. We love ours.