Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2015, 11:00 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Wireless brake controller?

I just bought a new car, and rather than putting in a wired brake controller I am considering a wireless model. Does anybody have experiences, good or bad, they'd care to share with wireless brake controllers?

I'd appreciate the advice.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 08:25 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Ransom Canyon , Texas
I have one. Works no problems. I can loan my RV out to my son and the remote brake controller can move to his truck.
warrenl55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 08:50 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We ordered our 2007 Mercedes ML320 CDI and it was built in October 2006. It was not until three months later that Mercedes discovered the brake control wiring had not been run the the drivers footwell. Rather than tear out the interior of the car, I purchased a Tekonsha Prodigy RF unit. The main part was attached to the 2013 25FB International Serenity street side of the 'A' frame on a pair of standoffs to clear the support bolts for the Hensley hitch.

Pairing the hand control to the brake unit has been reported to be challenging in some vehicles (especially Mercedes), but we had no issue doing the pairing.

There is an issue however with our vintage Mercedes that the four-way flasher and turn signals interfere with the RF connection and the trailer brakes pulsate in time with the flashers. There is no work around.

Due to weight issues with the 25FB and the Mercedes when the trailer was loaded for camping, we had to acquire a more robust tow vehicle in terms of weight capacity and that was a 2012 Dodge 2500HD Cummins truck. The Prodigy was removed as the truck's built in brake system worked with the usual direct connection.

When we traded the 25FB in on the 2014 31' Classic, I kept the Prodigy RF brake system as well as the Hensley hitch. We installed a ProPride hitch on the Classic.

About two years later, we purchased a 2015 23D International Serenity that had a 1,300 pound lighter GVW rating than the 25FB. We installed the Hensley on the trailer and the Prodigy was attached cross frame to the front panel of the battery box. The remote and brake control box were still paired despite being in storage all that time. The pulsation with the turn signals has continued with the Mercedes.

The brakes work just fine whether if there is no turn signal activity. Of course, one should already be slowing down before a turn signal needs to get energized....

I would suggest calling Tekonsha and inquire if there are any known issues with their Prodigy RF brake control and your proposed specific model tow vehicle.

We may decide to migrate to a Tekonsha Prodigy 3 which will require lots of work running the brake control wire to the front of the car.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 09:02 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
I have purchased a Dodge Durango, the Chrysler version of the Mercedes GL series. The vehicle already comes with the tow package, class IV hitch and trailer electrics, but it doesn't have a brake controller built in.

The wireless controller looks tempting because it's one less thing that's permanently installed, but like with all wireless connections there are more potential issues than with a plain cable. I am interested in the reliability of the setup.
Old 11-28-2015, 12:45 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
The Durango may have a built in connector located behind the side panel next to where your left foot parks itself. That's where it is on my Jeep and it was a simple plug and go. Jim
Old 11-28-2015, 04:25 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Flower View Post
The Durango may have a built in connector located behind the side panel next to where your left foot parks itself. That's where it is on my Jeep and it was a simple plug and go. Jim
Thanks Jim I'll check that. Given that the Durango and the Jeep are pretty much the same car, that might well be the case.
Old 11-28-2015, 09:58 PM   #7
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Prodigy RF - works well. Ended up with it because it was well recommended by others. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote