Old 09-22-2013, 04:59 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Riverside , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFC View Post
I'd definitely get an external transmission cooler if your vehicle doesn't already have one.

Read the owners manual I'm sure it's going to tell you 'not to tow in over-drive' (don't do it no matter how flat the terrain is).....I was told by a reputable mechanic that 'under load' an automatic transmission won't cool right in over-drive (after experiencing it first hand).
Trans temps will be higher in od with an auto or manual.The hd trucks will do just fine towing in od

2015 Toyota Tacoma trd 4x4
2000 Jeep Wrangler 4x4
Bob4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:20 AM   #16
LFC
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Memphis , Tennessee
I had a 19 fit Bambi pulled by a 2008 Tacoma V6 automatic with 6500lb towing capacity...factory hitch and trans cooler. The owners manual says do not tow in over-drive.

The truck pulled the little 19 footer along just fine in 4th gear...so fine that I decided to run in 5th (or over-drive) terrain was perfectly flat no up-shifting what so ever. I put her up in 5th and let her cruise 70 mph to be exact....i had went about 5 or 6 miles in high gear when my cell phone rang it was laying on the console next to the shifter.
I reached down to answer it and noticed it was as hot as a firecracker....at that point I put my hand on the console and it was extremely hot. I immediately put the transmission back in 4th gear and slowed down, within a few miles everything had cooled down to normal.

I talked with a Toyota tech about it....and he said something to the effect that the transmission cannot pump the fluid to cool its self properly in 5 th gear when under a load that's why the owners manual clearly states don't tow in over-drive or high gear.

I've since bought a Tundra 5.7 with the tow haul package.

Old 09-23-2013, 07:15 AM   #17
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtviewnana View Post
Thank you for all of your responses. When I go up a hill the RPMs will sometimes go to 3500 to 4500 RPMs. Should I be concerned?
I will be lookin into getting a transmission cooler this weekend. Where would I get one of these and around about how much should I pay for one?
Thanks you in advance.

A external filter/gauge kit would be a worthwhile addition.
Nice to be able to keep track of trans fluid temps especially while towing.

I would also make sure the cooler has the cold weather by-pass feature.
Keeping the trans cool while towing is important, having it warm-up quickly when cold is also important.

I would look for a B&M jobber in your area.

Good luck...

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:32 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1999 34' Excella
Cinnaminson , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob4x4 View Post
Trans temps will be higher in od with an auto or manual.The hd trucks will do just fine towing in od
This statement simply is not true. The torque converter slip is what builds heat. In OD typically the converter will be locked and therefore build LESS heat. However most manufactures do recommend not towing in OD because typical OD band clutch and torque converter lock up clutch are small and can easily be slipped and burnt when towing. Newer HD trucks are built to handle the additional stresses a d can easy handle it. Typical rule of thumb is if you have an older 4 speed trans in a non HD truck you should be cautious towing in OD you still can but you don't want the trans going in and out of OD each time this happens you build heat on the weaker smaller clutch packs that can burn or slip much easier than the larger lower gear packs.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:30 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Riverside , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by excellaf350 View Post
This statement simply is not true. The torque converter slip is what builds heat. In OD typically the converter will be locked and therefore build LESS heat. However most manufactures do recommend not towing in OD because typical OD band clutch and torque converter lock up clutch are small and can easily be slipped and burnt when towing. Newer HD trucks are built to handle the additional stresses a d can easy handle it. Typical rule of thumb is if you have an older 4 speed trans in a non HD truck you should be cautious towing in OD you still can but you don't want the trans going in and out of OD each time this happens you build heat on the weaker smaller clutch packs that can burn or slip much easier than the larger lower gear packs.
It is true. I have done my own research in multiple vehicles with gauges installed. Yes t/c slipping builds heat fast. Modern transmission are all being built with lock up. The fact remains of runs hotter than direct

2015 Toyota Tacoma trd 4x4
2000 Jeep Wrangler 4x4
Bob4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote