Old 03-31-2012, 03:28 PM   #15
Zia
3 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB International
2007 20' Safari
Irvine , California
I have been thinking to get an advice on my specific towing issue,
Purchased new 23 FB Serenity (replaced 2007 20' Safari) a few months ago towing with existing 2007 Lexus GX470 with towing capacity of 6,500 bs. I am using Reese weight distribution hitch with anti sway.
I weigh the both on a truck scale fully loaded trailer 5040 lbs, Lexus reare axcel 3260 lbs and front 2460 lbs. I also measured the car height before and after weight distribution hitch hookup with about 1/2 drop in both front and rear excel.
I have gone over 5,000 ft passes with no problem. The only issue is onced in a while I feel unstable handling even at 55 mph after I slow down a little the stable feeling comes back.
Is it a sign that I am loosing it or any other phenomenon I am unaware of?
I wish Andy could chime-in I am one of his admirer
Thanks in advance

Old 03-31-2012, 03:51 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
I wanted to respond to Kevin's post about Chevy 5.7L V-8 in a Suburban or Z-71 Pickup.. We owned a 1994 Chevy Suburban 1500 with tow pkg and used it to tow our 25' Excella.. Truck came first, and was initially matched to a 24' Lightweight Nomad trailer... Key piece of information is that pre-Vortec 5.7L Chevy V-8's were indeed gutless as tow vehicles.. Going over major hills like southern Calif Grapevine or northern Calif Siskayou's, the Suburban would be challenged to maintain 45 mph.. Vortec mod to fuel injection and more efficient intake manifold picked up an additoinal 50 horsepower, plus torque, and made a huge difference..

We now tow with fuel injected Ford Excursion/5.4L Triton V-8 combo, and do just fine for trailer that generally weighs about 6500# on the road, plus some stuff in back of Excursion.. Unless the Trailer were always towed with full water and holding tanks and lots of food, supplies, clothing, electronics, etc, the Vortec V-8 model Chevy/GMC truck should be fine..

And for Zia, there are generally three causes for handling instability to check:
1. Tire pressures on Lexus and trailer need to be checked and should be at high end of ranges
2. Trailer loading should not be "tail heavy" so be sure heavy items aren't concentrated in rear of trailer, or rear-most tanks are less than full, and propane tanks are full..
3. DO you have anti-sway setup? Either Sway bar (friction type) or anti-sway built into hitch? For shorter wheelbase tow vehicles (like Lexus) an anti-sway system is a good idea..

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 03:53 PM   #17
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zia View Post
Purchased new 23 FB Serenity (replaced 2007 20' Safari) a few months ago towing with existing 2007 Lexus GX470 with towing capacity of 6,500 bs. I am using Reese weight distribution hitch with anti sway.
I weigh the both on a truck scale fully loaded trailer 5040 lbs, Lexus reare axcel 3260 lbs and front 2460 lbs. I also measured the car height before and after weight distribution hitch hookup with about 1/2 drop in both front and rear excel.
I have gone over 5,000 ft passes with no problem. The only issue is onced in a while I feel unstable handling even at 55 mph after I slow down a little the stable feeling comes back.
Thanks in advance
Zia,

You need to post the TV alone, and the AS hitched weights, with and without the WD set, you'll probably find you need more weight on the steering axles. What sway control are you using?

Edit...sorry just saw Reese,

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 04:38 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
I would love to see you cat scale ticket, trailer loaded and just tounge weight, then trailer, tv alone, then tv with trailer connected.

Something is not correct here.... :-/
**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 04:46 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
OK,
I am going to sell my F-150 and go with our Fiat! It is equiped with Fiat's "Ultimate Tow package" too...should be no problem.
Bruce
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fiat1.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	963.1 KB
ID:	154713  
Old 03-31-2012, 04:46 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
David, maybe your friend doesn't want to use this truck for towing. It is his baby and he doesn't really want to use it as a truck, but as a car and is worried about harming this beloved vehicle. Maybe the tech told him what he wanted to hear. Sometimes it is all in the perception.

Gene
Old 03-31-2012, 04:53 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
Good point Gene - we all sometimes perceive what we so desire to hear...
**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 04:55 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifboy View Post
OK,
I am going to sell my F-150 and go with our Fiat! It is equiped with Fiat's "Ultimate Tow package" too...should be no problem.
Bruce
I should post the specs:
18HP 2 cylinder 500cc engine.
Net Vehicle Weight about 900lbs.
80K Kilometers on the odometer, engine has been rebuilt at least one time.
4 speed non synchro for the first two speeds.
Loads of fun to drive!
Bruce
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fiat2.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	1.65 MB
ID:	154714  
Old 03-31-2012, 04:56 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
Not a big Chevy man,, but

Out here in Kansas most Chevy grain trucks have a 350 engine and pull 500 bu ( 45,000 lbs gross) to town day after day and for over 200,000 miles before parts start sticking out of the sides of the block.. Not a great work engine,, and must be driven like a NACAR 90% of the time..

3.73's with smaller OD tires and a good hitch I would run a Chevy 350 any day before a little 3L Ford with 2 turbos blowing fire all the time,.. Just how I see it anyway,,

Sodbust
Old 03-31-2012, 06:32 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
friend probably made a good decision for him and his situation. no need to buy something that you will be uncomfortable with using. maybe he will find a smaller airstream to go with that truck if that is what he wants to tow with.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:46 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
The grain truck has a 5 speed transmission and a 2 speed rear end. The operators of these trucks are rarely the owner and tend to over rap the engines when driving. Especially in the fields. This is pretty brutal duty for any engine.
I pull my 26'Argosy with a 360 Dodge engine, 5 speed manual and 4:11 rear end. It does great on the flats. In the mountains the split between 3rd and 4th gear is too wide. But overall it does the job. Gets between 10.5 and 13 mpg. With the manual transmission it does a good job of holding back on the down hill therefor saving on brakes on the TV and the coach.
Would I like to have more horses? Of coarse. But the truck is a '98 3/4 ton with less than 100,000 miles on it. It would cost $40K to replace it. It's just not worth it to me.
If the truck has the axle and brake capacity and hitch capacity along with the proper transmission cooler. I say; Use it. Just don't abuse it.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:55 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
David, maybe your friend doesn't want to use this truck for towing. It is his baby and he doesn't really want to use it as a truck, but as a car and is worried about harming this beloved vehicle. Maybe the tech told him what he wanted to hear. Sometimes it is all in the perception.

Gene

honestly, I think this is the closest to the situation given some further conversations with his wife.

AIR # 410
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dsphotoscapes
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:30 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I guess this isn't a situation where you go to the doctor and tell him: "I've got this friend who has some problems with his 'privates' and wants to know what to do. I think he picked up someone in a sleazy bar."

You are a good friend to try to solve his problem, but I don't think it can be solved unless he buys another truck just for towing. A Freightliner may be just what he needs. Logic won't work.

Gene
Old 03-31-2012, 07:31 PM   #28
Prairie Schooner II

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zia
Thanks in advance
You have too much weight on your rear axel. You have to increase the load on your hitch bars. This may involve changing the angle of the bars and / or decreasing the chain length. Try to keep at least 5 or 6 links available for wiggle room. Your vehicle and your airstream should be level when you are done and the weight evenly distributed on your front and rear vehicle axels. Do it soon. You are really in an unsafe condition now. Also,you may want to beef up your tire pressure on your vehicle to near max when you are towing. Just thought of something else. You may wish to drill another hole in your shank in order to move the whole mess closer to your rear axel. Don't move it so close that you can't open the tailgate without beating on your tongue jack.