Old 08-15-2015, 05:02 PM   #113
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danattherock View Post
We want an Airstream. Seed was planted a long time ago. The 30' twin FC, or 30' Serenity ordered with twins, has my attention at moment. Local dealer has 30' Serenity on lot, sans twins of course, wife and I will take a look see Monday.

I was very impressed with quote I got on phone an hour ago at Out Of Doors Mart. MSRP was $105k on the 30' Serenity with 2nd AC, awnings, and 50 amp. I won't be driving out of state to buy which feels good.

With the agressive pricing I had got from Jersey and Tampa, I had wondered what my much smaller, local dealer could do. My parents bought their Airstream from OODM and had a great experience. Glad to have a good Airstream dealer and repair center 60 miles away.

Dan
That aggressive pricing is awesome! 30' Serenity with twins would be a sweet, sweet coach, indeed. Pull the outer bench seat to make a dedicated, comfortable spot for the dog, out of the way. Kids can both sleep on the sofa bed. Two can still sit at the dinette. Just a thought.

Old 08-15-2015, 06:45 PM   #114
4 Rivet Member

Rockingham , North Carolina
If we got a 30' twin we would leave dinette and such as is. Would need that space for meals, games, cards, etc. Also, when a tag along is added to mix, we will require the dinette to function as a bed for the third wheel. Will be nice not breaking dinette down for our two kids though as the L sofa bed is huge. One of many aspects making the 30' twin more attractive than the 27' FB twin.

As for dog space, I like that you think about it. They are part of the family. This is our second german shepherd. Amazing animals, smarter than many people I know, babysitters, kids best friend, and broad shouldered 'get some' guardian at the drop of a hat. Both of ours think they are 90 lb lap dogs. Sleep in the bed with us since the day we brought them home. Don't see that changing in Airstream. The dog, Chena, will sleep in L sofa pull out bed with the kids. I'm certain.

With that said, we love what you've done with yours. If we didn't have infant and toddler, that would be a very attractive layout. As you mentioned earlier, all the windows along with white wood really make that Serenity seem spacious. And in bedroom, if ordered with twins, it would have the rear pano window as well. The more I look, the more I like it. Going to dealer to see 30' Serenity Tuesday. Eager to see one in person. Also, looking forward to seeing my wife's face when she walks in it.

Dan

"The wilderness holds answers to questions man has not yet learned to ask."

- Nancy Newhall
Danattherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 08:12 PM   #115
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
Why shouldn't I buy a 2015 Lincoln Navigator L?

I am sure it will pull just fine. Some people do not care what there vehicle looks like as long as it does the job, right. Functionality is good.
However I think the Lincoln Navigator is one of the ugliest SUV on the market today.
I might compare it to Chrysler PT Cruiser, AMC Pacer, Buick Roadmaster or Pontiac Aztek.
Styling is not everything, but is is something, and to each his own.
My .02

-Dennis
Old 08-15-2015, 09:11 PM   #116
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
I agree on the looks thing when it comes to Navigator... and to a somewhat lesser degree Expedition and all of Ford's SUVs. They may be good performing vehicles, which is THE most important part. But the Navigator looks like it came out of a really bad cartoon/nightmare. What were Ford designers thinking when they came up with that??? Butt ug. In fact, most of Ford's SUVs suffer from ugly looks, in my view. While looks don't negate performance, to most of today's buyers, looks matter. If they perform well, however... paint me shallow for being concerned with looks.
Old 08-15-2015, 09:16 PM   #117
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
But I liked the AMC Pacer...
Old 08-15-2015, 09:43 PM   #118
4 Rivet Member

If buying a Navigator/Expedition, it would be in spite of its looks, not because of them. Nothing about the design appeals to me. This is purely a function over form pursuit. I would buy an Escalade in a heartbeat. It's the car that saved my life two years ago. Well, that and being 6'6" 320 lbs.

T bone at 55 mph with no time to brake. Had ambulance pull out in front of me, their fault, thankfully no patient in the rig. That's a crash test. Totaled my Escalade, the ambulance, and a third car (Escalade truck ironically) that was parked at side road entering the intersection.

That's about 1/2 million bucks of BANG. Paramedics had to be cut out of rig. My son was one month old at time. I have no clear memory of him till he was 6 months old. Humbling. But it literally saved my life. It's why I'm perseverating over a tow vehicle. Lots of physical and psychological scars.

Healthy for 40 years until last two, got $100k in medical bills, two surgeries, almost got paralyzed, titanium rods in back, 7-8 diagnoses now I didn't have, out of work 7 weeks back for first time since I was 15, seeing a dozen doctors, and been tested like a lab rat for 2.5 years. But I know there is always someone else doing worse. As an ER nurse for last 15 years, this I know.

Tucked my son in tonight and he told me not to let the Pirates and ghost get his suckers while he slept. Took my 9 month old daughter to bed, who wouldn't exist if any slight thing in my accident was worse. Will be in pain rest of my life, loss some function in hands and feet, and crazy as a bed bug. But lucky.

Life is good. Don't ever forget it. I know I won't.

I'm buying a big truck. Thanks guys.

Dan

- Nancy Newhall
Old 08-15-2015, 10:26 PM   #119
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Dan.... God bless you man. You've certainly been through more than most. And given more than most through your honorable career.

I'm glad you're exploring this pursuit to position your family for wonderful recreation in the years to come. You have a somewhat difficult situation to equip yourself for with the choice of truck and trailer, but I'm sure with your diligence, you will select a rig that you'll love and that will serve your family well! Remember, none of the choices is going to be perfect. Some give and take will always be involved.

Have fun on your upcoming exploratory trip!
Old 08-15-2015, 10:43 PM   #120
4 Rivet Member

Thanks man. Told wife about it when she got in from work. Showed her yours and Msmotos here. She loved it of course and had seen yours previously. But at the time I wasn't talking about buying one with twins. We were pretty fixed on the 27' FB twin lately.

I've got a MD appt at UNC Chapel Hill Tue at 0800, afterwards we are heading an hour up I-40 to dealer to see the Serenity 30' before they sell it. It will be the first 30' model we have seen. Really appreciate your insights earlier, allows me to get more out of the viewing Tuesday.

As for health, and such, thank you. I'm very fortunate and thankfully, smart enough to realize it. Won't take the next 40 years for granted, like I did the first 40. In some regards, the accident is a blessing. Or wake up call might be better word.

To say my priorities in life have changed would be an understatement. No more wasting time. Better husband. Better father. Better son. Little else matters.

Dan

- Nancy Newhall
Old 08-16-2015, 12:09 AM   #121
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
Interesting thread evolving to a decision that you would have arrived at even if you started with the Navigator. We had our Range Rover HSE before buying our 25FB Serenity and with 7,770 tow capacity, trans oil cooler, 19" disk brakes, 300 HP, 325 lbs torque all is good for now, but.... We will go to a F250 or F350 crew cab before crossing the Rockies or heading up the Alaska Highway soon. I won't give up the Rover though!
Old 08-16-2015, 12:47 AM   #122
4 Rivet Member

It was a combo of two things that tipped the scales. One, lusting after a 30' Serenity with twins after seeing Dharts. Two, getting loaded up on pain pills and reflecting over my darkest days publicly. Tried to delete, but 30 minutes had passed. Hah. A combination of buying bigger camper and a healthy dose of trauma wins out every time for the big truck.

Dan

- Nancy Newhall
Old 08-16-2015, 01:04 AM   #123
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
I know... I hate that no changes after 30 minutes thing. I'm one who usually wants to make changes, additions, deletions well after 30 minutes have passed and with this forum.... nope. You're safe among good people here, though, so don't sweat the personal stuff.
Old 08-16-2015, 04:52 PM   #124
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Rather then mess with a 30' Serenity twin bed conversion just go with a FC 30 with twin beds. You've be through a lot so no need for the extra hassle. With your intended use of weekends and the yearly 2 week vacation the Serenity, while nice inside, is just a cosmetic upgrade. The kids will still sleep on the dinette and front L Lounge even with a Serenty.

Kelvin
Old 08-16-2015, 05:02 PM   #125
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
If getting AS to build a Serenity with twins cannot be done, then I agree to go with the FC. And in that case, perhaps AS would build a FC with vista view windows in place of the cabinets over the dinette? Worth inquiring, anyway, if you prefer the more open-feeling/brighter interior.

Is there any indication that AS would absolutely not build a Serenity with twin beds?
Old 08-16-2015, 08:11 PM   #126
4 Rivet Member

Got call from AS rep hour ago. Twins in Serenity $2500. Has overhead console like L couch, three storage doors outside, and full pano window. Serenity is much nicer than FC. The extra windows alone make big difference. Adding pano in bedroom just adds more. The Serenity is nicest AS I've seen. Eager to get in 30' Serenity Tue local dealer just got in. If it impresses in person, ordering one with twins will be likely

Dan

- Nancy Newhall