Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2015, 11:09 PM   #121
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
Interesting thread evolving to a decision that you would have arrived at even if you started with the Navigator. We had our Range Rover HSE before buying our 25FB Serenity and with 7,770 tow capacity, trans oil cooler, 19" disk brakes, 300 HP, 325 lbs torque all is good for now, but.... We will go to a F250 or F350 crew cab before crossing the Rockies or heading up the Alaska Highway soon. I won't give up the Rover though!
Old 08-15-2015, 11:47 PM   #122
4 Rivet Member

Rockingham , North Carolina
It was a combo of two things that tipped the scales. One, lusting after a 30' Serenity with twins after seeing Dharts. Two, getting loaded up on pain pills and reflecting over my darkest days publicly. Tried to delete, but 30 minutes had passed. Hah. A combination of buying bigger camper and a healthy dose of trauma wins out every time for the big truck.

Dan

"The wilderness holds answers to questions man has not yet learned to ask."

- Nancy Newhall
Danattherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 12:04 AM   #123
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
I know... I hate that no changes after 30 minutes thing. I'm one who usually wants to make changes, additions, deletions well after 30 minutes have passed and with this forum.... nope. You're safe among good people here, though, so don't sweat the personal stuff.
DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 03:52 PM   #124
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Rather then mess with a 30' Serenity twin bed conversion just go with a FC 30 with twin beds. You've be through a lot so no need for the extra hassle. With your intended use of weekends and the yearly 2 week vacation the Serenity, while nice inside, is just a cosmetic upgrade. The kids will still sleep on the dinette and front L Lounge even with a Serenty.

Kelvin
Old 08-16-2015, 04:02 PM   #125
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
If getting AS to build a Serenity with twins cannot be done, then I agree to go with the FC. And in that case, perhaps AS would build a FC with vista view windows in place of the cabinets over the dinette? Worth inquiring, anyway, if you prefer the more open-feeling/brighter interior.

Is there any indication that AS would absolutely not build a Serenity with twin beds?
Old 08-16-2015, 07:11 PM   #126
4 Rivet Member

Got call from AS rep hour ago. Twins in Serenity $2500. Has overhead console like L couch, three storage doors outside, and full pano window. Serenity is much nicer than FC. The extra windows alone make big difference. Adding pano in bedroom just adds more. The Serenity is nicest AS I've seen. Eager to get in 30' Serenity Tue local dealer just got in. If it impresses in person, ordering one with twins will be likely

Dan

- Nancy Newhall
Old 08-16-2015, 08:13 PM   #127
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Dan... AS wanted $2500 to make our "recliner" option 2016 30' Serenity. We gladly took the deal.
Old 08-16-2015, 09:52 PM   #128
3 Rivet Member

We went to test drive a 2015 Sierra 2500 Duramax & 2015 Yukon Denali yesterday, both are fantastic!! Ironically we ruled out the Yukon XL pretty quickly.

With a 27' International, I really would like a 2500 to tow it. But, the nice 2500's are $$$. I would LOVE to buy one. Dalhart, they are stunning, like yours!! BUT since we do live in the city and unfortunately our travels will be mostly just weekends within ~6 hours of Dallas for the near future, I feel like we'd just enjoy the Yukon more on a day to day basis. But, many folks have very clearly shared that this would not be a good tow vehicle for an AS of that length.

If I had to pull the trigger tomorrow, I'm thinking I'd put my $ on a new Tahoe/Yukon for me (and our daily driver) and purchase an older Silverado 2500 Duramax for ~$18-25k for my husband and to tow the Airstream. Since we own a business together, we drive together 80% of the time day to day, so we could both use the Tahoe/Yukon most regularly and use the truck for towing and as the 2nd daily back up. I do like a mid size SUV day to day also, but I just love the New Tahoes!

Can't wait to hear what you decide on. It's such a mental drain going through these scenarios trying to figure out what will be best. I know you'll be thrilled when you pull the trigger!!
Hogfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 10:35 PM   #129
4 Rivet Member

Actually, to be thrilled I would have to pull the trigger twice

It's all about compromises. May have been the first advice I got here.

I want a new Escalade Or Suburban. But towing performance is uncertain. I don't want a big truck, but towing performance is certain.

Dan

- Nancy Newhall
Old 08-16-2015, 10:43 PM   #130
3 Rivet Member

I hear ya!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danattherock View Post
Actually, to be thrilled I would have to pull the trigger twice

It's all about compromises. May have been the first advice I got here.

I want a new Escalade Or Suburban. But towing performance is uncertain. I don't want a big truck, but towing performance is certain.

Dan
Old 08-16-2015, 11:41 PM   #131
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
I love Yukon, Tahoes, Escalades, and Suburbans. In my view there isn't another SUV on the planet that comes close. GM wrote the book on full size SUVs - as people movers - and that's why whenever you see high level politicians or movie stars arriving somewhere, it's almost always in a blacked-out Suburban or Yukon XL.

But this forum is all about towing. And while those vehicles can be good tow vehicles for smaller, lighter rigs, they are not truly designed to tow 27' to 30' trailers and also a good bit of miscellaneous cargo and numerous people. The cargo capacity is the primary limitation to those fabulous vehicles.

I drove a Yukon XL Denali for many years and absolutely loved it. Then I went to an Avalanche LTZ in it's next to final year. LOVED that too. Followed the Avalanche with a 2015 Yukon Denali, which I also loved. For a few months. That is until we decided to trade our 44' diesel pusher Class A motorcoach for a 30' Serenity Airstream! We needed a truly competent tow vehicle for the big silver tube!

After some days spent test driving trucks, in earnest!, and some serious thought, I readily gave up my 5 month old 2015 Yukon Denali for a 2015 Sierra Denali HD with Duramax & Allison and couldn't be happier with the move. Yes, it drives more like a truck, a very luxurious truck, and the Yukon Denali drove like a luxury car. I'm fine with that. I actually like driving a fine truck! And it is my daily driver as well, though being retired, I don't drive everyday, nor do I have to commute anywhere.

No the truck isn't as silent, speedy, nor as nimble as a full size GM SUV is, but it is a pretty close second.

What it is, in spades, is an awesome towing machine that I hook my 30' Serenity up to with total confidence. I have no qualms about towing the 30' Serenity anywhere. And living on the west coast, we have some amazing mountain passes to climb and descend.

The Denali HD is a wonderful vehicle to just drive around in, in its own right, as well. My wife and I both enjoy the size, the presence on the road, and the up-to-the-minute creature comforts of heated and cooled seats and all the other goodies. These new trucks ain't like our daddy's trucks were. They're incredible machines.

Not sure why I'm mentioning all this, except I guess as an other anecdotal bit of input from someone who has struggled with some of these same decisions. I tried to find a way to keep my 5-month old Yukon Denali as a towing machine, but it just wasn't quite cut out for that. And it's ok. We love the Sierra Denali HD as well.

We all have different sets of considerations and needs. What works perfectly for us may do so for some of you, as well, and not for others. DO your homework, realize that every choice involves compromise, make well-informed decisions, then advance confidently and GO AIRSTREAMING!

Vehicle purchases are not permanent. They are not marriages. Buy what will work for you today and, if you need to, change it up a bit down the road a piece. Enjoy the ride!
Old 08-17-2015, 11:59 AM   #132
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Don't buy no ugly truck!
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 01:54 PM   #133
4 Rivet Member

Looks are very subjective of course. Thankfully so, or I never would have found anyone to accept a diamond.

My favorite looks were with 1794 edition Tundra. But my Harley has same payload. So that shows what looks are worth. Around 1300 lbs.

I'm not crazy about the Ram mega cab looks, or short bed, but the limited edition 2016 4x4 2500 appeals to me as it is very unique, front grill for sure will stir emotions (direction varying) and rear RAM is precocious.

More importantly, it's the only truck I don't have to put a cap on as my kids and German shepherd can easily fit in back seat. That's the real draw of this truck to me. Although I have never really wanted a truck, nor needed one.

But if truck must be bought, this is the one. 6.4 Hemi with 4.10 most likely. But still got oil burning ambition. Could almost flip a quarter as either will serve us well I'm sure.

Pics here..

Car and Driver

Dan

- Nancy Newhall
Old 08-17-2015, 02:12 PM   #134
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Good looking truck, Dan. Aside from the name on the tailgate, that is, which is just a bit much (in size) for me. Not a big deal though if it meets your needs well!
Old 08-17-2015, 02:22 PM   #135
3 Rivet Member

Hi DHart, You nailed it for sure! We are right with you. I would LOVE to tow with a new Yukon Denali, but I do realize that is not the best idea and safety is #1. I think what I am maybe coming to the realization on is that our tow vehicle may not also be best suited to be our daily driver most days, and that is OK. We have sat out of the car game for the past several years because we were just putting away $ and driving inherited vehicles such as the Tahoe we have now and a CRV. But, we're finally getting to the point where we know both of those need to be replaced, partially b/c they are old, but mostly just because we want to and we can now justify the expense. But, we cannot justify the $$$ for a Denali 2500 truck + a Yukon or other similar non-truck daily driver. Since for us I think the truck would be 80% for towing and 20% for other daily usage, I think I might put my $$ on the new Yukon and look for a used 2500 truck maybe ~2006 - 2010 or so. Still a great Duramax motor, etc... just not quite as luxurious as the new ones are. But, my husband could still drive it day to day as needed, but not 100% of the time. On a side note DHart, your black Denali 2500 is my absolute #1 choice for a truck. BEAUTIFUL!!!!! I love everything about it except for parking garages and city parking day to day. A Tahoe is already sometimes challenging, but a truck would be worse. So, we shall see. Seems like we all face many of the same TV challenges and in the end, we each have to make a decision for our current situation that we think is best suited (even if still not perfect). What I REALLY want is a new Yukon or Yukon XL for towing & my husband and a new smaller SUV for me, but that's a no go b/c no towing with the Yukon for now, which means if I want one (and I do), then it's mine and it's the "small SUV"
Old 08-17-2015, 03:19 PM   #136
4 Rivet Member

I feel your pain.

Want a new Escalade so bad I can't stand it. If I could pick the brain of someone using one to tow a 30' Airstream, assuming they had good report, it's what I would buy. It would be far superior to a truck for 90% of our usage.

Hog fan,

We too have a 2005 Tahoe now, around 100k miles. Picked it up from a Dentist in Georgia when my Escalade was totaled two years ago. It's been a great SUV and was bought for $13k with 48k miles, great shape. Wondering if you have towed you 27' AS with your 2005 Tahoe. If so, what's the verdict. Good/bad. Etc.

Dan

- Nancy Newhall
Old 08-17-2015, 03:48 PM   #137
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
I think for the money I'd get the MB GL diesel. Comfortable big enough and fuel efficient. I think Richard Luhr pulled his 30' for 100k so far with one. Just saying...
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 04:05 PM   #138
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Escalade won't be as good as Navigator, but it will do it. The "problem" with either is how much junk you'll carry.

1990 Silver Streak
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 05:16 PM   #139
3 Rivet Member

Hi Dan,

We do currently tow our 27' with our 2005 Tahoe. Great vehicle. Like you've we've held onto it b/c it's been great. But, it's become more of a work horse the past few years. Still a great vehicle and one we'd likely keep for work purposes.

That said, I haven't made my mind up for towing purposes. I've learned a lot about tow vehicles since purchasing our 27'. My husband swears it tows well and that it's stable, etc.. but we're having some squatting issues when hooked up, even with the equalizer hitch. I am SURE we're exceeding our 1,300lb payload with the AS + 2 of us + (2) 100lb dogs + our stuff. The squatting makes me uncomfortable. Plus, as I read the posts about road carnage and roll overs, it looks like many of those are Tahoe's pulling 28' units or so. My husband says "those are rentals with inexperienced drivers" but seeing how we've owned our AS for about 2 months now, I would pretty much call us the same exact thing, less the rental part. So, it doesn't make me feel much better.

So...long winded way of saying - while our Tahoe CAN tow our 27', I am not certain that it SHOULD. Last night I actually had a dream that my husband rolled it That was bad. Reading too many forum posts! But, it is not untrue that our 27' is probably too much trailer for our Tahoe. But, I don't want to just run out and buy something else - trying to do my research and really give it some thought, like you.

Seems like a lot of us our trapped by the want for an SUV, but need for a truck. So, we all have to find what our balance will be.

You could ask me next week and my thoughts may have all changed (highly likely), but for now a lesser expensive used 2500 of some kind + maybe a new Yukon for daily driving to be the 'nice' car may be where my heads been at the last handful of days. If we still lived in AR, I'd take a new truck all day b/c it's less cramped for space, but here in Dallas (not even suburbs, but right in town) a truck could be a real racket most days. Driving isn't at all the issue, it's the parking! Dallas is ridiculous with all of it's "compact car only" spots EVERYWHERE when a compact car in TX is a medium to large SUV! But, you can technically get more parking spots to meet requirements that way, so they do it.
Old 08-17-2015, 05:18 PM   #140
3 Rivet Member

Also, we do like to carry gear - generators, grill, tools, chairs, etc... and I don't want to have to worry about the payload if I'm buying something new for towing purposes, so that's a big consideration!