Old 08-14-2015, 09:10 AM   #71
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
The Can-Am videos are quite convincing...it makes me feel like I overthink things.

However, when I watch the videos of cars dragging 30'er's through a slalom course I can't help think to myself, where are the bikes, the kids, the dog, the BBQ grill and the other 2 tons of crap I need for a cross country trip. It sure the hell isn't in the trunk of my Mercedes.

Old 08-14-2015, 09:19 AM   #72
4 Rivet Member

Rockingham , North Carolina
Kids in Canada don't need all that crap to be happy

"The wilderness holds answers to questions man has not yet learned to ask."

- Nancy Newhall
Danattherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 09:23 AM   #73
4 Rivet Member

Link to Andy Thomsons articles on RV Lifestyle magazine..

Can-Am RV :: Hitch Hints

- Nancy Newhall
Old 08-14-2015, 09:29 AM   #74
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danattherock View Post
Kids in Canada don't need all that crap to be happy
That's true, and by that logic we all don't need 30' Airstreams. While I love my trailer and is great for long trips, my favorite days have been when my kids were really little and we camped in a pop-up at a State Park.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:53 AM   #75
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Andy's crew at CanAm in London, Ontario modified the 2007 Mercedes hitch assembly with some creative welding and bent the Hensley stinger down slightly after shortening it about four inches to preload the Hensley screw jacks. Was told to see 3" of the screw jack and was spot on for both the 25FB and the 23D for weight distribution.

The CAT scale numbers were okay for me alone driving the 25FB home with the Mercedes. The issues arose when crossing the scales with BOTH me and the wife, a 40 pound air compressor in back and the trailer loaded for camping. Now the car's GVW was exceeded as was the front axle rating. There was a slight groan from the car drive train on a minor grade going to the CAT scales.

We researched the remaining 2012 Dodge Rams and selected one of the remaining 2012 models that had everything we wanted and would have ordered. It had no issues towing the 25FB with the truck. Now it tows the 31' Classic with a 2,700 pound heavier GVW with no issues starting, or most importantly, stopping. The numbers are all good per the CAT scales.

In your research, dig into the front disc brake details on the candidates you are considering for towing. You want a safe stop if the trailer's electric drum brakes have an issue in the mountains or a slick road or a front tire issue on the tow vehicle.

Since none of the vehicles discussed have been chump change, one needs to be correct in their assumptions before the pen hits the contract to purchase.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 10:08 AM   #76
4 Rivet Member

^^^ Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted S. View Post
That's true, and by that logic we all don't need 30' Airstreams. While I love my trailer and is great for long trips, my favorite days have been when my kids were really little and we camped in a pop-up at a State Park.

You said it man. The most fun I ever had was tent camping with my parents in the Smokies out of their red/white VW van.

Dan

- Nancy Newhall
Old 08-14-2015, 10:33 AM   #77
3 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Ojai , California
The most stressful time towing for me is on downhill stretches of road. How well will this rig handle downhill speed? If you are at or over maximum load will the tow/haul mode (or whatever it is called) be able to reduce your stress level in extreme downhill conditions? In the video you posted they talk about the Denali needing brake input to maintain control. The less I have to do to maintain my speed the more attention I can spend on whats going on around me (as in other drivers and road conditions). I am not making a judgment on your choice, just adding food for thought. If others here with similar setups can post their experiences with this, it will help you with making a good decision.
Tuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 11:13 AM   #78
1 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
Franklin , Indiana
I have a 2015 Ford Explorer Sport. It has the 3.5 eco twin turbo, tow package is standard, the suspension is independent. We are picking up our 2014 AS Sport next week should I be looking into hitch systems for weight distribution or is the Sport light enough to not bother? Would appreciate advise from the experienced.
Old 08-14-2015, 11:51 AM   #79
4 Rivet Member

Welcome to the forum Pickett. Start a thread in the hitches section and you will surely get some input. Congrats on the new camper. I'm sure your excited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
The most stressful time towing for me is on downhill stretches of road. How well will this rig handle downhill speed? If you are at or over maximum load will the tow/haul mode (or whatever it is called) be able to reduce your stress level in extreme downhill conditions? In the video you posted they talk about the Denali needing brake input to maintain control. The less I have to do to maintain my speed the more attention I can spend on whats going on around me (as in other drivers and road conditions). I am not making a judgment on your choice, just adding food for thought. If others here with similar setups can post their experiences with this, it will help you with making a good decision.

That's a good question and what little I found online was inconclusive as to how well the Tow feature, manually downshifting, worked at controlling descent. Maybe folks with Expeditions or Navigators will chime in.

Dan

- Nancy Newhall
Old 08-14-2015, 12:23 PM   #80
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
You can't go wrong on a Navigator IMHO. It's definetly the one of the very best SUV's that can tow any bumper pull on the market including any Airstream made. No modifications needed at all. While there may be some changes in the future, you are better off with the tried and true current examples. I would not give you a plugged nickle for all the modified Can-Am modifications on smaller vehicles; it's all a bunch of hog wash. I have 2 friends with recent Navigators that tow RV's and love them. My wife has an older Lincoln LT truck and it has towed our 7,000 lb utility trailer many times while I tow our AS. Go for the Navigator, you won't be disappointed.
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 01:47 PM   #81
4 Rivet Member

That is good to hear. I just spent an hour on Autotrader and the phone. Located several Lincoln Navigator L 4x4's in my area and had sales reps check driver door jamb stickers and text me pics.

I got images of 1473 lb, 1496 lb, and 1540 lb payload stickers. All Navigators are loaded basically, and there are only two main option groups, all three are the more basic of the two, which we would buy. The higher of the two option groups has 22" wheels we won't use. All three had moonroofs. Tried to make it as realistic as possible.

If buying a 27' FB twin as planned, assuming we have good WD hitch setup, reinforced hitch, whatever Andy says, I think we will be very happy with this tow vehicle. I know for a fact we will enjoy it the 25 days a month it's not connected to our rivetted home base escape pod.

This does assume of course only passengers and dog are in the Navigator. All gear will have to be in Airstream, which is not without concern. Wife and I are 500+ lbs, infant and toddler growing, 4 month old german shepherd growing. Lots of moving parts I confess.

In the end, it will come down to how much weight can realistically be applied to front axle of tow vehicle, what is distributed to AS axles, and what remains on tow vehicle rear axle.

At that point I can decide if I need to go on a diet or buy a kayak rack.

Dan

- Nancy Newhall
Old 08-14-2015, 02:37 PM   #82
Flying Cloud 27

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Union Hall , Virginia
I'm towing our 2015 FC27' FB with a 2015 Toyota Sequoia, 4wd (though not engaged all that much), tow package, 5.7L iForce V-8, Equalizer hitch. We took an 8300 mile trip west this spring, including Utah and Colorado. No problems at all...can't say we raced up across the Continental Divide, but we had plenty of power. We use the SUV as our daily car to haul dogs, friends, granddaughters and utility trailer. If I were rich, I would have a special 2 ton diesal pickup....but this vehicle seems to fit both needs.
Old 08-14-2015, 02:42 PM   #83
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Have you taken the dog kids and wife and sit in the Mega Cab and see how they all fit? Maybe the dealer will let you take it home for an hour. Two small kids should be able to fit on the 60 part of the 60/40 rear and the dog can have the floor on the 40 side. Can't see why you can't use it as a daily driver.

I wonder if a van would work?

Kelvin
Old 08-14-2015, 03:06 PM   #84
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
Have you taken the dog kids and wife and sit in the Mega Cab and see how they all fit? Maybe the dealer will let you take it home for an hour. Two small kids should be able to fit on the 60 part of the 60/40 rear and the dog can have the floor on the 40 side. Can't see why you can't use it as a daily driver.

I wonder if a van would work?

Kelvin
That probably would work with such a young dog as Dan has. Our 100 lb. Golden Lab is 11 and the 40% part of the back area would not be a comfortable fit for him except sitting up the entire time, which I wouldn't want to put on him.

Of course, every family has unique elements to consider and "fit in".

How much bigger is the back area of a MegaCab vs. a Crew Cab? Same width, I would think? Is it more than just a couple of inches longer front to back?