Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2015, 12:47 PM   #81
4 Rivet Member

Rockingham , North Carolina
That is good to hear. I just spent an hour on Autotrader and the phone. Located several Lincoln Navigator L 4x4's in my area and had sales reps check driver door jamb stickers and text me pics.

I got images of 1473 lb, 1496 lb, and 1540 lb payload stickers. All Navigators are loaded basically, and there are only two main option groups, all three are the more basic of the two, which we would buy. The higher of the two option groups has 22" wheels we won't use. All three had moonroofs. Tried to make it as realistic as possible.

If buying a 27' FB twin as planned, assuming we have good WD hitch setup, reinforced hitch, whatever Andy says, I think we will be very happy with this tow vehicle. I know for a fact we will enjoy it the 25 days a month it's not connected to our rivetted home base escape pod.

This does assume of course only passengers and dog are in the Navigator. All gear will have to be in Airstream, which is not without concern. Wife and I are 500+ lbs, infant and toddler growing, 4 month old german shepherd growing. Lots of moving parts I confess.

In the end, it will come down to how much weight can realistically be applied to front axle of tow vehicle, what is distributed to AS axles, and what remains on tow vehicle rear axle.

At that point I can decide if I need to go on a diet or buy a kayak rack.

Dan

"The wilderness holds answers to questions man has not yet learned to ask."

- Nancy Newhall
Danattherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 01:37 PM   #82
Flying Cloud 27

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Union Hall , Virginia
I'm towing our 2015 FC27' FB with a 2015 Toyota Sequoia, 4wd (though not engaged all that much), tow package, 5.7L iForce V-8, Equalizer hitch. We took an 8300 mile trip west this spring, including Utah and Colorado. No problems at all...can't say we raced up across the Continental Divide, but we had plenty of power. We use the SUV as our daily car to haul dogs, friends, granddaughters and utility trailer. If I were rich, I would have a special 2 ton diesal pickup....but this vehicle seems to fit both needs.
smlbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 01:42 PM   #83
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Have you taken the dog kids and wife and sit in the Mega Cab and see how they all fit? Maybe the dealer will let you take it home for an hour. Two small kids should be able to fit on the 60 part of the 60/40 rear and the dog can have the floor on the 40 side. Can't see why you can't use it as a daily driver.

I wonder if a van would work?

Kelvin
Old 08-14-2015, 02:06 PM   #84
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
Have you taken the dog kids and wife and sit in the Mega Cab and see how they all fit? Maybe the dealer will let you take it home for an hour. Two small kids should be able to fit on the 60 part of the 60/40 rear and the dog can have the floor on the 40 side. Can't see why you can't use it as a daily driver.

I wonder if a van would work?

Kelvin
That probably would work with such a young dog as Dan has. Our 100 lb. Golden Lab is 11 and the 40% part of the back area would not be a comfortable fit for him except sitting up the entire time, which I wouldn't want to put on him.

Of course, every family has unique elements to consider and "fit in".

How much bigger is the back area of a MegaCab vs. a Crew Cab? Same width, I would think? Is it more than just a couple of inches longer front to back?
DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 02:08 PM   #85
4 Rivet Member

^^^ Yes, much bigger. On paper, might just be three inches, but in reality much more in my opinion. For one, the height of bottom of rear seating, along with no storage box under it, allows room for a dogs body to partially rest under rear seat. He would be in back center floorboard, but not pressed up against a wall. Difficult to explain.

Kelvin,

Vans are for kidnappers, plumbers, and Scooby Doo.

Although this might (or might not) surprise some of you, if buying a vehicle today it would be a Dodge Mega Cab 3500 SRW 4x4 CTD/AISIN. Longs ways from there to a Navigator, I agree. I'm just doing my due diligence and the Navigator is the most promising SUV to consider. The more I look, the more viable the Navigator appears.

Was just following up with what Slowmover mentioned here earlier regarding big changes for 2017 Navigator. They are profound, if what I read is true. Major style change to include larger and more roomy body, 700 lbs lighter due to aluminum, and a 10 speed. Dang. That's a lot to consider when buying the same long in the tooth vehicle less than a year prior to an update.

Regarding the Mega Cab, it would actually be a good move to get our shepherd and kids in the backseat, especially the dog. His spot would be the back center floorboard. While more room than any other truck, it is still worth doing an actual dry fit. Thanks for the idea Kelvin.

Dan

- Nancy Newhall
Old 08-14-2015, 02:28 PM   #86
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Dan... a good dealership would let you take the truck overnight (or at least for an afternoon) for a "test fit" without committing to buy. Just be sure to return it free of dog hair and such... unless you don't WANT to return it!
Old 08-14-2015, 02:36 PM   #87
4 Rivet Member

Hah. I might try that and see. Would be hard to take it back the next day though. Same reason you don't let kids bring stray animals home.

Dan

- Nancy Newhall
Old 08-14-2015, 02:44 PM   #88
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
[QUOTE=Danattherock;1668851]
Kelvin,

Vans are for kidnappers, plumbers, and Scooby Doo.
[QUOTE]

But, it sounds like you already have a "Scooby" in the family

Kelvin
Old 08-14-2015, 04:08 PM   #89
4 Rivet Member

Hah. Good one. I hate vans. Nothing about them appeals to me. Thanks Moflash, three van suggestions since our Lol Athlon. Vans are not an option. Which is a good thing, if I had to research all vans in addition to trucks and SUVs, this would take even longer.

Dan

- Nancy Newhall
Old 08-14-2015, 06:38 PM   #90
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Well you guys angled gals can say what you want, but I like my dodge with the 6.7 come along he ain't scared of the passes ,up or down, and you don't have to go up with your flashers on at 30 mph, your 6 litre fords and the V 10's don't even come close, just sit back and relax at 64 mph. There is no such thing as too much horsepower or too much money, we're heading up to Powder River Pass in the morning....have a nice weekend...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 06:57 PM   #91
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Powder River Pass as in Rt 16 over the Bighorns? Just hit that last month with my Excursion 6.0 PSD. Camped at Lost Cabin, took a drive down Crazy Woman Canyon (no trailer) and engine braked all the way down Ten Sleep. Piece of cake.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 08:00 PM   #92
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
Well you guys angled gals can say what you want, but I like my dodge with the 6.7 come along he ain't scared of the passes ,up or down, and you don't have to go up with your flashers on at 30 mph, your 6 litre fords and the V 10's don't even come close, just sit back and relax at 64 mph. There is no such thing as too much horsepower or too much money, we're heading up to Powder River Pass in the morning....have a nice weekend...

You failed to read the FIRST sentence in a 90 post thread???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danattherock View Post
First of all, I will trust the good judgement of you more experienced guys and gals not to make this an advertisement for the Ram, Bow tie, or blue oval you have tattooed on your butt cheek.

I can think of about a half dozen reasons your truck sucks for my intended usage.

Otherwise I would drive 5 miles away and buy one.

Dan

- Nancy Newhall
Old 08-14-2015, 08:26 PM   #93
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Is it Dana the rock or Dan at the rock?

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 08:48 PM   #94
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Granbury , Texas
Quote:
Thanks. I appreciate the insights.

Is that 1680 lbs on the driver door jamb sticker, or literature?

Dan
Dan, I checked the door. GVWR is 7520 lbs. EL 4x2 is 5897 lbs. I guess I am actually 1623 lbs payload. Still all things considered, that ain't bad.

Looked at Fords website again to see what the 4x4 looked like. It's a couple hundred pounds heavier so guessing a little over 1400 lbs payload on those. Not sure about the Lincoln. I bet it weighs more so might be less payload. I would check that out for sure.

Noticed on Ford's website they have current new incentives on the 2015 Expeditions now cash back and 0% for 72 months! With stealers giving $??K off msrp and that Ford deal added you can't go wrong.

You know, I'm starting to wonder with your needs for a large vehicle to haul your family and pet around will the 27' Airstream even be big enough to be half way comfortable? Maybe a 30' and a Ram Mega Cab Dulley
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 08:53 PM   #95
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
...with a cap, sliding glass, and fan for the dog-

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 08:59 PM   #96
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Quote:
First of all, I will trust the good judgement of you more experienced guys and gals not to make this an advertisement for the Ram, Bow tie, or blue oval you have tattooed on your butt cheek.
I completely agree. There's no reason to be brand specific because each manufacturer has had their day and will continue to do so. Loyalty to one brand means we miss out on a fantastic product from the other team.

Let's face it, Ford had the 7.3 Powerstroke and that thing was an institution, GM's Durmax will turn anyone's head (you know you want one) and well Dodge, they had the 225 Slant Six. My grandmothers Dart ran forever.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 10:16 PM   #97
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Seems to me your decision comes down to how you see your situation moving forward. If you have something like acreage and horses, then a truck is in order. If you live in the suburbs or the city then a truck is a hassle. Do you envision mostly hauling people or hay? The Navigator can capably haul the Airstream, that's settled, what else are you seeking?
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 11:02 PM   #98
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
It does seem that the Navigator represents the best compromise, given your particular set of circumstances. You can make either of the alternatives work, it's just a matter of determining what compromises you are willing to make to achieve your desired attributes.

As for pre-determining that this vehicle has to be THE one to carry you for a long-term period... why lock yourself into that. If needs or desires change, you can change the vehicle. No need to put yourself in a self-imposed sentence with any vehicle. Make the best decision you can for today's forseeable needs and go with it. When time comes that a change might be in order, make it. It's just a vehicle, not a marriage.
Old 08-14-2015, 11:15 PM   #99
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetmaker View Post

You know, I'm starting to wonder with your needs for a large vehicle to haul your family and pet around will the 27' Airstream even be big enough to be half way comfortable? Maybe a 30' and a Ram Mega Cab Dulley.
Your a smart dude. That's the plan. If we buy 27', the Navigator appears a viable option, not absent of much consideration, but an option. Primary issue is I am pretty firm on the fact that I won't be able to put any gear whatsoever in the vehicle. That may work, but as many have cautioned, when camping with kids stuff adds up. I'm heeding that warning heavily.

If we buy a 30' bunk, which we will if I can get anyone to reply to my emails requesting twins. Airstream said no, but I contacted Ultimate Airstream in Oregon whom is a custom authorized by Airstream place. If they can modify a 30' bunk to have twins, that's what we are buying. In which case I am buying a Dodge Ram. So maybe I should apologize to PDonahue. Hmm.

Dan

- Nancy Newhall
Old 08-14-2015, 11:23 PM   #100
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
Seems to me your decision comes down to how you see your situation moving forward. If you have something like acreage and horses, then a truck is in order. If you live in the suburbs or the city then a truck is a hassle. Do you envision mostly hauling people or hay? The Navigator can capably haul the Airstream, that's settled, what else are you seeking?
Insightful and at the heart of much deliberation. We fish a lot, fly fishing namely. And have a kayak trailer we take off road on muddy and eroded trails. We run over to Johnson City,Tenn (4 hours) with raft trailer and float rivers in one of our whitewater rafts fly fishing. That's a part of lure of truck, we could carry unassembled raft and after unhooking Airstream, assemble raft and carry on truck racks, which I've been searching this past few hours. We also drive on beach at Outer Banks surf fishing and tent camping each Fall. We also mountain bike in the smokies, Tsali mainly, and hauling bikes in SUV sucks. Now we got a dog, I don't even have a plan. Kids too small to matter much at this point.

Dan

- Nancy Newhall