Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2015, 07:53 PM   #41
4 Rivet Member

Rockingham , North Carolina
You obviously didn't see the zircote wood dash inlay

It has 4.10 rear diff and 460 ft/lbs torque. It is a much nicer and more luxurious vehicle than the Expedition. We have compared both pretty closely, test drive, etc. As for styling, I don't care for either to be honest. I have owned an Escalade and two Tahoes, that's what I like.

A new Escalade or Suburban would be my preference. But the Navigator will be a superior towing SUV, so that's where we are. And price difference in two identically optioned, to extent possible, Navigator L and Expedition EL was only $9k.

Dan

"The wilderness holds answers to questions man has not yet learned to ask."

- Nancy Newhall
Danattherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 07:58 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
I tow my 30' Flying Cloud with a 2005 Ford Excursion diesel. Had a custom rack built for it and when fully loaded with the family we were several hundred pounds over capacity. We had a fair amount of stuff on board but not too bad. Had to move some to the trailer and adjust WDS a to make weights. Took 3 trips over the scales. Just got back from 1 month cross country trip including mountian driving such as crossing the Bighorns.

I couldn't see myself driving less truck with this load. If anything I would look for another old Excursion or perhaps even have one built. If those options don't work out I'd go with a truck. But there is personal preference in that, some may be fine with less. I just wish a 3/4 ton diesel SUV was still available.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 08:06 PM   #43
4 Rivet Member

A ten year old Ford 6.0 and a 30' bunkhouse adds more variables than I can decipher. Terms like 'family' and 'stuff' are difficult to add as well. But the one month cross country trip, man, that sounds awesome. I'm sure you guys had a great trip. I dream of doing the same one day.

Dan

- Nancy Newhall
Old 08-13-2015, 08:13 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
I think a Honda Odyssey would be a great vehicle for your lifestyle,just call Andy at CanAm and I am sure that he will agree.Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 08:30 PM   #45
4 Rivet Member

I think as the day grows longer, your contributions on this forum become more abrasive than usual. If I were a betting man, I would say three year old bourbon. Which would make that older than any truck you have ever owned. Lol

- Nancy Newhall
Old 08-13-2015, 09:10 PM   #46
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Tonganoxie , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
I would buy a Lincoln navigator , but I ain't you I like my dodge.
Like my Dodge Durango 5.7 Hemi. But then I pull a Oliver trailer that runs about 5500 lbs at most.
TWA640316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 09:11 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
My neighbor tows his 31' 80's Airstream with an Expedition. He used to pull with an E150 Club Wagon. I would think the Expedition would be more capable than the van, but he misses the room of the van.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 09:14 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
How many times will you tow your Airstream over the Ike gauntlet?
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 08-13-2015, 09:28 PM   #49
3 Rivet Member

Interesting thread! We're struggling with the same decisions (truck vs SUV / gas vs diesel, etc) and have been for a few months without pulling the trigger yet. I tend to lean toward the Yukon side of things but that's just a personal style preference and probably the fact that I've pretty much owned a Tahoe or Suburban for all of my adult life (and even as a kid- learned to drive on a burb too). They are very comparable vehicles though, the Yukon and Navigator. I will say, if they'd roll out a 2016 Suburban 2500 to the general public, I would buy it immediately and not think twice!! My husband would think twice $$$$$. But that would be the game changer for me. Till then we are grid locked like you for many of the same reasons. Payload is our issue- 2 adults, 2 100lb dogs + our stuff. If I was 100% confident that the Yukon XL could handle it, I'd have bought one already, but our current Tahoe squats even with Equalizer and I do NOT want that on a brand new $70k TV. So like you, here we are without a decision yet.

Best of luck & keep us posted!!!
Hogfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 09:34 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danattherock View Post
I think as the day grows longer, your contributions on this forum become more abrasive than usual. If I were a betting man, I would say three year old bourbon. Which would make that older than any truck you have ever owned. Lol

Vehicles have been both a passion and a addiction for me,(I have had hundreds).Bourbon not so much.

Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 09:53 PM   #51
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWA640316 View Post
Like my Dodge Durango 5.7 Hemi. But then I pull a Oliver trailer that runs about 5500 lbs at most.

Those are sweet campers! Saw them a while back. Impressive.

Dan

- Nancy Newhall
Old 08-13-2015, 09:55 PM   #52
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
How many times will you tow your Airstream over the Ike gauntlet?
Daily of course. I should reiterate, I don't consider TFLT an authority on towing prowess, I just enjoy their comparative videos. Gives newbies like me something to do late at night when Airforums traffic slows. Ha ha.

Dan

- Nancy Newhall
Old 08-13-2015, 10:01 PM   #53
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflash View Post
Vehicles have been both a passion and a addiction for me,(I have had hundreds).Bourbon not so much.

I know you love automobiles, just jerking the Lol chain a bit. Folks like you amuse me, nothing negative, typed dialogue being difficult of course. But you seem like the type that's always on the hunt.

Where me, upon buying my minivan or Subaru, would slam my pecker in a door before I would seek out another tow vehicle.

If I have it my way, photos of my infant and toddler will have the same Airstream and smart car in backgrounds of photographs throughout their entire childhood.

Dan

- Nancy Newhall
Old 08-13-2015, 10:12 PM   #54
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogfan View Post
Interesting thread! We're struggling with the same decisions (truck vs SUV / gas vs diesel, etc) and have been for a few months without pulling the trigger yet. I tend to lean toward the Yukon side of things but that's just a personal style preference and probably the fact that I've pretty much owned a Tahoe or Suburban for all of my adult life (and even as a kid- learned to drive on a burb too). They are very comparable vehicles though, the Yukon and Navigator. I will say, if they'd roll out a 2016 Suburban 2500 to the general public, I would buy it immediately and not think twice!! My husband would think twice $$$$$. But that would be the game changer for me. Till then we are grid locked like you for many of the same reasons. Payload is our issue- 2 adults, 2 100lb dogs + our stuff. If I was 100% confident that the Yukon XL could handle it, I'd have bought one already, but our current Tahoe squats even with Equalizer and I do NOT want that on a brand new $70k TV. So like you, here we are without a decision yet.

Best of luck & keep us posted!!!

Brother from another mother.

Sister from another mistress.

Whatever

This search for a white elephant began two months ago when I went into my local Chevy dealership, which knows me well (having bought two Tahoes and an Escalade) begging, willing to bribe, or fabricate documents if I could talk them into selling me a fleet order only 2016 Suburban 3500 HD, or whatever they call it. I got a puzzled look and double serving of no.

If the extended Escalade had 4WD, I would buy that, but again, strike three. That's when the wheels fell off, pun intended. I have searched over all the major trucks and SUV's, now revisiting my high school sweetheart one last time before getting hitched (yep, intended) and starting my adult life with new bride. Miss Mega Cab, do you take this man... Or Miss Navigator...

Dan

- Nancy Newhall
Old 08-13-2015, 10:32 PM   #55
3 Rivet Member

Ha ha ha!! Know the feeling. Somehow I am always the person who is dead set on the PERFECT thing, that clearly does not exist - 2016 Suburban 2500 - case in point. Next up on our list might be Silverado/Sierra Duramax 2500 or the new F150. Of course my husband walks in the other night talking about how he just saw a Ram and how nice that was. So......here we go again! Ironically I am the car guru, he could care less, so all things equal I'd be thrilled to find a TV that he was actually interested in.

Until then, a friend of ours has offered to sell us his 2006 Silverado LT 2500 Duramax diesel crew cab for like $17k or so. Starting to look appealing for the price and it would certainly get the job done. I know what your issue is though bc even for us we know that with two huge dogs already, one kid and we'd bust out of that truck. But, for $17k we could just cross that bridge later. Maybe that could hold us over a few years until Chevy brings back the 2500 burb ;-)
Hogfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 11:18 PM   #56
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Granbury , Texas
When we bought our 2015 Expo EL a couple months back Ford was offering some serious money off in rebates and 0% for 60 month finance (got both). The local stealer even knocked off a bunch on his end. Lot better deal than they offer on the new pickups. Of course they sell more pickups so goes to fiqure. Having owned previous Expo I can say without hesitation that these new ones are much better. They use some type of sound deadening glass now that makes for a really quiet ride. The power from that twin turbo and 6 speed is like driving a sports car compared to the old 5.4 v8. Yes, the EcoBoost is that good! Push button start, cooled and heated seats, large nav, computer dash with lots of info to scroll through, built in trailer brake control, plus much much more. We got a Platium. This is the first year Ford has offered a Platium in the Expo. Our previous was a King Ranch. Like I said, night and day difference.

Oh, the payload is 1680lbs for my EL 4x2. Not bad for a SUV and higher than many pickup trucks. Tow capacity is 9200lbs with weight distribution hitch. These new SUV's have many benefits over a pickup truck and offer real towing capabilities.

Is it the best full size SUV you can buy to tow a Airstream? Not sure but I don't have any doubt it will handle the job and do it well. Some will say that the Ford Expo looks a little old school or long in the tooth because of styling. Funny, I happen to like old school with modern ammenities. That's why I like Airstreams too! The two will work and look good together I think.

Hope this helps some. Good luck with your choice.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 12:06 AM   #57
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
Here's a thought .... Nissan NV
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NV445i.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	245440   Click image for larger version

Name:	LX9OXOQDPr5QZhnlEgVRiZ1piqnTS4DGcIMrv5fP6hm.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	245441  

WBCCI #6269

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 12:09 AM   #58
4 Rivet Member

Thanks. I appreciate the insights.

Is that 1680 lbs on the driver door jamb sticker, or literature?

Dan

- Nancy Newhall
Old 08-14-2015, 02:22 AM   #59
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Dana... if you got a pickup... how would you carry your two kids (ever growing larger) and the German Shepard in the back seat area... for any distance beyond a few miles?

As I mentioned earlier, I can't see how you can avoid going with an SUV, if you want the kids and the dog to be comfortable for any extended driving trips. I think that putting the kids and the German Shepard in the back seat area of a pickup truck, for hours at a time, would be a bit punishing, to the dog, anyway... he would not be able to lie down. Our Golden Lab consumes the bulk of the back seat area (seats flipped up to allow flat floor area for his bed) of our 3/4 ton Denali HD with Crew Cab and during any extended drives, he needs to get up and change positions numerous times to stay comfortable.
DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 03:18 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danattherock View Post
Daily of course. I should reiterate, I don't consider TFLT an authority on towing prowess, I just enjoy their comparative videos. Gives newbies like me something to do late at night when Airforums traffic slows. Ha ha.

Dan
I do somewhat consider TFLT an authority. They test drive them all for me.
TFLT comparisons are a good tool, but I'm still not gonna run out and buy an F250-
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955