Old 08-07-2013, 03:09 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
I figured it's due to all the gold bars they use for ballast. Also explains the high costs.

Old 08-07-2013, 03:30 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
I figured it's due to all the gold bars they use for ballast. Also explains the high costs.
Gold? Gold? Oh boy! (runs out and starts ripping underbelly off of the 2014 Flying Cloud). Wheeeee!

Old 08-07-2013, 04:03 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post

Well that is re-assuring...because this explanation will give reassurance to some family that assert my "craziness" for overpaying for this hunk of metal....it all makes sense now...

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:18 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
"Why do new trailers weigh more?"

for the most part, it has to do with likely the sea of higgs boson particles (ie the "higgs field") interacting with the much ligher things like neutrons and protons.

What is a Higgs Boson? - YouTube

In conclusion...the newer airstreams interact to a greater degree with the higgs field.

Props for using Bozons in casual conversation! Next task: explain, using Maxwell's equations, why light particles reflected off Airstream aluminum cause fluctuations in time
aluminitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:50 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Bigger holding tanks, particle board cabinets, solid counter tops are probably alot of the extra weight. Everything is made of particle board these days and it is alot heavier than plastic coated plywood that is in my trailer. The new stuff may look like real wood but most likely it is particle board with a veneer on it. Real wood doors or real wood on top of particle board is heavier than the tambour stuff.

Perry
Old 08-07-2013, 09:43 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB International
Annapolis , Maryland
Everything in my 2012 International is made of plywood - I didn't see any particleboard during the factory tour.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:45 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
No P-board in mine either.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:35 PM   #22
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlsmit1 View Post
I'm always surprised by how much new Airstreams weigh when compared to the old ones.

My 24 ft 1962 Tradewind originally had a dry weight of 3260#. We did a sort of half-monty that kept the original cabinetry but changed out the appliances and utilities. One one hand, we added A/C, batteries and an inverter. On the other, we took out the metal water tank and the really heavy old appliances. Our trailer now weighs... 3500#, including propane and some water. No big change.

I see that a new 23ft Flying Cloud weighs 4806# with propane only.

What makes the difference? Where does the additional weight come from? More massive furnishings?
Airstream lists the weight of the 1961 Tradewind as either 3460 or 3560 depending on bed configuration (http://www.airstream.com/files/libra...040b433aa1.pdf). It's rare for trailers to weigh less than the factory specification. Are the weights you list the full weight of the trailer including the tongue weight, or just the weight of the axle on the scales?

The new trailers are larger. 1962 was 7'4" wide and new ones are 8'0" which means a 10% overall increase in frame and body size. Since the wall-to-roof corner radius is smaller there's more usable storage space in the roof lockers but to maintain strength the frame ribs have to be bigger. New trailers have greywater tanks and have a frame and running gear that can truly support them when full. Those things together account for maybe a 15% difference.

The other main difference is in standard equipment with late model trailers including A/C, TV, microwave, stereo, a larger refrigerator, and typically more batteries. The 1950s factory weights didn't include things like the water heater or propane bottles, as these were nominally options.

Though the cabinetry is more bulky and the build is heavier it is not the main cause of weight changes.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:50 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by aluminitus View Post
Props for using Bozons in casual conversation! Next task: explain, using Maxwell's equations, why light particles reflected off Airstream aluminum cause fluctuations in time
oohhhhhh shizzle....I've done been up geek'd!! Or at least matched

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:56 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
There's no particle board in our 2007 or 2012 FC Airstream. All baltic birch plywood with veneer or solid wood framing parts.

doug
Old 08-08-2013, 05:08 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Baltic birch, because it is light, strong and the most dimensionally stable of all plywoods. The perfect wood for trailer interiors. It's also been very popular in aviation, for the same reasons.

Our 1984 International is all solid wood and ply, hang from metal frames to save weight.