Old 01-31-2019, 05:05 AM   #43
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Thanks for the update -- good to know that trick.

I guess your tow vehicle wheels have voids in the casting, so that you can run the ratchet cinch through the voids? What if your wheels were old-fashioned solid steel wheels?

Thanks,

Peter
Yes, they have voids in the casting. I didn't actually use the ratchet part of the straps because the ones I have are too long and, well, it's hard for me to explain why that made it difficult, but they just wouldn't hook up and ratchet tight because of their length. I just used the free strap and tied the strap. I guess if you had solid wheels, then you couldn't use this trick.

rlhendren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 05:14 AM   #44
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
That seems like a complicated solution, Foiled. [IMO]

Not sure why the single large hawser suggestion [Post #10] hasn't sparked any interest, except for James Mileur's Post #22 quoted below.

The "second truck" described in the original post would have tons of pulling power in 4WD, and could pull the AS and TV out easily! [with some minimal power from the first TV, and other details in Post #10]

It's not that I'm not interested in this solution. I think it's a good suggestion. At this point, it's a little more complicated than I want to attempt. But it's definitely on the list of things to try if I can't get them out of the yard using other tricks. It also has to do with availability of a second truck/helper. So far, I've been able to move the trailer about 20 feet. I have about 30 feet to go before I'm in the clear.

My first attempt with the 2x4s attached to the wheels worked really well. But I only had them on the rear wheels, which got the truck unstuck, and helped me move the trailer backward about 20 feet before losing traction again. I'm going to put on the load equalizing bars to distribute some weight off of the rear wheels, then strap 2x4s to the front tires as well, wait for the ground to dry some more, and give this another try. If that doesn't work to get it fully out of the muddy yard, then I'll try the hawser knot to hitch solution.

Old 01-31-2019, 05:51 AM   #45
4 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Plenty of good and interesting ideas here. One comment about using 4wd LO. On my truck 4wd LO disengages the traction control. You might want to try keeping the TV on regular 4wd HI while backing up.
Why it does that is probably a discussion for another time.

Anyway itís worth a try. I just skimmed through the earlier posts so if this comment is redundant I apologize.

Good luck. Are the neighbors watching? Anything good on utube yet?😳
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 07:18 AM   #46
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Greenback , Tennessee
Try OSB

You might want to get a few sheets of OSB under the truck and trailer. It might be more cost-effective than 2x10s or plywood. I like the frozen ground, too, if you can fill in the ruts you have made under the truck tires.
Gneiss Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 07:44 AM   #47
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
rlhendren, Can you post a picture of your trailer's delema? A picture is worth a thousand words. This would help us with our armchair advise.
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 08:30 PM   #48
Obviously-NOT

2017 30' Classic
Kalispell , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlhendren View Post
It's not that I'm not interested in this solution. I think it's a good suggestion. At this point, it's a little more complicated than I want to attempt. But it's definitely on the list of things to try if I can't get them out of the yard using other tricks. It also has to do with availability of a second truck/helper. So far, I've been able to move the trailer about 20 feet. I have about 30 feet to go before I'm in the clear.

My first attempt with the 2x4s attached to the wheels worked really well. But I only had them on the rear wheels, which got the truck unstuck, and helped me move the trailer backward about 20 feet before losing traction again. I'm going to put on the load equalizing bars to distribute some weight off of the rear wheels, then strap 2x4s to the front tires as well, wait for the ground to dry some more, and give this another try. If that doesn't work to get it fully out of the muddy yard, then I'll try the hawser knot to hitch solution.
Didn't happen if no pictures
Old 02-01-2019, 05:55 AM   #49
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by KK4YZ View Post
Plenty of good and interesting ideas here. One comment about using 4wd LO. On my truck 4wd LO disengages the traction control. You might want to try keeping the TV on regular 4wd HI while backing up.
Why it does that is probably a discussion for another time.

Anyway itís worth a try. I just skimmed through the earlier posts so if this comment is redundant I apologize.

Good luck. Are the neighbors watching? Anything good on utube yet?😳
Hmmmm. It's a 2016 F250 gas. I'll try switching to 4WD Hi and see if that changes anything.

The neighbors are doing just that - watching. They have yet to offer to help. lol
Old 02-01-2019, 05:56 AM   #50
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by streaminwild View Post
rlhendren, Can you post a picture of your trailer's delema? A picture is worth a thousand words. This would help us with our armchair advise.
I'll take some tonight or this weekend. Thanks.
Old 02-01-2019, 06:06 AM   #51
3 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Classic
Austin , Texas
Now that this thread is approaching a conclusion, I thought I would stir the pot a little with a totally pointless point. It is not a Hawser. It’s a rope, a tow strap, or something else. A rope is a rope is a rope until it hits a boat, and then it becomes a line. As soon as you use the line for something, it becomes something else. A hawser, halyard, sheet, rode, etc. Sailors have way too much time on their hands, so they carve scrimshaw and give names to every piece of the boat. A rope on shore may have been used as an anchor rode, but now that it’s on shore, it’s a rope again. The rope that is used to tow an RV out of the mud probably needs a name of its own.
Bbelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 06:45 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Question

Airstream = Land Yacht?

PS -- Speaking of having too much time on one's hands . . .
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 07:12 AM   #53
Obviously-NOT

2017 30' Classic
Kalispell , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbelk View Post
Now that this thread is approaching a conclusion, I thought I would stir the pot a little with a totally pointless point. It is not a Hawser. Itís a rope, a tow strap, or something else. A rope is a rope is a rope until it hits a boat, and then it becomes a line. As soon as you use the line for something, it becomes something else. A hawser, halyard, sheet, rode, etc. Sailors have way too much time on their hands, so they carve scrimshaw and give names to every piece of the boat. A rope on shore may have been used as an anchor rode, but now that itís on shore, itís a rope again. The rope that is used to tow an RV out of the mud probably needs a name of its own.
An excellent summary of the mystery of Sailors and their great business on the seas. Be sure to tie the bowline knot correctly. Can tow a house, then untie, even a 3" hawser
Old 02-01-2019, 07:57 AM   #54
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York

An amazing knot indeed!

Learned how to tie a bowline in the dark, after first looping the bitter end around a dock piling, for quick and secure docking of a sailboat I was crewing on. The captain insisted that everyone know how to do this, without hesitation, by touch alone.

A great lesson, thank you Sir!

Old 02-01-2019, 11:59 AM   #55
3 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Classic
Austin , Texas
How to tie a bowline....

Here is my son, Christmas of 2017, demonstrating the proper way to tie a bowline.

https://www.facebook.com/brad.belk.7...456964192/?t=9
Bbelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 01:13 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Amazing, thanks!

Peter