Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2019, 02:50 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Where to attach tow strap to rear of Airstream 25FC

So here's my dilemma. I pulled the AS (2010 25FC) straight back into my back yard to get it out of the way so I could have a gravel parking pad installed. Then it started to rain. And that was 2 months ago. My back yard does not drain well, and even when it's completely dry, the ground is soft. But it hasn't been dry in 2 months. I need to get the AS out. It's still hooked up to the F250 TV. I just need to drive it straight back. But the ground is so soft, that the tires just spin. I didn't try for very long because I don't want to bury the truck. If the ground would dry out just a little bit, then I'm certain that another truck pulling the AS backward would be sufficient to get us out. The second truck would be on the gravel parking pad, so sinking isn't an issue there. But with the second truck (4WD Ram 1500) and my truck both in 4WD low, idling, I think it would easily come on out.

So my question is, where to attach the tow strap to the rear of the AS? Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
rlhendren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 02:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlhendren View Post
So here's my dilemma. I pulled the AS (2010 25FC) straight back into my back yard to get it out of the way so I could have a gravel parking pad installed. Then it started to rain. And that was 2 months ago. My back yard does not drain well, and even when it's completely dry, the ground is soft. But it hasn't been dry in 2 months. I need to get the AS out. It's still hooked up to the F250 TV. I just need to drive it straight back. But the ground is so soft, that the tires just spin. I didn't try for very long because I don't want to bury the truck. If the ground would dry out just a little bit, then I'm certain that another truck pulling the AS backward would be sufficient to get us out. The second truck would be on the gravel parking pad, so sinking isn't an issue there. But with the second truck (4WD Ram 1500) and my truck both in 4WD low, idling, I think it would easily come on out.

So my question is, where to attach the tow strap to the rear of the AS? Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
Is this one of those "trick questions" from OK? Have you tried to just put 2/6 or larger under each drive wheel to get some movement? Other option might be to call a tow truck...they usually have a wench...as for hooking up to the AS and pulling backward...not sure there are any secure locations I would even try... will be interesting to see how this one is resolved!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 03:07 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
The only way I would even consider attaching a tow strap to the rear of an Airstream trailer would be to use TWO very long ones attached to the axle bracket area on each side of the frame, not the axle tube. I would not attempt to pull anywhere on the actual frame, because it is deliberately lightweight and easily damaged

This could get a straight pull and possible not damage anything 'soft'.

The best bet as others have suggested, get both the trailer and the connected tow vehicle jacked up carefully and put 2x8 material under the wheels on both before trying to back out. Be sure to use the marked jacking points on the Airstream, so you are lifting under the main frame rails.

It's going to be tedious no matter what you do. Just be careful and don't rush--it's far too easy to bend stuff, or have something fall on you...

Bummer situation--I buried a pickup truck in a soft yard one time--took several hours of digging and a tow truck to drag it out--was buried up to the frame in mere minutes. That's the last time I tried to drive into known soft ground. We won't talk about the other time I slid a pickup down a muddy driveway and ended up at a 45 degree angle with the front end hung up on a rock and the rear bumper sitting on a sidewalk....and all the wheels in the air. The tow truck driver took a full five minutes to stop laughing before he pulled me off the rock sideways... It's hard to hurt a Toyota, fortunately--just a few new scuffs in the paint.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 03:10 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Hahaha, no it’s not a trick question. Wood planks under the drive wheels is also an option. But if I can safely attach a tow strap to the rear of the AS, it would be SO MUCH easier. I don’t need much tension put on it at all. The ground is perfectly level (one reason why it’s always so wet).

A tow truck would have to attach to the same place - rear of the AS. Going forward isn’t an option. I’m already up against a fence.
Old 01-22-2019, 03:15 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Corona , California
See the little bolded edit in my last reply. If you can get under the Airstream and get two long chains or straps connected to the axle mount plate, run them back past the rear of the Airstream, and then tie those to the helper vehicle, you could possible pull hard enough to get it moving.

Just don't try pulling on the actual axle tube--they bend easily and will totally screw up the axle internals and the alignment...

This is not going to be fun, but with a little care it can be done. Keep us posted...
Old 01-22-2019, 03:22 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
See the little bolded edit in my last reply. If you can get under the Airstream and get two long chains or straps connected to the axle mount plate, run them back past the rear of the Airstream, and then tie those to the helper vehicle, you could possible pull hard enough to get it moving.

Just don't try pulling on the actual axle tube--they bend easily and will totally screw up the axle internals and the alignment...

This is not going to be fun, but with a little care it can be done. Keep us posted...
Thanks. That helps.

I will keep you posted. But it might be a while. I still need a couple of weeks without rain before I can attempt anything. That’s not usually an issue in Oklahoma. But this winter, Mother Nature is just not cooperating with me. Had I known that we were about to enter a rarely seen rainy season, I wouldn’t have pulled it back there.

Right now, the truck tires are about 1 inch below surrounding ground level. It’s always possible that when it dries, I’ll be able to just back right out. I’m just planning for the worst.
Old 01-22-2019, 03:27 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Corona , California
With the streams of winter rain storms we are seeing in California this year, then sending on your way, I can bet it's going to take a while. 6+ inches of rain in my back yard from the last series of storms in a week...which is unheard of around here!

Just be careful when you try pulling out, and let us know how it goes.
Old 01-22-2019, 07:31 PM   #8
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Edit - Use plywood crossways under truck and trailer wheels. Load will be spread much more than with 2x8 or similar. As you roll over one sheet, move it back. Edit. If you are in a hole, lift wheel and fill first. Go slow. Go very slow.

To dry out the area, run a couple of big fans for 10-12 hours before you start.

Original suggestion was edited to remove a complex idea that should only be attemped by an experienced rigger. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 07:55 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1987 34' Limited
Red Oak , Texas
Have you tried moving it first thing in the morning before the ground warms up?
I got my a/s & truck stuck in my yard last November trying to put it in the back yard. I just let it set there over night & got up next morning at day break & backed it up no problem, the ground was froze.
thomasg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 09:12 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Run a single large rope hawser ~1” diameter [and about 50’ long +/-] under the trailer and attach it to the tow vehicle’s hitch from underneath, using a large bowline knot. Then run the hawser straight back on the ground, under the trailer, to the hitch of your second pulling tow vehicle on the gravel pad. Keep all three vehicles centered over the hawser. [edit — the hawser may have to go OVER the axles to remain straight]

Apply pulling power gradually and see if the hawser binds or kinks any mechanical or propane lines under the trailer. If so, put some folded-up furniture pads between the hawser and the trailer to offset it. You will need help doing this.

Safety first!

Dig out the tow vehicle tires [edit — and trailer tires] so there is NO resistance to moving. If you have to jack up the tires and put 2x10 planks under them, that will pay off in minimizing resistance to rolling.

Apply pulling power very gently and don’t let any tires start spinning in the soft soil.

Less is more . . .

PS — do not pull on the aft end of the AS!
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 09:37 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
So from what I quickly read, you have some time. The basis for my thoughts.
First of all, get recovery straps, not chains or tow straps...google recovery straps and you will find them as they are much more forgiving on the pull that you seem to need. And get the length you need, or google how to connect them so you don't lock them in forever. pm me if you want more info than is needed here.
Then, look at what you are going to pull into and then follow the suggestions you are getting thus far.
Bottom line - chains no good for this effort in my opinion to save the trailer frame. Recovery straps and the proper protocol to use them will keep you trailer in one piece.
There is a lot of info on what straps to buy and how to connect if you google vehicle recovery that might help you. Again pm me if you want more of my experience with my son....

The best of luck!!!!
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 10:29 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Lake Elsinore , ca
Old trick for getting traction when stuck in mud off road. just ratchet strap a 2x4 to the side of the rear tires and you will easily be able to get it out. Here are a few ideas as well.

https://www.instructables.com/id/4x2...2x4-Mud-Shoes/

or you could make or buy these
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Trac-Grab...ative/40551645
Special-Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 02:42 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweybright View Post
. . .
First of all, get recovery straps . . .
. . .
Like these: https://www.amazon.com/Smittybilt-CC.../dp/B001CF4UXU

. . . and attach them per Rich -- but only in these two exact locations:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
. . .
. . . under the Airstream and get two long . . . straps connected to the axle mount plate[s], run them back past the rear of the Airstream, and then tie those to the helper vehicle, you could possible pull hard enough to get it moving.

This would be an excellent alternative to the single "hawser" solution in Post #10, but the hard part is going to be attaching the straps to the axle mounting plates. Maybe the hooks on the ends of the straps can find an edge of the steel plates to hook to, or holes at the yellow arrows in the attached photo?

Good luck,

Peter

PS -- Possible attachment points for straps at axle mounting plates at the yellow arrows IMO:

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 04:40 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasg View Post
Have you tried moving it first thing in the morning before the ground warms up?
I got my a/s & truck stuck in my yard last November trying to put it in the back yard. I just let it set there over night & got up next morning at day break & backed it up no problem, the ground was froze.
So far it hasn't been cold enough for the ground to freeze. If it does freeze, I will try it then.
Old 01-23-2019, 04:44 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Excellent ideas. Thank you to everyone for the suggestions. I'll update in a few weeks to let you know how it went.
Old 01-23-2019, 06:13 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
It should be 17* tomorrow morning for you. A good time to try again. At my uncles house I ran a load of tree branches into the woods, unloaded the pickup and was stuck in the clay on a slight incline. He had a sandbox for the grand kids to play in, so I placed sand in front of the drive wheels plus 10' and drove the 2 wheel drive out of the woods. Sprinkle a sack of sand along the rout and go slow. In the mud it can get ugly quick. If this doesn't work ULTRA15's idea with the 100' rope to the hitch area would be next. Good luck my friend
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 07:46 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
I would not attempt to pull the trailer out with straps. Put plywood sheets under the TV wheels and trailer wheels.
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 07:50 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
...they usually have a wench...
I've been doing it wrong!
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 10:02 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Like these: https://www.amazon.com/Smittybilt-CC.../dp/B001CF4UXU

. . . and attach them per Rich -- but only in these two exact locations:

This would be an excellent alternative to the single "hawser" solution in Post #10, but the hard part is going to be attaching the straps to the axle mounting plates. Maybe the hooks on the ends of the straps can find an edge of the steel plates to hook to, or holes at the yellow arrows in the attached photo?

Good luck,

Peter

PS -- Possible attachment points for straps at axle mounting plates at the yellow arrows IMO:

...no way...you may end up with a frame not parallel..trapezoidal...not strong enough to pull pickup..this has up and down strength...hook to pickup hitch..
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 10:40 AM   #20
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Google "anti slip for tires"

You'll get something like this and plenty to choose from

https://www.google.com/search?q=anti...w=1261&bih=679
*Virtual campfire at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Airs...dictsforAdults
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote