Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2018, 04:57 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
What's your preference? Over capacity TV or under capacity?

What do you prefer?

My personal experience with towing over the course of many years has put me in a wide variety of combinations including a memorable trip in a 5 ton flatbed diesel with an overloaded flatbed trailer my boss sent me over the Grapevine on the I5 with when I was too young to know any better, found out engine braking, downshifting and brakes can be exceeded pretty fast and gets scary when it does happen, only thing that saved a disaster was 30 years ago traffic was not what it is today and I was able to steer around the sparse traffic doing about 80 mph at the bottom going into the central valley.

Anyway not to bore anyone with more stories, I have grown to enjoy towing with a vehicle that has capability exceeding the tow, lots of hilly terrain here in Ca. and getting up the grades is only half of it since you still need to go back down.

Alan
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 05:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
I prefer the minimalist approach (see sig).

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 05:23 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I will not drive over capacity. But I don’t mind at capacity.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 05:27 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2021 33FB Classic
Bainbridge Island , Washington
I started out with under capacity TV and am very glad to now be in the modest over capacity range. Now tow my 27' International with a 2017 Ford F250 diesel. In fact, I have found that I no longer need a weight distribution hitch with this rig. Makes hitching and unhitching much easier/quicker.
Island Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 05:28 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Naperville , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlinCal View Post
What do you prefer?

My personal experience with towing over the course of many years has put me in a wide variety of combinations including a memorable trip in a 5 ton flatbed diesel with an overloaded flatbed trailer my boss sent me over the Grapevine on the I5 with when I was too young to know any better, found out engine braking, downshifting and brakes can be exceeded pretty fast and gets scary when it does happen, only thing that saved a disaster was 30 years ago traffic was not what it is today and I was able to steer around the sparse traffic doing about 80 mph at the bottom going into the central valley.

Anyway not to bore anyone with more stories, I have grown to enjoy towing with a vehicle that has capability exceeding the tow, lots of hilly terrain here in Ca. and getting up the grades is only half of it since you still need to go back down.

Overcapacity. I am convinced it is safer and provides a lower stress experience.
1995 & 2004 Gary Fisher Hoo-Koo-e-Koo emergency vehicles
pt.reyesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 05:47 PM   #6
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Within capacity. The difference may be how we each define capacity. My definition includes axle and tire ratings.

We have a minimalist approach. No way would I ever carry a generator, firewood, or a cast iron cooking collection on a camping trip. I prefer to manage cargo instead of buying an oversize vehicle and then filling it with things that in our opinion don't really make the trip any better. Simpler is better, and is a great way to reduce stress. YMMV.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 05:53 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
Just today I was pondering the question "would I rather have too much food, or not enough?" As soon as I figure out the answer to that one I'll work on this.
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 05:56 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithcreek View Post
Just today I was pondering the question "would I rather have too much food, or not enough?" As soon as I figure out the answer to that one I'll work on this.
We wont rush you.

Alan
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 06:22 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Renville , Minnesota
Max tow capacity for my Nissan is 6300#. Max trailer weight (gross) 4500#. That is the ratio that I prefer. And I am able to drive in a very relaxed manner.
Old 10-20-2018, 09:39 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Haute-Aboujagane , New Brunswick
I would prefer to be overcapacity but my tow vehicle is probaly at capacity as it was within our budget. Our next tow vehicle will probably be a Ford F150 for the cargo space and the ease of towing up hills.
chrisetmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 09:41 AM   #11

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Texas
Physics Applied

The Laws Of Physics will always apply. Go back go Physics 101. In a bad situation, the science end of the problem will educate or give you a heart attack. Never over load the TV or the Trailer or the sum of both vehicles based on the the TV and or YOUR ability to understand and control a rig that is beyond your abilities. It's more than just the weight. The TV brake system and the brake system of the trailer are rated for a weight and braking force. Exceed it and you do not stop. And of course, crappy tires. Just plain and simple. You cannot defeat or control the energy of a overloaded set up. I cannot understand why so many want to risk their life and that of others. Remember, you wreck.... and you are overloaded, you have liability in the situation far greater than a fender bender. It then moves from a "accident" to a "criminal" event, by the virtue of defeating the system and knowingly overloading and using your rig is an unsafe and out of spec manner. Be Safe.
The forces are:
Potential energy is defined as mechanical energy, stored energy, or energy caused by its position. The energy that a ball has when perched at a top of a steep hill while it is about to roll down is an example of potential energy.
Kinetic Energy: 1. An airplane has a large amount of kinetic energy in flight due to its large mass and fast velocity. When an object moves, it possesses kinetic energy. There are five types of kinetic energy - radiant, thermal, sound, electrical (light) and mechanical (motion). ...
Butler2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 09:45 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Greeneville , Tennessee
We always pack/load light and use a capable TV. Just remember, advise is worth what it costs.
jimfa440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 10:06 AM   #13
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

There are a bunch of numbers that relate to "capacity". I can't see any reason at all to tow with any number past it's limit. That's just common sense. Working out how you make sure that you never go over will inevitably result in being below capacity on some or all of the numbers. There simply is no way to go out and buy a tow vehicle with *exactly* the numbers you need.

Do you tow with a variety of things with you? Most of us haul along a different set of stuff for a quick weekend than we do for the 10 week summer vacation. Knowing just what will be along on "the big one" generally is only possible as you pull out of the driveway on that vacation. All the numbers need to be OK in that case. Yes, on the weekend trip you likely will be way below the limits. That's just how things work. Looking at it another way, you need more capacity when you buy the TV than just what you use on the weekend trip.

Can you mod this and mod that to impact capacity? Sure you can. If your engineering skills are good enough, you can be fairly sure of the result. Are all numbers created equal? Certainly not. Again, if your engineering degree is in good enough shape you can have lots of fun looking at this or that limit. Will a TV self destruct at 1 pound over limit? Certainly not. If you feel brave, you can get away with all sorts of stuff ...

Once you get past the numbers, there are the real limits. Does this rig perform up to your expectations? Yes some of that is real and some of that is wish fulfillment. Sorting the two out is never easy. One only has to read a few threads here to discover just how hard it can be for people. Experience does count more than a little here. So does start slow and work up from there.

If a specific badge on the side of the vehicle makes you feel better, buy the vehicle with that badge. If a particular accessory is magical in its ability to tow a trailer, by all means buy that magical accessory. Once your are convinced of the need, it really does not matter if it's real or perceived. You are *not* going to feel right towing without it.

So yes, there is a whole range of "capacity" issues. Some of them are pretty easy ( = do the math). Some of them are pretty "soft". I would never ever suggest that the soft stuff is any less important than the numbers.

Can this get expensive? Sure it can. Driving down the road in terror is not something you do to save money !!!!

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 10:19 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
McCall , Idaho
Thumbs up No brainer

I learned a long time ago, you can never have enough horse power and towing capacity! There is a reason for designed capability limits. SAFETY!
supercubep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 10:22 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Queen Creek , Arizona
Said it

Butler2016 has it right. I won't even follow a rig that even looks like the TV or trailer is over.
QC TORPEDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 10:24 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Excella 500
2017 30' Classic
Grapeview , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlinCal View Post
What do you prefer?

TV exceeds, more than capable of what I tow, always.........

Best regards and safe travels
sbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 10:39 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Excella 500
2017 30' Classic
Grapeview , Washington
Reading OP and responses, it would appear this may be a trick question...

Best regards and safe travels.
sbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 11:18 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
I much prefer under-capacity. It makes life so much more exciting, and it keeps you awake when putting in 1,000 mile/day drives. It also keeps others from following too close behind, or encroaching into your lane based on the rig's instability and unpredictability. There is nothing like the rush you get going downhills.....as you remember. (except you were not laughing at the time)
B00merang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 12:27 PM   #19
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by B00merang View Post
I much prefer under-capacity. It makes life so much more exciting, and it keeps you awake when putting in 1,000 mile/day drives. It also keeps others from following too close behind, or encroaching into your lane based on the rig's instability and unpredictability. There is nothing like the rush you get going downhills.....as you remember. (except you were not laughing at the time)
Hi

You left out the ever more empty six pack of beer by your side .....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 12:31 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Mountain View , California
OP question is in the same bucket as: would you prefer to be beautiful and rich or ugly and poor?
bono is offline   Reply With Quote