Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-18-2013, 08:34 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
What towing capacity do I need?

I'm totally new to towing. I've never hauled a thing in my life and I need some information. I know my trailer is rated at 5800 pounds. 2800 lbs each on the front and back axles. I don't know the tongue weight. I'm looking to purchase a tow vehicle but I'm not sure where to start. What kind of towing capacity do I need?
VtTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:59 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
It would be very good to load the trailer and get the tongue weight and the total weight before shopping for a TV.

Figure 6500 lbs or so for the loaded trailer and extra gear in the TV. I would want something that would tow about 7000 lbs. You will probably have a tongue weight of 800 or so lbs. So you need enough payload to carry that weight plus your gear and passengers. Whatever it is it should have the manfacturers tow package that probably will include a hitch receiver, tow mirrors, a transmission cooler, lower gearing, brake controller, etc. or have that stuff added on.

If you are looking at a TV that might be at full capacity it would be necessary to load the load the trailer and get the tongue weight ahead of time. Tongue weight and payload of the TV are what you mostly need to worry about. There should be a wide range of TV's available that will handle that trailer safely and comfortably.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 09:08 AM   #3
Rivet Master

I think more info is needed

What is the dry weight, estimate of the loaded weight?
I would start by taking the dry weight, then add weight of fresh water, water in water heater, weight of propane, food, drinks, cookware,tools, clothes, bedding.etc. I believe you are supposed to add tow vehicle cargo and passengers. Some people, myself included believe that you should aim for only using 80% of the tow vehicles towing capabilities.

I would strongly recommend a weight distribution hitch, anti sway, a transmission cooler. I think that a brake controller is mandatory.

You must have been busy restoring the trailer, to have 75 posts and haven't gotten around to asking about towing.

I have a 1973 20' Argosy. Original dry weight was 2700 lbs. Can you post some pictures of your 22'
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 09:22 AM   #4
Rivet Master

I just saw photos on flicker

I think it would be hard to load the trailer, and weigh it without having a tow vehicle, although it is really the most accurate method. You could find a friend with a tow vehicle.

It looks like you are missing the door handle and lock. Inland RV has a kit to repair them but I think it's really hard to find a replacement. 5 foot two girlfriend broke my lock trying to open it when it was locked.
Oopps sorry....off topic
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:29 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Any 1/4 ton truck or SUV will be fine as a TV.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:45 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
I this forum. Always so many knowledgeable and fast responses. Thank you all for the tips. I've been busily working on the trailer and having my dad tow it here and there for me but in looking to trade my little car for something that can haul my trailer. Was hoping for an SUV but, I'll take a truck if need be, just needs to be an extended cab for the dogs to ride comfortably.
VtTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:49 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Your Argosy is almost the same as our 73, 23'.

We are 4,500lbs road ready and use a Reese Dual Cam with 750lb bars.

Our TV was a Nissan Mini Van and 7 years ago upgraded to an Infiniti sport sedan which was set up by Can Am. Both of these TV's worked great but the extra power in the car is nice.

For this size of trailer you have many options as far as TV's are concerned. Correct set up is key.

Friends of ours tow their 22' Argosy with a 1990 Ford sedan.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:49 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
I think Bill had some good advice there.

I went and bought a honking 3/4 ton diesel pickup truck with 16,000 # towing capacity and on the scales, camp loaded, my 27' trailer weighs in at a whopping 5880 #. :-)

I am sure I could tow the trailer with something less than what I have but I'm happy. If you have 2 2800 # axles then the max load for your trailer is 5600 # and odds are good you won't hit that but it's best to know for sure by weighing at the scales.

You can check different vehicle tow capacities here; http://www.onlinetowingguide.com/gui...apacities.html

(I can't vouch for the site, just found it in a google search)

Also, since you've never towed before, I would HIGHLY recommend driver training at your local CDL truck school. No matter what you're towing with, it's great to learn from a pro how to maneuver safely and efficiently. It's not rocket science but it is different than driving your car. My wife and I did a 2-day course and 75% of it was in reverse! So glad we did!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:52 AM   #9
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
On that 22 it looks like the GVWR is 5800 lbs, dry weight is 3660 and the tongue weight is 560 lbs. You could look at Pick Ups, a van and even some truckier SUVs.

If your looking at vans and SUVs be sure to check on the hitch weights they can carry but you have lots of options. What ever you choose, give yourself some head room: in the vehicle ratings - you'll be much happier towing.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:18 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Modern minivans have a payload capacity of around 1400lbs, i.e ample for this size trailer. Many modern station wagons, like a Volvo XC70 (1200lbs) or the Ford Flex (1260lbs) could also work. Both have a short rear overhang and ample power.

For a trailer your size, a truck is certainly an option, but not the only option and not one I personally would choose. (How's that for diplomacy? )
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote