Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2013, 12:35 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
For 'Full Timing' I would want the most capable vehicle I could afford. If I was just a 'wally weekended' that would change everything. As a full timer a truck with a cap is a must. The ability to 'carry' stuff is very important.
You're a 5th-wheeler, not an Airstreamer, tuffr'. The concept of stuff is different for most of us (another arguable point). Has to be.

Our own trips (6 months each year) are with a light truck, bicycles, generator, a few hoses, and rv water softener in the bed. I think if I was full-timing I would find secure storage somewhere and call it home port, and leave as much as I could there.

Shed stuff, less is more when traveling.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:11 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
I pull a 34 foot triple axle that grosses 9600lbs with a 3.73 rear. You don't need a 4.10 unless you're pulling a 40' 5er. Get the 3.73 and go traveling
Old 01-26-2013, 04:18 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wethersfield , Connecticut
First of all, thank you everyone for your input. It has been so valuable in our decision. We are also now trying to consider other options besides a pickup, but I am not seeing much out there reasonably priced except something along the lines of a 3/4 ton van such as the chevy express. Anyone use one of these? It looks like it meets the specs for weight and payload but I don't see anything about engine/transmission cooling in them and it has a 3.42 axle but from everyone's input it seems that the axle would be okay.

Again, thank you all so much.
Thomas_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:37 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
I have a 25 FC and I tow with a Suburban 1500 5.3L. I have a 4spd and 4:10 gears. I am quite happy with the towing. If I had a choice, I'd have gotten a 3:73 gear, not a 4:10.
mstephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:43 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Columbus , Ohio
A van is a good option. My friend has the Chevy Express 2500 painted red. So it is called 'Big Red'. He does not tow with it but carries a lot of sports plagues, sports mags, and trophies that he takes to shows. He says he really likes it. My neighbor has Ford E350 which he carries people and a wheel chaired elderly person. Says he likes it.

You did say you will be full time - correct?

If so, a van might actually be better than a truck. You will still be interested in quality of life so you can carry things that you.enjoy. Life is too short not to do what you want - if you like wood working you can carry wood working stuff, if you like hiking you can carry that stuff etc. I meet a couple full timing in a 1974 25 footer. They both had fishing poles and tackle boxes because they liked to fish.

Chevy and Ford still make full size vans.

Good luck
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:41 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
So, I cannot thank everyone enough for their input!!!
I think we are going to go with a Silverado 2500HD with the 3.73 axle and the 6.0 engine. Now it is time to find one.
Again, thank you.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:02 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
Tom,
as another Newbie, i have to agree with the others.
the TV you have in mind is WELL capable of doing what you are considering.
as we are in the exact same situation, i wonder if you aren't going over what you need if this will be your DD too. i will be pulling the FC2012 and i am looking to get a Ford 4x4 150 eco Screw 3.73 rear with HD tow and Trailer pkgs 6.5' bed 18" LT tires and the Hensley Hitch. we will be FT for a least a year all over the States and most likely Canada and i am confident that these truck specs will make for a safe and uneventful tow. imho anyway. i would love to get your opinion, have you considered any Less of a truck ?
Rob
Rob,
We did consider a 1/2 ton including the Ford F150 eco but what it came down to for us is the payload. Estimating from what I have read the tongue weight would be 1000-1100lbs and that would bring down the available packing of the truck to a couple hundred pounds after passengers. I did not want this to restrict us in any way.
As we only own one car (I bike everywhere) I don't want to own 2 cars and this will be our daily driver also. The 1500 and 2500 don't seem very much difference in size. We own a CR-V right now so they are both big compared to that! Here's my main thing, I don't want to push the truck's capabilities. I want something that I can just tow with and not have to worry at all about what I am packing it up with.
That about sums up my thought process on the 1/2 ton trucks. Just what I came up with from these forums and others responses to this thread as a whole.

And congrats on full timing it next year!!!
We can't wait to hit the road.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:46 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Switz-
Good suggestions.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote