Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 10:12 AM   #1

Currently Looking...
Lees Summit , Missouri
What size truck or SUV is best?

Newbe's... We are looking to buy an Airstream but also need the truck. We are looking at the 25-28 footers. Wondering if a new Chevy 1/2 ton pickup or Tahoe will pull the newer Airstreams? Or will we need to get a 3/4 ton?? Thanks for any & all advice.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:06 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
1957 26' Overlander
Plymouth , Minnesota
I have a friend that pulls a 34' trailer with a 1/2 ton ford. He claims that the truck is everything he needs for his trailer and he is very comfortable with it. I pull a 22' trailer with a 1ton diesel. I too think my truck is everything I need to pull my trailer. I think a lot has to do with your budget, and where you plan to travel. Many of the new 1/2 tons claim to be rated for a larger trailer. I do know that I feel in control when I'm stopping and I never think twice about climbing a mountain pass.

"Life itself is the most wonderful fairy tale"
(Hans Christian Andersen)

WBCCI 10289
TAC MN-69
AIR 11240
Old 01-29-2012, 11:07 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Yes, most 1/2 ton trucks or SUV's will pull the trailer but, once you load the truck and trailer for camping you may see the need for a 3/4 ton vehicle. The tow vehicle takes a beating on the road and personally I like the HD type.
I use a 1 ton dually and like it the best. It is not necessary by any means, just my preference.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:33 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Orem , Utah
If you have the money you want the best

Dodge with cummins diesel in 4dr would work great and do it all. 2012 ford f150s have been beefed up may work. Diesels would be my choice for tow rig. I have CRD liberty jeep for small 16. Not everyone has money for diesel
Old 01-29-2012, 11:50 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
I use a BMW X5 to pull my 2002 ASCL 31' with a GVWR of 8,300 pounds. Been over the continental divide 3 times, no problem. For hauling stuff I have a Wells Cargo 12' utility trailer which cost me ~$4,000. My only regret is that I can't load my motorcycle in the X5 when pulling the AS.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:11 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Ridgefield , Washington
Think more truck than you thought you would need!

By the time you load that puppy up with all the ancillary equipment, from generator, tools, patio mat, washing supplies, barbecue, air pump, emergency roadside supplies, extra drinks, etc, you will be surprised how quickly you consume available weight capacity and room-don't forget spare luggage / toys for guests, kids, or yourselves.

We have a one ton RAM dually which we bought to tow a fiver, until we "saw the light" and purchased our AS. If I had it to do over again, I would buy at least a one ton Ram--because of the diesel engine and fuel efficiency. I never have to worry about unexpected road conditions with my truck, because it blithely tows the AS with what seems to be complete indifference!

BTW: LOVE those Airstreams! Zigi
Old 01-29-2012, 12:40 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Connellsville , Pennsylvania
After literally hundreds of thousands of miles pulling everything from cars to RV's, I can honestly say that I have never wished I had less truck. If you are buying both an Airstream and tow vehicle at the same time, you have the luxury of perfectly matching the combination. I'll also suggest something in the HD truck line. I personally drive Dodge diesels, but even a gas powered HD will give you a good base for a tow vehicle.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:49 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1981 20' International
Shasta Lake City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinablue View Post
Newbe's... We are looking to buy an Airstream but also need the truck. We are looking at the 25-28 footers. Wondering if a new Chevy 1/2 ton pickup or Tahoe will pull the newer Airstreams? Or will we need to get a 3/4 ton?? Thanks for any & all advice.

You should look at the gross vehicle weight of the trailer you want to buy. And then buy a tow vehicle that exceeds your trailer's gross towing weight. So, if you buy a trailer that has a gross weight of 7,000 pounds, you may want a tow vehicle that can tow 10,000 plus pounds. Many 1/2 ton vehicles have the ability to tow 7,000 pounds, but don't have the brakes one needs to stop in an emergency, or to go down a long steep hill. To be safe, your tow vehicle should always exceed the gross towing weight, by 20% or 30%.

Another, basic "Rule of Thumb" is... 1/2 ton vehicles can tow up to a 21' trailer, 22' and above should use a 3/4, anything above 31', one should use a 1 ton tow vehicle.

But, always look at the Gross Vehicle Weight of the trailer you're planning to tow. Because many of the older Airstreams are much lighter than newer models... so the the above "Rule" may not apply if you buy a 1972 Overlander.

Come and see me at: https://www.airforums.com/forums/f185...-71804-60.html
Trex "Airstream Nomad"
Old 01-29-2012, 03:20 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
Modern pickup trucks and SUV's advertise the trailer weight they can pull. This can be very confusing. For example an F150 / 1500 truck may advertise that it can pull a 10,000 pound trailer. But, it can only handle a payload of 1800 pounds. So if you have a trailer with a loaded tongue weight of 900 pounds you only have 900 pounds left for you, your family, and your gear in the truck. Not much margin for loading. You will shift some of that tongue weight to the trailer axles with a wd hitch.

I have a 2500 crew cab that is dedicated to hauling our 25B Safari. It is not a daily driver so I can live with the fuel economy. I actually get a little better gas mileage with the 2500 while hauling the same trailer than I did with a similar 1500. The 1500, of course, got much better mpg when traveling without a trailer hooked behind than the 2500 without a trailer behind.

I just can't make the payload numbers work for me with an F150 / 1500 while hauling a 25B Safari. I know many people pull heavier trailers with 1/2 ton trucks. They must not haul as much other gear in their truck bed the way I do.
Old 01-29-2012, 03:36 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
You can haul a little load with a big truck but you can't haul a big load with a little truck. And don't forget wheelbase---make it LONG. John
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
Old 01-29-2012, 04:40 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I wish I had less truck.

Pull our trailer with a half ton without a problem, but we spend six months a year often staying at a location for weeks or months at a time. A truck is an gas-guzzling pain in the rear as a daily driver, the longer the wheelbase, the more nuisance to drive.

Will most probably use a European diesel SUV when it comes time to trade.

doug

By the way John, that's your flag holder in front of our Airstream. Terrific product. Thank you!
Old 01-29-2012, 05:02 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
If budget is not an issue - then bigger is better.

If budget is an issue then you need to consider some basic principles in your choice of tow vehicles:

- never exceed 80% of your tow vehicles capacity
- longer wheel base is better than a shorter wheel base
- lower centre of gravity is better than a higher centre of gravity
- torque means more than horsepower
- the more marginalized your tow vehicle the more attention you need to pay to your hitch (i.e. Hensley or ProPride will help mitgate the challenges of short wheel-base and high centre-of-gravity).

Good luck - whatever your choice.

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
Old 01-29-2012, 05:57 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
More is always best

Quote:
It is always best to have more truck than you need and never need it rather than not have enough truck and need it. You can haul anything with just about anything if you are willing to make the necessary additions to do so but that does not make it safe! What ever you look at remember to add 2500 lbs to that weight of the trailer for all extras such as clothes, food, cooking supplies (ie Dishes, pans), camping gear.
Me personally I would tell ya to look at a 3/4 ton for the 25-35

Sarge
NRA, DAV, PGR, DRA
Old 01-29-2012, 06:16 PM   #14
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Welcome Aboard....

Quote:
Semper-Fi?

As you can tell by the answers, everyone's got view's on this.

It is better to have more than you need, than need more than you have.

How much is what's hard to decide. Research the loaded weights of the trailers you like. Add 800-1100lbs for the total you'll be towing. The stated Factory tongue weights are notoriously light, our's by 250-350lbs depending on load. Make sure the hitch will handle it.

Take into consideration what you will taking with you in the TV.(tow vehicle)

A properly equipped 1/2 ton of any brand will work, but you really have to pay attention to payload and axle ratings.

Stop at a rural dealer with a good truck inventory, look for a lot filled with white trucks. A dealer that sells a lot of trucks is going to be more familiar with the towing requirements of their commercial customers.
Double check whatever the salesperson tells you.

We use a 3/4 Burb for our 25' Classic, (Classic's are considerably heavier than other models), very pleased with the results.

Sweet Streams....

Bob
Old 01-29-2012, 06:31 PM   #15

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

First off, welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

As to you question, the simple answer is yes. You can tow a 25 to 28 foot Airstream with a half ton truck. That being said, you might find that you may not be comfortable towing that much trailer with a half ton.

We have a 2005 25FB named Lucy, that we have used and towed extensively (990 nights/90,000 miles). Lucy tips the scales at 7,400# ready to camp with a 900# tongue weight. We originally towed Lucy with our '04 Tahoe. We found this combination to be OK, but not to our complete satisfaction. The Tahoe just strained a little too much for our liking, and we found the braking capabilities less that confidence-inspiring. We felt that the half ton Tahoe was marginal for the job at hand.

We then towed Lucy with our two Suburban 3/4 tons with the 6.0 liter gasoline engine. These worked flawlessly in every department for the 7.400# Lucy.

We recently went to a one ton Duramax as we have added a 3,000# truck camper to the mix.

Bottom line is that if you don't plan to go far or often, the half ton will probably be just fine. If you are planning long trips in challenging terrain, you might want to consider something heftier.

Remember that an insufficient tow vehicle is the primary cause of a perfectly good Airstream becoming a very expensive piece of yard art.

Good luck in your pursuit of the perfect Airstream.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 01-29-2012, 06:32 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
No doubt about it, a big truck is a pain to drive/park on an everyday basis. BUT, the pain is worth it when you hitch up & head down the road. The tail absolutely cannot wag the dog. Too many things can go wrong that you have no control over, like blowouts, crazy/reckless drivers, mechanical failures, rough roads,etc, which may require drastic actions. The longer, heavier the truck the better the chances to maintain control.
When it comes to TV's, more is better. Just an opinion. And you know what they say about opinions ,ask 10 people, get 11 answers! John
Doug, love those flags!
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
Old 01-29-2012, 06:35 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
2001 25' Excella
2001 30' Classic S/O
2022 Atlas
Western slope , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinablue
Not only look at what you can tow but what it will take to stop it. My 3/4 is great at towing and will do it all day, any day. But ask yourself if you have enough vehicle to stop yourself (and whatever you put in it) when your AS drum brakes fade after two miles going downhill on a 6% grade and that 18 wheeler going 25 pulls out of the slow lane while you are doing 65. Scary.... Yes...will it ever happen to you,.... never thought it would happen to me.

Change the shorts. Remove the pucker from all the seats, be thankfully for having more than you need!

Cheers
Old 01-29-2012, 08:05 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
You don't need a big truck to get big brakes. And that oversized truck has to stop itself before it can stop your Airstream.

doug k
Old 01-29-2012, 08:31 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Hmmm

Ok, I try not to get into these debates but here goes my 2 cents worth....

People claim they can tow a 34 foot Airstream with a 1/2 ton with no problems, Ive even seen somewhere where it was posted that a person tows a 34 foot Airstream with a Dodge Dakota....

Well when we first bought our Airstream 30 footer, I towed it home with a 08 Chevy 4 door 1/2 ton 2 wheel drive 4.8L engine. It was about a 3 hour drive home and when we got home I looked over at Mrs. S and I said "we have got to get a bigger truck.'' I felt like the truck was constanly down shifting for every little slope in the road. There is one hill right before our home and it knocked me from 65 mph to about 50 miles an hour and the truck was really pushing hard. I knew it would not be good for the tranny of this truck to continue pulling in such a struggle. So we bought a 11 diesel Dodge Mega Cab 4x4 6.7L Dually, and its the best darn decsion we have ever made. I dont mean as far as truck brand, get whatever brand you like. I just mean as far as torque and HP.

Now I would love for a 1/2 ton or that Dodge Dakota pulling that 34 footer follow me up Bob Cat Pass (9820 ft. Elevation) and then down the other side and we stop in Red River, New Mexico and then he tell me hes got all the power he needs for pulling that trailer. Bet them brakes would be pretty darn hot as well......but what do I know its just my 2 censt worth
Id rather have more truck than Ill ever need then wish I would have gotten what I needed hands down any day.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:46 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
2001 25' Excella
2001 30' Classic S/O
2022 Atlas
Western slope , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr & Mrs S
Ok, I try not to get into these debates but here goes my 2 cents worth....

People claim they can tow a 34 foot Airstream with a 1/2 ton with no problems, Ive even seen somewhere where it was posted that a person tows a 34 foot Airstream with a Dodge Dakota....

Well when we first bought our Airstream 30 footer, I towed it home with a 08 Chevy 4 door 1/2 ton 2 wheel drive 4.8L engine. It was about a 3 hour drive home and when we got home I looked over at Mrs. S and I said "we have got to get a bigger truck.'' I felt like the truck was constanly down shifting for every little slope in the road. There is one hill right before our home and it knocked me from 65 mph to about 50 miles an hour and the truck was really pushing hard. I knew it would not be good for the tranny of this truck to continue pulling in such a struggle. So we bought a 11 diesel Dodge Mega Cab 4x4 6.7L Dually, and its the best darn decsion we have ever made. I dont mean as far as truck brand, get whatever brand you like. I just mean as far as torque and HP.

Now I would love for a 1/2 ton or that Dodge Dakota pulling that 34 footer follow me up Bob Cat Pass (9820 ft. Elevation) and then down the other side and we stop in Red River, New Mexico and then he tell me hes got all the power he needs for pulling that trailer. Bet them brakes would be pretty darn hot as well......but what do I know its just my 2 censt worth
Id rather have more truck than Ill ever need then wish I would have gotten what I needed hands down any day.
I agree!
Closed Thread