Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 11:03 AM   #239
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
This is just my opinion, and should be taken as such, but I believe if you are reasonably within the manufacturer's stated capacities of your tow vehicle, you will have no problems, even if you are involved in an accident.

However, if you do some of the things that I have read discribed here as "goofy", like tow a 34' Airstream with a compact sedan, you are leaving yourself open for lots of exposure, especially in the even of an accident, God forbid a loss of life accident.

YMMV

Old 04-17-2012, 11:37 AM   #240
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Question Life is a matter of choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
So why do we waste so very, very much time on legal crap when the op specifically asks what to tow with, not how much trouble with the law will I be in if I tow with a . . . ?

(And I don't really want anybody to answer this, it's just a statement.)

doug k
Doug,

You are not supposed to end a statement with a question mark.

In any case this is not an answer to your question directly, it is a series of observations and opinions. Since they are my personal opinions that I have lived with for a long time, I hold them quite dear.

What takes these subjects off subject, is the fact that we all have varying opinions on what is desirable or acceptable.

Personally, I feel death or serious injury is a greater concern than being sued.

You have to think positively about this apparently touchy subject that seems to arouse sensitive feelings.

If you tow using your equipment over its ratings, there is a distinct chance you will end up killing yourself. In that case the possibility of you being personally involved in litigation is greatly reduced. Every cloud has a silver lining.

That brings up the following feeling options.

1. Tow within ratings and feel safe.

2. Tow outside the ratings and plan that, if something happens, it will be terminal. Thus no worries about litigation.

3. Tow outside ratings and plan that you will only be injured, and worry then about litigation.

4. Tow outside the ratings and plan for nothing to happen, but worry about if you are right.

To me the choice is simple. However we each have different priorities and judgment skills. That is why I always drive as though everyone else on the highway is likely to do something crazy at any moment.

All of this aside, when someone comes to the forums with a question, my personal feeling is that it is incumbent on all of us to give them an answer that can be backed up with documentation (in this case, published specs). Once again my feelings only: It is doing the originator a disservice to provide advice that can only be documented with anecdotes (Also known as experiences).

I did not read this entire thread in detail in order to not cloud my opinions with facts. However I think you and I feel similarly about this subject.

Ken

Old 04-17-2012, 01:28 PM   #241
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Thanks Ken.

However, ratings are questionable at best, perhaps worthless when it comes to safety. A highly rated truck has proven to be a handful in emergency maneuvers, and dangerous when they turn over. A marginally rated Euro-type SUV can handles such maneuvers with relative ease compared to the truck, and a safer place to be if you lose it.

Ratings do not address this but our forum has, in spite of endless warnings about ratings, often by those attempting to justify two or three times the towing power they need, while sitting smugly inside a truck that may not be nearly as safe as they think.

doug k
Old 04-17-2012, 02:51 PM   #242

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Thanks Ken.

However, ratings are questionable at best, perhaps worthless when it comes to safety. A highly rated truck has proven to be a handful in emergency maneuvers, and dangerous when they turn over. A marginally rated Euro-type SUV can handles such maneuvers with relative ease compared to the truck, and a safer place to be if you lose it.

Ratings do not address this but our forum has, in spite of endless warnings about ratings, often by those attempting to justify two or three times the towing power they need, while sitting smugly inside a truck that may not be nearly as safe as they think.

doug k
I will agree that as far as avoiding a mishap, even my wife's Smart Car is far superior to our Dodge truck. However, I'm not sure about survivability if avoidance is not achieved.

I've posted this before but I can't resist it now. Note: It is safe, because we are using a ProPride hitch with 1400# bars. I know the bars are heavy, but I don't think we will beat the trailer to death. This is the epitome of a small european SUV. It is made by Mercedes, so how could anything go wrong.

Ken

READY FOR VACATION -
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0132 (Large).jpg
Views:	51
Size:	157.0 KB
ID:	156064   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0130.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	434.5 KB
ID:	156065  

Old 04-17-2012, 03:21 PM   #243
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Non emergency situations are more likely to turn into emergency situations with a marginal tow vehicle. jim
Old 04-17-2012, 05:53 PM   #244
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
Non emergency situations are more likely to turn into emergency situations with a marginal tow vehicle. jim
Which leads one to ask the million dollar question....."what is a marginal TV"?

Many believe it is a TV that is towing above 80% of it's tow rating, or 50% or 150% or 500% whatever. Or a vehicle that is at it's payload max spec.

Some believe it is a TV that has a high centre of gravity, poor brakes, short wheelbase, very long wheelbase, vague steering, too heavy weight, too light weight, cheap tires, small tires, extra large tires, vehicles with dated designs, vehicles that lack new technology, stiff suspension, soft suspension etc, etc etc.

It is a very complex mystery with 1,001 different opinions.

PS.... and we still haven't talked about towing prowess of the trailer, or quality of hitch hardware, adequacy, or the adjustment and set up of the whole lot.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:15 PM   #245
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

If you haven't soiled 'yer drawer's yet, your doing just fine.

Where was CanAm when I didn't need them?

Damn...I'm lucky to be alive.

Bob

ďAfter all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.Ē
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but Iím the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
Old 04-17-2012, 07:38 PM   #246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ruler View Post
Which leads one to ask the million dollar question....."what is a marginal TV"?

;................................................. ......

This link will take you to an example of a margarinal tow vehicle.

Please note that it is a large European Mercedes SUV.

Ken

Can anyone tell that I am having difficulty focusing on the seriousness of this discussion?
Old 04-18-2012, 03:29 AM   #247
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1970 31' Sovereign
1978 31' Sovereign
1978 31' Sovereign
pinkenba , QLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Too empirical.....

Bob
What do you mean bob ?
Old 04-18-2012, 06:08 AM   #248
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Marginal TV

OMHO, but any TV can be marginal, according to the nut behind the wheel. Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
Old 04-18-2012, 06:23 AM   #249
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewaegeman View Post
What do you mean bob ?

......based on, concerned with, or verifiable by observation or experience rather than theory or pure logic : they provided considerable empirical evidence to support their argument.

Arguments usually ensue whenever said topic is addressed.

Anything between this and this will werk.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2006_chevrolet_silverado_3500_dually.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	156106  
Attached Images

ďAfter all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.Ē
RLC

RLC
Old 04-18-2012, 07:53 AM   #250
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
A thread like this proves anyone can rationalize in order to try and prove their point. I find it interesting that some are so defensive. Usually means that deep down they know their facts are iffy. jim
Old 04-18-2012, 09:15 AM   #251
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
In our pursuit of perfection, we are often disappointed. Trying to assess every fact, factoid, opinion and rationalization makes for ultimate confusion and, hopefully, some decision that is fairly rational when we go out to buy a tow vehicle or RV.

Some of the arguments for and against illuminate and some don't. I hope to choose correctly and sometimes I do. Acceptance of the decision can be difficult when things go wrong. Rationalizations ensue when we can't accept we made a decision as best as we could. Sometimes we are wrong regardless of how careful and thoughtful we were.

Even through the most frustrating of threads, there is some light as well as heat. Take them for what they are, no more and no less.

Time for breakfast….

Gene
Old 04-18-2012, 09:31 AM   #252
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
A thread like this proves anyone can rationalize in order to try and prove their point. I find it interesting that some are so defensive. Usually means that deep down they know their facts are iffy. jim

Come on Jim life is a serious business, don't take it so seriously.

Please point out the iffy fact's, and if it's a fact, how can it be iffy? Or maybe it's not iffy and just a fact we choose to ignore. And if ignored then it's a fact in your own mind and as such can not argued with.

Sweet Streams
Bob

RLC

RLC
Closed Thread