Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 08:19 AM   #261
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Opinions on TVs are all over the map. I enjoy reading other people's opinions on them because this is how I learn.

Selection of a TV is as broad as the selection of the cars (or trucks) that we drive when not towing. I think it says something about our personality and our values.

There are some great TVs out there. I think it is important to learn all you can about them, and then make the selection of the one that works the best for you. You and I probably will not pick the same TV, but that is ok. Just be happy with your selection.

Time to hook up the Airstream and go camping.

Dan
Old 04-20-2012, 10:41 AM   #262
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
[QUOTE=REDNAX;1134552]Sarge, you have an opinion, but can't define the words used to express it. Based on ignorance (the kinder choice in interpretation), and from which you might well choose to educate yourself from any of a variety of angles.

A) before you call someone ignorant you should know more about them, and the fact that you know little of me tells everyone on here who the real ingorant person is!!!!! and yes I have my opinions and they are formed from experience.

I've spent I don't know how many thousands of miles driving a one-ton pickup with a trailer behind that, combined, was at least 10,000-lbs past "rated GCWR". From truck weigh stations to LEO's doing Level 1, 2 or 3 roadside inspections there isn't a problem. If the tires are up to the load and if the axle rating has been respected the law doesn't address it.

A) You spent thousands of miles with a less than 10,000 lb vehicle for 5 years and you know more than my 22 years 2 million miles of safe driving record as well as having driven everything from 1 ton trucks to over size loads. Now who is making false statements!!!

In this statement that DOT let you leave a weigh station overloaded by 10,000 lbs with no citation, I doubt it very seriously. In fact come to East Tennessee, SE Kentucky, and overload your vehicle by that much, pm me and I will give you my phone number and meet you at the TN scales I-81 MM21, Knoxville I-40 faragut, Kentucky I-75 Corbin, and I will meet you there to see for myself and if it does I will not only print retraction but pay for your breakfast or lunch or supper which ever applies for the time period.

The insurance companies are happy to write $1-million dollar liability policies against it,

A) I would like one person on here to give me the name of 2 insurance companies who will write a policy on something that the insurance company knows is going to cost them money.
They cant because insurance companies are not going to write a policy on something that is going to cost them money. In fact you know so much go ask no better yet pm me with the name and number of your company and let me ask them directly if they would overload a truck beyond its ratings and legal peramiters. I can just about bet the answer, and I wonder what your company would say to you putting on the internet that they do so?

You flat don't know what you're talking about.

A) again another statement showing who is the real ignorant personis here!

Do you honestly think GM or Dodge denies warranty work on those same pickups used in the same manner to every farmer, rancher, trucker, contractor and small businessman in the country? They do not. They actively seek these users of light duty pickups as they are the largest group of buyers of the heavier light-duty trucks.

A) Again your limited knowledge baised on your own thoughts and wondering daydreams is -- Well-- if you read your warning in the truck it says that if you use the vehicle for other purposes than intend warrenties will be voided such as for ambulance, towtruck, utility, etc. As far as farmers and ranchers you can not include them in this because they are allowed a certain amount of give because of farming.
BUT wait you drive a company truck and not your own so you have no idea what or how the truck was ordered!!! And yes I do know someone who had their warrenty voided and it cost him dearly.

Question or Request? Rednax go to any dealer or call any (dodge, GM, Ford) and tell them that you are going to buy a 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, and you are going to use them to tow/pull/load them with and use them in a manner beyond the warranty and would those vehicles be covered under warranty and could you get in writting? lets see what kind of answer you get.
And since you aren't old enough to remember what was done in the 1960s and 1970's to properly set up and tow a travel trailer with family cars -- with less power, worse brakes, etc -- you might sit up and pay attention to the details of how it is done. The information is out there, learn to use it. You might could wind up with a decent rig.

A) How old do you think I am? again here is where your ignorance shows through, I happen to be 55 years old and started camping when I was 7 which if you ask someone to do the math for you because you do not have the knowledge I started camping in the 60's and remember everything about it from the first trailer we had (a sierro scotty 16 foot) to the 2 fifth wheels purchased after 1st one being a 40 footer and the second was a 35 as most of us kids had grown and my mother and father traveled back and forth from Michigan to Texas every year until my mothers death. I was driving one of those when I was 15 so I have had plenty of experience.

How about you youngin? you got 5 years and know so much?
NRA, DAV, PGR, DRA
Old 04-20-2012, 10:54 AM   #263
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I suggest both of you take a deep, deep breath and not answer each other until you both calm down (advice I sometimes forget too). You are both smart guys with lots of experience to share and you disagree. I am sure I am not saying anything you both don't know.

You both are younger than me so I am asserting my old guy rights to give unsolicited advice even though I know it is dangerous to get between the Hatfields and the McCoys.

I now understand the American national religion is the Church of Trucks. Doctrinal disputes are tough.

Gene
Old 04-20-2012, 11:01 AM   #264
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
I now understand the American national religion is the Church of Trucks. Doctrinal disputes are tough.

Gene
Right on.

Andy
Old 04-20-2012, 11:09 AM   #265
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Wink

......or just blow harder there's still some candles burning.

Bob
Old 04-20-2012, 11:39 AM   #266

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
The suggestion to take some deep deep breaths seems appropriate. We're closing this thread until further notice.

On behalf of the site team.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Closed Thread