Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 12:58 PM   #141
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The proof is in the pudding.

If it's good, it's good. If it works, it works.

Put your pencils away.

doug k

Old 02-23-2012, 01:39 PM   #142
2 Rivet Member

Sonoma/Napa Wine Country , Northern California
I'd like to see those EU vs. US RV stats. Not just per capita, but reflective of comparable masses, speeds, distance traveled, etc. That sounds like a pretty obtuse factoid tossed out to pacify US consumers. Mind you I'm a Europhile if ever there was one, down to my TV & even begging AS Corporate to buy a Germanybound AS (no luck, unless one had $$$ out wazoo to re-import & fight DOT/CHP for clearance.) I've also traveled in European RV's in Europe & with European RV'ers here in those Cruise America beasts. I find the notion of comparing the too silly as they are categorically different machines, roads, speeds, driving laws, not to mention graduated licenses, cultural mentalities, etc.

At some point we have to accept that we are in the US & have a certain pool of equipment to pick from & regulations to comply with. I think Can-Am is capable of doing their custom set-ups with their own calculations (& some iota of deniability based on informed consumer decisions if there is a crash or major mechanical wear on that VW bug towing an AS). But few consumers know of Can-Am (or Canada-haha!) or see those cute atypical rigs & think I should consult an expert & make certain major adjustments. No they'll just buy-hitch&go using that very cursory "experimental proof" of well I saw someone else do it-or a picture on the Internet. Most dealers & private parties will sell whatever to whomever and that's SCARY!

Old 02-23-2012, 02:14 PM   #143
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Zephyrhills , Florida
We are in the position of looking for a TV and an AS. We will be buying new and read these posts with great interest. We have settled on the 23' FC w/forward sofa as our AS pick. Purchase to be made in a couple of years as we are nearing retirement but not there yet.

We have debated TV's from 4Runner,ML305BT,Jeep GC but have pretty much settled on a new Chevy Avalanche LTZ ordered specifically for towing but with all the goodies.

I take interest in the fact that, according to some, any of the above could be set up to handle our AS pick. But, with that said, which would be the safest? We do not want a straight P/U (better halfs and my decision) but the Avalanche seems to be the best of both worlds.
Comments PLEASE!
Old 02-23-2012, 03:01 PM   #144
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Smartrsounds, only the MB350BT has a modern independent suspension and diesel engine, and a relatively low center of gravity, of your group. These are important and overlooked points in this thread when considering safe handling and economy.

BTW take a look at 25' Airstreams. We moved up to one, its a world of difference inside but you won't notice the difference towing.

doug k
Old 02-23-2012, 03:11 PM   #145
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smatrsounds View Post
We have debated TV's from 4Runner,ML305BT,Jeep GC but have pretty much settled on a new Chevy Avalanche LTZ ordered specifically for towing but with all the goodies.

Comments PLEASE!
Agree with Doug. From what we have read and understand about towing the ML350BT is Creme de Creme. If money was no object it would be on my top 3 short list. For stability, also take note of the desireable, very short rear overhang compared with something like the Avalanche. Also the Mercedes high performance braking system and sticky performance tires. It all adds up to icing.

Old 02-23-2012, 03:25 PM   #146
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Zephyrhills , Florida
I agree about the ML350BT and it was our 1st choice but I am a little worried about their transmision cold shifting problem that MB has yet to find a fix for.....I really don't want to shell out that kind of money for a vehicle with a known problem and so many complaints which are yet to be resolved. The MB dealership in Tampa had a strange "No Comment" about the issue.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:29 PM   #147
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Zephyrhills , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smatrsounds View Post
I agree about the ML350BT and it was our 1st choice but I am a little worried about their transmision cold shifting problem that MB has yet to find a fix for.....I really don't want to shell out that kind of money for a vehicle with a known problem and so many complaints which are yet to be resolved. The MB dealership in Tampa had a strange "No Comment" about the issue.
Also the hitch weight exceeds the specs.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:30 PM   #148
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
I hear you Smartsound. I too would not buy a vehicle with a serious known problem. Anything I have been buying for the last 30 years has gotten the thumbs up from Consumers Reports and it has worked for me. No lemons and no high problem vehicles even considering the weight we are towing with 6cyl vehicles.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:32 PM   #149
2 Rivet Member

Sonoma/Napa Wine Country , Northern California
I agree with the above votes for the Benz, can't speak for the possible shifting problems... But if that's in your price range you may want to consider the other Euro SUV/UHV dopplegangers & frequent best towing winners of the Audi Q7 or VW Touareg Tdi. The stance, feeling & safety of towing with this class of auto is leagues different from that Avalanche or others on your list!
Old 02-23-2012, 03:55 PM   #150
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Zephyrhills , Florida
Thanks for the replies. We really want the MB so we are in a holding pattern for a few months until they get things sorted out. What about the hitch weight? The Avalanche lists 600 lbs but 1100 lbs with a WD hitch which we will definatly be getting when we but the TT. Any WD numbers for the MB. I haven't been able to find any. Call me stupid but I will not knowingly exceed Mfg spec's. My towing experience is a little but not a lot.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:40 PM   #151
1 Rivet Member

2012 23' International
Meridian , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smatrsounds
Thanks for the replies. We really want the MB so we are in a holding pattern for a few months until they get things sorted out. What about the hitch weight? The Avalanche lists 600 lbs but 1100 lbs with a WD hitch which we will definatly be getting when we but the TT. Any WD numbers for the MB. I haven't been able to find any. Call me stupid but I will not knowingly exceed Mfg spec's. My towing experience is a little but not a lot.
Unfortunately, Mercedes does not publish WD numbers for the ML350, or any of their vehicles, as far as I know. When we bought ours, we escalated all the way to an engineer in Germany, and they just do not have any understanding of a WD hitch.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:48 PM   #152
3 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Tyler , Texas
3/4 ton 4wD V10 will handle most needs pretty well, even a slippery when wet campsite. I tow a 34' w/o any issue and average 10-12 mpg at highway speeds
Old 02-23-2012, 04:53 PM   #153
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Thousand Oaks , California
The 2011-2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee is a Mercedes ML under the skin as they were designed alongside each other as the last bastard child of the MB/Chrysler marriage.

As we search for the "right" trailer, we have towed a 16 DWR through Big Sur with our 2011 GC Overland 4x4 with the Hemi V8, didn't know it was there. We have also towed a 19 Bambi over 600 miles in the Sierras, didn't know it was there. Pulling the 19 we drove 65mph at 1800 RPM and were getting 15.3 MPG. BTW, the tow/haul mode, air suspension and the active cruise control were dynamite on hills both up and down. I tried a 25 from a dealer, only pulled it about 30 miles in town and on the freeway without a WD hitch and it felt great and stopped great. The GC is rated at just over 7000lb with 4x4. The unloaded 25 is about 5200. We don't want a big trailer, but we do want a big bed!
Old 02-23-2012, 05:37 PM   #154
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
And I have recently read this Grand Cherokee will soon be offered with a small diesel engine.

doug k