Quote:
Originally Posted by keithgrowe View Post
Wow! Hot thread today!!
Click image for larger version

Name:	cartoon99.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	644.8 KB
ID:	151758

Yup, everyone should keep in mind we are all on the same team. We just have different views on how to get the touchdown.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:37 PM   #128
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
dznf0g

I agree that towing an Airstream with a car will accelerate the wear on some of the components. However the only way to find out how much is to "just do it" and find out.

Aspirations

Very well put. I completely agree. BTW, I carry my Ducati in my truck bed.

Dan

Old 02-22-2012, 09:45 PM   #129
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Oak Creek , Arizona
"Walk a mile in my shoes"...

At least before you criticize about how small they are.

The Nest Egg - 2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Silverado 2500HD Chevy Duramax Diesel

Old 02-22-2012, 09:52 PM   #130
2 Rivet Member

Sonoma/Napa Wine Country , Northern California
Mojo-
If by small shoes you mean your V10 TDI *swoon*, then I'll be over next weekend to put a mile+ in on it. Does a mile up Pikes Peak count
Old 02-22-2012, 09:52 PM   #131
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDan View Post
dznf0g

I agree that towing an Airstream with a car will accelerate the wear on some of the components. However the only way to find out how much is to "just do it" and find out.

Aspirations

Very well put. I completely agree. BTW, I carry my Ducati in my truck bed.

Dan
I'm not making a car vs. truck debate. There are cars (mostly crossovers, but they are car chassis' more than truck chassis') which are fully capable of pulling several AS models BY THE NUMBERS. My argument is not pointed at Zlee, though she thought so, I think. My argument is not against CanAm per se, although I do think they make a practice of spec'ing tow rig outside the "numbers".

My argument is against not properly spec'ing a TV to it's load. That could be a 1 ton dually hooked to a tri-axle, 4 slide fifth wheel.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 02-22-2012, 11:02 PM   #132
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ruler View Post
So much truth here. Generally speaking the pickup/large SUV's work but have many short comings. Not so good aerodynamics that interact negatively with the bullet shape of the Airstream. High centre of gravity. Low tech suspension. It seems folks take the heavy weight of the pickups as the saving grace but many will debate whether heavy vehicles towing an Airstream is a blessing or a handicap. Varied opinions for sure on this subject.
Depends on what vintage of SUV you are looking at... the Tundra/Sequioa have very low CoG and are slippery. The Sequoia has independent suspension all the way around. Stability control, traction control... Mine tows my 22 foot like it isn't there... very stable and my wife handles it with confidence.

New stuff built on the 30 year old Suburban or Expedition frames? Yeah, they are going to be rough.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:55 AM   #133
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Erie , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDan
I would not be surprised if the axle rating is not being exceeded by at least 50%-100%.
They're Canadian, so all their trailers have 5000 lb axles.

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
Old 02-23-2012, 07:17 AM   #134
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
I am talking about the axle rating of the car (TV).
Old 02-23-2012, 07:32 AM   #135
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post
Depends on what vintage of SUV you are looking at... the Tundra/Sequioa have very low CoG and are slippery. The Sequoia has independent suspension all the way around. Stability control, traction control... Mine tows my 22 foot like it isn't there... very stable and my wife handles it with confidence.

New stuff built on the 30 year old Suburban or Expedition frames? Yeah, they are going to be rough.

Really? the Suburban has had 2 all new chassis since 2000, and will have another somewhere around 2015. Don't know about Expy, but I'm sure 30 years is WAY off.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 02-23-2012, 09:23 AM   #136
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
Just as I was about to float Andy Thompson's name for a possible third party run, I stumbled upon DMT's sobering post (#117). Oh well, there'd probably be a birth certificate issue, too......so, never mind.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:12 AM   #137
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Erie , Colorado
Well, first off, the 2008 Jetta TDI in Europe has a rating of 3000 lbs (apparently more with the frame hitch, essentially what CanAm is doing custom, which is good, because with that I'm under-weight by about 400 lbs). With very little change in the car that I know of, it somehow drops to 1000 lbs in the US. Why is that?

Statistically speaking, on worse roads, there are fewer accidents per capita with more RVs on the roads in Europe, where they tour with four cylinder cars regularly, than in the US. Allowing for lighter RVs with better suspensions than ours, but also allowing for mechanical brakes and no weight distribution hitches, why is that?

It's not like safety issues aren't thought of in Europe, people. Get out of your headspace. It's a bit like my fellow Americans I've met who seem to be surprised that people elsewhere in the world know how to use antibiotics, which they also seem to think we "invented."

I can't speak to the axle issue directly, but I do know it's something that CanAm considers carefully, thus this:

BTW, There wouldn't probably be a birth certificate issue; Andy is Canadian and, insofar as I know, has no wish to be a US citizen--most people don't, you know.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:42 AM   #138
DMT
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
East Coast , Newfoundland
FYI, the sticker on my F150 - maximum payload = 878 pounds

Sticker on my friends F159 - maximum payload = 1240 pounds

The difference? OEM Tires. Both trucks are the same year - his a King Ranch, mine a Platinum, both with the same engine, drivetrain and max trailer towing packages.

My truck came with P275/55 R20 tires, his with P275/65 R18.

I have since upgraded to 20" Michelin 10 ply ATX2's, but that doesn't change the sticker on the door or the data in the governments motor registration database.

Ford's numbers on the door for payload exclude operating fluids (ie gas). Just occupants and cargo.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3975566621.png
Views:	62
Size:	847.7 KB
ID:	151781   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1402170296.png
Views:	54
Size:	907.1 KB
ID:	151782  

Old 02-23-2012, 10:59 AM   #139
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Erie , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
I'm not making a car vs. truck debate. There are cars (mostly crossovers, but they are car chassis' more than truck chassis') which are fully capable of pulling several AS models BY THE NUMBERS.
But then why in Europe (BY THE NUMBERS) is a 2006 Jetta TDI rated at towing 3000 lbs, but in the US at 1000, with, insofar as I know, no real difference in the car? (With the frame hitch, apparently it's 3,600, which is good, because that's what CanAm is more or less doing custom, which makes me about 400 pounds underweight. Would that I could do something similar with my own weight.)

Europe probably has more RV/caravans on the road than we do, the vast majority of which is being towed by cars. Their road fatality and accident numbers seem to be way lower than ours, even with their road conditions. Even given lighter trailers, but remembering that they don't really use weight distribution hitches and use mechanical brakes, what does all that mean?

I can't speak to the axle thing directly, but I know it's something CanAm considers carefully, thus this:

And, um, there wouldn't probably be a birth certificate issue, but you'd have a much bigger problem with your nomination, Mr. Evil. Andy is Canadian. Insofar as I know, he has no wish to be a US president; he's no fool!

Old 02-23-2012, 11:09 AM   #140
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Erie , Colorado
BTW, I don't take any of this stuff personally. I am not my car or even my AS. I'm probably not who other people may think I am, either -- so I don't worry about "personally"! I just think it's silly to dismiss experiential evidence and believe a law (and there's no law that the law is "correct" law) over reality; and certainly I wouldn't be dissing CanAm for not following the numbers, it doesn't take long talking with Andy Thomson to figure out he's very concerned with the numbers and reality.

Closed Thread