Old 09-13-2013, 11:16 PM   #1

1960 17' Pacer
Greenlawn , New York
Smile what should I tow my new baby with?

I need some help!!! I just purchased a 1960 16ft. pacer/airstream ( 1800lbs.) What I really want is to find something funky to pull it with maybe an old chevy pick-up truck? BUT I know nothing about cars (or trucks) & I need some advice before I make any impulsive buys on ebay! Any suggestions would be very much appreciated...Thanks ~Lea

Old 09-14-2013, 06:00 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Almost anything will pull that little trailer.

What kind of car do you own?

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 06:24 AM   #3
LFC
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Safari
Memphis , Tennessee
I think he's thinking vintage.
Old 09-14-2013, 06:46 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
Syracuse , New York
Lea,

hmmm... that's a pretty open ended question. We have towed our '63 Globetrotter (19' ~3500 lbs loaded) with an '06 Ford Explorer and now have a '13 Touareg TDI. Neither is what I would call "funky" but they both have tow packages (better axle ratio, transmission cooler, class III hitch...) and tow very well at highway speeds up to 75mph or so. I have always mused about towing it with an early 60's Thunderbird as the ultimate "funky" TV but my rational side has kept that from happening. We really don't want to give up the safety & comfort of a modern TV.

I think the best way to answer your question is with a series of questions/comments:

1) As you "don't know anything about cars" i would rule out anything pre-2000 unless you know a good mechanic who can keep it in good working order. TV's need to be in top shape to be dependable on the road under the added strain of towing a trailer. Classic cars/trucks are cool but they don't drive anything like a late-model vehicle. I used to drive a '66 mustang in the late '80's and it never was as comfortable, safe or good handling as the cheapest of new cars available at the time.

2) What's your budget? Whatever you spend on eBay, keep some $$ in reserve for the inevitable repairs that will come with a car from an "impulse buy". If you're like Jay Leno with $$ and a staff mechanic, then by all means go for the classic but if not you might want to trade funky for practical for your primary TV and then add a classic later. Also keep some $$ stashed away for refurb and repairs of you Airstream. Camping with a classic is great - we love it - but things will need repair/replacement. First thing to do is to have the axle, brakes, tires and hitch equipment checked over by a knowledgeable person.

3) What's your definition of "funky"? '65 Chevy 1/2 ton short box in bright orange or other cool classic car/truck, FJ cruiser, PT Cruiser, Kia Soul, Nissan Cube... Any car that comes from the factory with a class II hitch or better will likely do a good job towing your trailer but some will tow better than others. Funky is such a subjective description - maybe throw out some options you're considering and let us comment on them.

4) How far do you intend to tow? If it's to the local car show and state park a few times a year, you could use almost any decent sized vehicle. Take a look at this website for the non-conventional view of towing capability (Can-Am RV Centre | Your Towing Experts). If you plan to see the continent for months on end every year, then I would suggest sticking to late-model minivan, SUV or pickup.

5) Will the TV be your daily driver? Many of us use our TV every day to get around and that can significantly change you view of an ideal TV. We chose a Touareg TDI as we have 2 teen daughters and a small dog. It provides a mid-size vehicle with plenty of tow capability along with excellent mpg (for an SUV), comfort for long trips and ride quality even my wife approves of.

6) If you don't have experience towing already, read up on the subject. There's a lot of good information on this site and others. If your trailer is hitched and loaded properly it will be an easy tow but many a newbie has gotten into bad situations by not understanding the difference between driving a car and towing a trailer.

7) Look at the tow ratings of the TV's you're looking at - tow guides for late-model vehicles can be found here (Tow Ratings Database - Tow Vehicle Ratings | Camping Life Magazine) and here (Choosing the Right Tow Vehicle). Remember to reduce the tow rating by the weight of what you carry in the TV (passengers, pets, gear...) as most vehicles are rated assuming just a driver. Many will argue that the tow ratings are mostly driven by marketing rather than vehicle capability and I tend to agree (sometimes) but if you plan to tow a lot of miles, have margin to your tow rating will add piece of mind.

Most of all enjoy your Aistream and don't be surprised when strangers walk up to you almost everywhere to ask about your trailer - they do with us...

PM me through this site if you want to start an off-line discussion.

Matt
Old 09-14-2013, 06:53 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
My vintage vote would be a '57 Chevy Nomad Station wagon - get one with a V8 and a disk brake conversion.

For a modern vehicle a Ford Flex or Chevy SSR would look cool pulling that trailer.
AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 06:59 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
I second the Flex. Great tow vehicle and spacious too.

I used to drive vintage cars all through my twenties and while they can be fun they really aren't nearly as reliable or safe as anything new. Having said that, I looked at a 70’s Ford pickup recently and loved it.

Then my wife reminded me that we now have three kids and where I was planning to stow them.

"A good traveller has no fixed plans, and is not intent upon arriving"
-- Lao Tzu
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:49 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
somewhere , Tennessee
Any of the 50s or 60s trucks or wagons will be heavy duty enough to tow that camper. Look for one that has been street rodded: what I mean is someone has spent the time to upgrade everything with late model running gears (engine, transmission, axles, etc.). If you find one get it checked out by a good mechanic before you buy. Something like this will be just as dependable to drive as a new vehicle will be. It will be easier to find someone to work on it if something does happen on the road because most garages can handle that where most of your brand new vehicles have to go to the dealer for repair. My personal choice would be an early 60s ford ( 61 ,2, or 3 probably aren't the best they were known as unibody trucks and had some issues) or chevy truck, a mid 60 chevy suburban, 57 chevy wagon (Any chevy wagon would be cool, Nomads are extra cool but you will pay dearly for one of those). If you have any questions feel free to PM me. I am an old hotrodder that just happen to find an airstream one day. I have been looking for a 1964 ford truck or 64 chevy suburban to pull my 1964 overlander with so I think your idea is great.Vintage is much cooler than new!
Old 09-14-2013, 07:58 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Windsor , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by AldeanFan View Post
My vintage vote would be a '57 Chevy Nomad Station wagon - get one with a V8 and a disk brake conversion.

For a modern vehicle a Ford Flex or Chevy SSR would look cool pulling that trailer.
You beat me to it! That Nomad station wagon is gorgeous, funky and I'm guessing with minimal mods can safely do the job!

I've forgotten the guy's name here in the forums who did up his Chevy SSR truck in silver and blue (including awesome matching hubcaps for his trailer) but that SSR is a good blend of modern technology and retro funk-factor.

To that point, I wonder what the towing capacity of a New Beetle TDI is. It'd be kinda fun to see a trailer being towed by a bug!

Once you figure out the math, you probably have lots of cool options. Did anything resonate with you so far?
Old 09-14-2013, 07:58 AM   #9

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Please be aware that the average liability insurance does not cover towing with a vintage vehicle. Tow with a modern vehicle, no problem.
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:59 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Windsor , Connecticut
Here's a 57 Nomad Wagon, FYI:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2556600606.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	195631
Old 09-14-2013, 08:08 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
somewhere , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by reinergirl View Post
Please be aware that the average liability insurance does not cover towing with a vintage vehicle. Tow with a modern vehicle, no problem.
Is this direct knowledge or just an assumption? Please expand on this subject because my agent has never told me anything like this.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:15 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
somewhere , Tennessee
Your average insurance policy will not cover the cost of repair of replace if it exceeds the retail cost of the vintage vehicle. They will total it and give you pennies on the dollar for what it is really worth. You have to do your vintage vehicle insurance just like your vintage camper and get an agreed value policy so you don't end up getting paid 2,000.00 for a 20,000.00 classic vehicle.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:22 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
somewhere , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Here's a 57 Nomad Wagon, FYI:

Attachment 195631
WOW one beautiful car. The biggest difference is standard 57 wagon has no side windows it is metal where the nomad has the glass. That and probably 75,000.00 dollars
Old 09-14-2013, 01:29 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Beautiful vehicle.

When we moved to Canada 10 years ago I sold my 1964 Series IIa SWB ragtop Land Rover. While completely impractical for Canada (you'll fry in summer, freeze in winter) I still miss that truck every day.

One day, when the kids are older and financial gods are generous I'd like to pick up a pick up truck of similar age.

"A good traveller has no fixed plans, and is not intent upon arriving"
-- Lao Tzu
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote