Old 06-06-2013, 07:53 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
easley , South Carolina
What kind of hitch is this

I wrote Anderson hitches because I think I want one but I think I might have the kind of hitch that's incompatible? Please look and tell me

Also please note the tear in the metal back from the coupler... I am unsure what caused it but was going to find a welder to fix it if I need to... Any thoughts appreciated

Here is my letter to Anderson

Hello, I just purchased my first trailer, a 1972 31 foot airstream sovereign and I am going to be using an excursion to tow it.

I've decided I want an Anderson hitch but read about compatibility issues and so since I don't know what I have I uploaded a short video.... Tell me what to do/ get
http://youtu.be/zaOub3nuG1w

Old 06-06-2013, 08:53 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Not sure what you have there. My question is if that Set Screw just behind the latch in any way is an adjustment for the pawl I would be very concerned that it will hold against the pressure the Andersen puts on the pawl.

That and any cracks in the coupler would cause me to replace it with a Quickbit and leave all concerns behind.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:02 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
easley , South Carolina
Thanks Howie... I'll have to look at that screw .. Not sure of its purpose, as far as the metal being torn, yeah that bothers me... Just on s tight budget and it seems like we are at least talking a couple hundred to replace the coupler...or more.... Brand new at this
Old 06-06-2013, 09:20 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
easley , South Carolina
I went back out and looked and can not see a purpose for that screw.... The coupler it self rotates as one piece on a metal horizontal shank that can only be pushed back if its in it open position.

Inspected to torn metal again... Appears to be just the lip however I would at Least have that welded so the cost difference might say to just replace the whole thing
Old 06-06-2013, 09:30 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
That is actually the same type of hitch as is on my Casita, and it seems to work fine with the Andersen at the load that is on it.

Yours however, seems to be corroded quite a bit, and that and if the Andersen will transfer enough weight for you, would be my concerns.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:43 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
That coupler is the same as the one on a utility trailer that I own. The trailer was built by a gent that builds horse trailers and he told me that this coupler is what he trusts. I do not haul the weight in my trailer that equal my Airstream. I do have to lube the latch frequently as it will become difficult to unlatch at times. Mine does not have that screw.
Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:01 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
easley , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
That is actually the same type of hitch as is on my Casita, and it seems to work fine with the Andersen at the load that is on it.

Yours however, seems to be corroded quite a bit, and that and if the Andersen will transfer enough weight for you, would be my concerns.
I was following a thread on another forum reporting good luck using the Anderson with the excursion, I guess because the rear suspension is pretty beefy anyway.... Anderson is saying this only effects 88000 series hitches... So as long as I do not have that one. I think I am anticipating only 600lb tongue weight... 6000lb trailer weight give or take

If you could elaborate though that would be helpful... I have read old school hitches are more efficient transferring weight... But at what point is the Anderson equal ?
Old 06-06-2013, 10:04 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
The concern with any coupler used with an Andersen is can the coupler fail in such a way as to allow the trailer to jump up off the ball.

One member solved that question with his trailer by installing chains that drape over the coupler tight enough that even in failure the hitch could not lift high enouh to clear the ball.

You might consider this as a safety measure until you either prove the current coupler or decide to change it.

Attach a chain with a chain hook long enough to drape over the coupler to one side of the bottom of the hitch head. Attach another shorter chain to the other side. Once hitched drape the longer chain over the coupler behind the latch and slip the shorter chain into the chain hook. Leave enough slop to allow the trailer to rotate against the ball but not enough that you could jack the trailer off the ball while the chains are connected. Now if the latch did fail to hold the pawl in place the coupler could not rise enough to come off the ball.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:06 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury7 View Post
I was following a thread on another forum reporting good luck using the Anderson with the excursion, I guess because the rear suspension is pretty beefy anyway.... Anderson is saying this only effects 88000 series hitches... So as long as I do not have that one. I think I am anticipating only 600lb tongue weight... 6000lb trailer weight give or take

If you could elaborate though that would be helpful... I have read old school hitches are more efficient transferring weight... But at what point is the Anderson equal ?
I don't think there is enough experience base to answer that question at this time. I do know, however, people who have tried the Andersen on late model 25' Airstreams with unsatisfactory results.

But then, there are those who stand by the hitch as if they had stock in the company. I think most people are intuitive enough to figure out who is who.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:20 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
easley , South Carolina
Howie, your chain advice gave me the confidence to go with Anderson... And thinking on it, it is probably good advice no matter what kind of set up you have
Old 06-06-2013, 02:24 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
easley , South Carolina
Btw.... As a complete novice.... It is the simplicity that really attracts me to the Anderson hitch, it does seem like even if it were a compromise, perhaps a worthy one
Old 06-06-2013, 04:45 PM   #12
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Everyone likes the "simplicity". But the claims made for the Andersen don't match up in the real world unless the trailer tongue weight is so low that the requirement for WD makes almost any WDH unnecessary. It teeters on the edge. IF proper weight distribution is a requirement for your tow vehicle (see owners manual) -- and the trailer tongue weight is heavy enough -- then get a proper hitch.

Anti-sway, whether integrated or add-on, is not the test of a WD hitch. An optional item or system altogether.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:25 PM   #13
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Everyone likes the "simplicity". But the claims made for the Andersen don't match up in the real world unless the trailer tongue weight is so low that the requirement for WD makes almost any WDH unnecessary. It teeters on the edge. IF proper weight distribution is a requirement for your tow vehicle (see owners manual) -- and the trailer tongue weight is heavy enough -- then get a proper hitch.

Anti-sway, whether integrated or add-on, is not the test of a WD hitch. An optional item or system altogether.

What do you think the cut off for the low tongue weight would be?
Old 06-06-2013, 07:38 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
easley , South Carolina
I think there are probably two types of people, those that are going to weigh,measure and obsess and then those who are going to eyeball and guess
I think I am going to be somewhere in between but want to feel good being the latter.

So anyway having said that I think it would seem this kind of hitch does do sway and bounce excellent and from the reports I have seen does a fairly decent job of wd as long as you really torque it down and secure the mount brackets so you can do that.

If this was 250 instead of 450 it would be a no brainer to at least try... I do admit that the hand full of naysayers do give you pause