Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-19-2007, 07:04 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
What is the "legal way" to get a new to you trailer home?

Howdy All,

Was talking with my dad tonight on this topic, and I don't have a good answer.

Let's say you go buy a used trailer from a guy a couple states away. What is the legal way to get it home?

I'd dare say what many of us do is just take the plate off one of our current trailers, stick it on it, then haul it home. Go see the DMV the next day and get all the paperwork taken care of. But somehow I wonder if the gendarmes would appreciate this?

In WV, you can get a one way transport tag. But that's only good in state. What if you are crossing a few states to get your new Stream home? What is the legal way to do it, assuming you bought it from an individual and not a dealership that can do whatever paperwork they do and issue you a temporary tag? And say the PO lives nowhere near a DMV?

Is there an easy way?
Old 06-19-2007, 07:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
From what I understand, the bill of sale should be your "tag." The previous owner should retain the plates unless their state says otherwise.

If anyone knows any different, please chime in!

Susan

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 07:12 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
In Florida, it is a felony to switch license plates, so be aware if you do this here, and get caught, it could really ruin your vacation. Again, in Florida, the legal way is to go to the DMV (county tax collector), get the title transferred, with a 30 day temporary tag. You will pay the local sales tax, and if your state shares reciprocity with Florida, you will only pay the difference between Florida (6%) and your state.
I have learned, at least here, it is better to have no tag, than the wrong tag, so if the DMV is not open (weekends or holidays, or after hours), I just make sure the title is completely filled out and dated, and drag the thing home with no tag at all. I have only been stopped once, and the properly filled out paperwork saved me a ticket.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:19 PM   #4
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
In CA, there's a "one trip permit" for such instances.
I bought one from the DMV, it is good until you finish your trip. I pasted it in the rear window of the Overlander, and merrily towed it home from Seattle to LA.
This was exactly what the CA DMV recommended. I asked them about states such as WA and OR, which I had to travel in, and they said that if it's going to be a CA trailer, then it needs a CA trip permit. Worked fine, I kept a copy of it and could prove that the traielr was not moved illegally on public roads without registration etc. The trip permit covers all that.
But that's California, your state might have different laws.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:25 PM   #5
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I towed my 1964 boat back home in 1994 (325 miles) with the 1984 plate on it. Ran passed many John Q Laws...none gave me a wink, nod or was pulled over for it.

I did have a bill of sale stating it was just purchased, but never used it.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 07:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Jim, I have a friend that is a state trooper and he told me to never take a tag off of another vehicle to move it. When we picked up our Argosy in Virginia and brought it to Ontario I just towed it without a tag. We were passed by two state troopers in West Virginia (my home state) and one in PA. I don't think they pay as much attention to that as much as they use to. Customs didn't even say anything about it not having a tag.

Marvin
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 07:38 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
In NH you can get 15 day temp plates with a bill of sale and the vehicle ID number.
ticki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 07:46 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Keeping / returning the plates varies from state to state - Idaho the person retains the plates, Washington the vehicle retains the plates.

I would dare say that if you purchased a trip permit in the state you are picking it up in, that would be good enough for most officers that might stop you along the way.

Bad advice maybe, but I just hooked up and towed it from Oregon to Washington without a permit of any sort. I figured if I got stopped that the title + bill of sale would let me talk my way out of any trouble. I never got stopped to test that theory
2001 Honda XR650R
Currently Looking...for an Avion Truck Camper (or a Classic Argosy MoHo)

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
GreatPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 07:49 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Bertram , Texas
Texas sells a one trip ticket..but they want specific route. They also sell a thirty day tag with almost no paperwork at all which is good all over. I was stopped last week in Louisiana with a paper tag, but they were happy to see the TX paper work and said I was good to go. Meanwhile I am still working on the title for my old beast with a less than helpful PO. Should be ok soon.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:56 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
What is the "legal way" to get a new to you trailer home?

Greetings Jim!

Both of my trailers were purchased in another state as have several of my cars, and my first stop was my local DMV to determine what documentation they woulld require from that state to issue a title and license plate in my name. One clerk in my local DMV office suggested that I ask the owner to accompany me to their local DMV to obtain a temporary or transit permit -- this, so the theory goes, makes sure that you have the necessary documentation to change ownership in that state. Thus far, it has worked flawlessly each time -- and I know that when Murphy's Law calls, I will have the proper documents and permits to avoid a ticket.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 09:07 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGolden
... Is there an easy way?
Depends. If the Airstream is short enough, retrive it on a properly licensed flatbed trailer so the Airstream is cargo, not a towed trailer. Have a signed and dated certificate of title and a signed and dated bill of sale from the seller in your pocket. And you don't have to worry about tires, wheel bearings, lights, etc., etc. Now that's the easy way.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 09:52 PM   #12
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
In Georgia, all you need is the Bil Of Sale to tow it home. I would think that the laws of your home state, where you intend to title the vehicle, would matter most. Your state DMV can fill in the blanks.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 10:06 PM   #13

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I would try to get a temp (paper) tag from the state you are buying it in. If that was not practcal, I would just pull it hime without a tag. We took our first trip in Lucy with the tag from my car trailer. The dealer hadn't gotten me Lucy's tag in time.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 10:34 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Find out if the legal way is also not too cumbersome and hopefully your hometown DMV folks can assist you. If not, check out the DMV's website for the state you are acquiring the trailer in to see if it says there what is required. Stuff happens and as we saw recently someone towing a later 90's home without insurance totaled it and they were out the cash. If it looks like it is going to be a big issue then I would take the chance, but that's what I'd do, not what I recommend to others. I just spoke to a buddy today who's tags expired last November and he's been out and about quite a bit and no one, including he, noticed.

We picked a trailer up in WA state a few weeks back and brought it up to BC. The PO picked up a 3 day travel permit but put it in the name of the purchaser. That allowed us to get it to the border and from there the 15 minutes home although in BC we were required to go to the closest DMV to the border to get it registered and tagged.

Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 10:56 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Trip Permit

Hi, I bought my trailer new in Oregon and they issued me a ten day trip permit; Giving me ten days to get it home and off of the street until I could get to DMV in California. Other than that, I would just go with a good bill of sale, and never use a different plate from something else. Tickets or fines are very expensive in California.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 11:18 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Jim Golden,
Don't do this but..When I bought my Airstream from the PO, who lived in Tx, we had all the paper works made out with the paper temp plate. I had everything on me. The Bill of Sales, Temp Registration from TX, TX Plate and, proof of insurances coverage. I had decided to put the paper license plate inside taped to the rear window. It wasn't until I got to CT at a rest area that I NOTICE several State Police Officers from CT looking me over..
After they left..I got curious and walked around the unit to see what had attracted their attention..AHA...I notice that the temp plate wasn't in the window~! Open it up and, re-attached the temp plate back to the window with more tape`! Now, just how far back into the trip's start this fell down, I have no clue but..
I do remember thinking, "WHEW"...
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 04:35 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I used the PO's plate or when selling let them use mine, Then they just get mailed back to the right person after transport. If they aren't returned, just report them as stolen, although I haven't had to do that.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 04:59 AM   #18
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
The "Official" word is...

the laws of the state where the transaction takes place apply. In Iowa, the plates must be removed and the registration and plates returned to DOT for cancellation (and refund of registration fees if applicable). The new owner has 30 days to re-register the vehicle in whatever jurisdiction they live. The bill of sale and signed title serve as registration until then.

In California, the plates go with the vehicle, and the owner has a few days (the length of time has changed over the years, so I don't know what it is now) to change it over to their name.

Each state is a little different. My recommendation is that you carry a copy of the state registration law from the state in which you bought the trailer, and show it with the title and registration so you can show law enforcement in states along the way that you are in compliance with whatever it says.

I DID recently get stopped with our new moho on the way home from the dealer without plates by a DOT officer. Since I had the appropriate paperwork, I was on my way.

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 06:14 AM   #19
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Now that must have been a sight to see....Roger with the cherries kicked on on the side of the road....on the other end of those cherries!
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 06:56 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Cleveland , Georgia
Ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan
In Georgia, all you need is the Bil Of Sale to tow it home. I would think that the laws of your home state, where you intend to title the vehicle, would matter most. Your state DMV can fill in the blanks.

Jim
Exactly.....OR you could just OJ Simpson that baby home, cops in tow. And when they shoot out the tires and take you down on national tv hold up your airforums sticker. We'll be watching.

Bill of sale should be fine, just take off th PO's tag.

Some days you're the windshield,
Some days you're the bug!

"Life's a garden, dig it" Joe Dirt
bigeasy63 is offline   Reply With Quote