Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 06:21 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Mountain View , California
What Europeans are towing with?

I am aware of the difference between US and European trailers. Still funny to look at what is used in Europe for towing in the context of some comments on this forum.

https://youtu.be/GuuS3IHq4HI
Old 12-07-2018, 06:49 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
Consider also that they tow at much lower speeds than US Interstate speeds. Weight Distributing hitches are also not common in Europe.
Old 12-07-2018, 07:51 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Kansas City , Kansas
I'll add. It's still very popular to tow large campers with cars in Australia. It aways makes me chuckle when somebody is rambling on about needing a monster truck to safely tow an Airstream
Old 12-07-2018, 08:08 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
It is much easier and stress-free to tow with a 3/4 ton diesel. I previously towed my Airstream with an Expedition (hardly a small vehicle). The difference is night and day. I chuckle at those that think they can safely tow a large trailer with a Yugo.
Old 12-07-2018, 08:12 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
I think the European trailers are configured differently and the tongue weights are substantially different. That said, they also don't have the Monster Truck syndrome that many in North America have..... Remember it bigger so it must be better.....

The one exception is the setups Can-Am RV in Canada does. They have built their business around configuring cars and light trucks to tow Airstreams. They have a customer base from around North America who travel long distances to have hitch setup done properly. Even all the factory owned units have their hitch setup by Can-am.

In many cases, people think bigger is better because they (mask) a poorly setup hitch with more weight and power.
Old 12-07-2018, 08:40 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
The heaviest class in the test was 1950+ KG that is about a 19-20' Airstream.

Alan
Old 12-07-2018, 09:45 AM   #7
Rivet Master

... Towed with bmw 5 series... 99% in the US will say that BMW 5 series can't tow because BMW does not offer hitch option on this market... A lot of shocking info in this video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlinCal View Post
The heaviest class in the test was 1950+ KG that is about a 19-20' Airstream.
Old 12-07-2018, 09:52 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Ottawa , Ont
Can-AM RV Presentation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticfox View Post
I think the European trailers are configured differently and the tongue weights are substantially different. That said, they also don't have the Monster Truck syndrome that many in North America have..... Remember it bigger so it must be better.....

The one exception is the setups Can-Am RV in Canada does. They have built their business around configuring cars and light trucks to tow Airstreams. They have a customer base from around North America who travel long distances to have hitch setup done properly. Even all the factory owned units have their hitch setup by Can-am.

In many cases, people think bigger is better because they (mask) a poorly setup hitch with more weight and power.
I saw Andy do his presentation at the Ottawa RV show last year. I highly recommend it. It's a non-biased (it's not anti-truck at all) presentation on proper hitch setup and what parameters matter and why, when hitching up. It's a great learning eperience and it saved me a ton of $ in operating expense coming to the understanding that I won't need a heavy duty truck to tow an AS. I really like how the whole presentation is backed up with both science and experimentation. Now if I end up with a truck, it will be because I need the space. Currently leaning towards a van.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:09 AM   #9
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Many folks end up having to import a tow vehicle as well as a trailer if importing a US spec trailer.

There are many reasons for this ranging from the fact that we would have to change the hitch to metric (or import a US spec tow bar for a European car) - European tow bars have the 'ball' permanently attached to the tow bar not the hitch/receiver system used in US; to restrictions around weight/length (heavier trailers require the tow-vehicle itself to be over 3.5t; and even license issues (if you passed your test post 1996 (I think) we can't drive a tow vehicle over 3.5t with taking an additional test).

It is not uncommon for folks to innocently import trailers only to find they simply can't use them without an additional driving test, etc.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:11 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Excella 500
2017 30' Classic
Grapeview , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by brick1 View Post
It is much easier and stress-free to tow with a 3/4 ton diesel. I previously towed my Airstream with an Expedition (hardly a small vehicle). The difference is night and day. I chuckle at those that think they can safely tow a large trailer with a Yugo.

Bongo................
Old 12-07-2018, 10:25 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Excella 500
2017 30' Classic
Grapeview , Washington
Quote:

IMHO ones perception in and of their opinion in matters of discussion of something or other and experience is often limited to personal belief w/o consideration to all sides of experience..............

Best regards and safe travels
Old 12-07-2018, 05:51 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:

For the umpteenth time, yes you can tow an Airstream with a Yugo. Try towing a 30' Classic with a Yugo and load it up for a trip.
I have been asking Can-Am since 2012 how they account for the payload when towing a large Airstream with a Toureg or something similar.
Never got an answer. Since then I educated myself and the reason most of us towing 30' Airstreams migrate to a 3/4 ton is PAYLOAD, followed by overall safety when loaded to the max. With our 30' Classic trip ready we are over 1,900 lbs, our 1/2 ton simply wasn't up to the job .
Old 12-07-2018, 06:37 PM   #13
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
That’s fine. I have never seen a claim on here that one can tow a large trailer with a Yugo.

I chuckle at those who think that a heavier truck is a safer tow vehicle than a smaller, better handling one which is within axle and tire weight ratings. It is safer at carrying heavier cargo loads, but that is separate from towing. It is conflating those two issues that causes some to differ on best tow vehicle choice. If someone posted “My heavier truck isn’t as good in terms of handling or braking when towing, but I accept that trade off because I need the payload” nobody would disagree. It would be completely logical.

I also chuckle at those who use Yugo references to make their points. Reductio ad absurdum. Twice so far in this thread.
Old 12-07-2018, 07:31 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
The Yugo comparison was intended to be absurdum. But I would like to tow my 28 Serenity with my C6 corvette. Plenty of power, awesome brakes and super handling.
Old 12-07-2018, 07:47 PM   #15
Rivet Master

https://youtu.be/lAfZ1N56qjY
Old 12-07-2018, 07:50 PM   #16
Rivet Master

I'm sure it would tow much better than ANY truck on the market.

Quote:
(...) But I would like to tow my 28 Serenity with my C6 corvette. Plenty of power, awesome brakes and super handling.
Old 12-07-2018, 07:52 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
Talking

Lol!

Alan
Old 12-07-2018, 08:42 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shermy1987 View Post
I'll add. It's still very popular to tow large campers with cars in Australia. It aways makes me chuckle when somebody is rambling on about needing a monster truck to safely tow an Airstream
My 20013 31’ Classic...has 7900 lbs on the axles and 1050 on the tongue...my wife’s Toyota won’t cut the mustard...so I will keep towing it with our 2017 2500 ram with th 6.7 cumalong....it weighs 8900 lbs.....
Old 12-07-2018, 08:53 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
The Yugo comparison was intended to be absurdum. But I would like to tow my 28 Serenity with my C6 corvette. Plenty of power, awesome brakes and super handling.
Yep it might..there is quite a bit of difference between the wheel bearings in your car and a 3/4 pickup...
Old 12-07-2018, 11:13 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Dalton , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
Yep it might..there is quite a bit of difference between the wheel bearings in your car and a 3/4 pickup...

And many of you said we couldn’t tow our 7000 lb AS with 1000 lb tongue wt. with our MDX. “I should borrow my father’s F150.” Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0078.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	375.9 KB
ID:	329295Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0079.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	371.6 KB
ID:	329296Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6427.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	741.2 KB
ID:	329297Click image for larger version