Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-19-2019, 07:43 AM   #121
2 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fair Play , South Carolina
Just got back through the mountains of NC, GA, TN, and SC with a 5.7 Ram 1500 (2012). The engine had no problems with 90+ temps. The usual problems is trying to squeeze into gas stations in small mountain towns. Almost creased the rear AS corner with a 25' FC. DW (darling wife) watched the backing out.
Drewkonopka5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 09:06 AM   #122
2 Rivet Member

2018 28' Tommy Bahama
Silver City , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by stef0597 View Post
My husband is way too excited about getting a truck to tow our new Airstream. We are considering a 27fb Flying Cloud. He says we need more tow capacity than 8500. Is that true?

To paraphrase an interesting quote:

"My husband wants a new truck - I want to keep our old truck. Since he's the husband, we're keeping the old truck."

Whatever works for you. I would try your present TV and see if it will haul the "oats" for now...but, there are some great end-of-season deals out there right now.
ursuit - FS; $$$$ - GONE
If it ain't broke I can break it
A dime still makes a pretty good screwdriver
journeydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 04:37 PM   #123
2 Rivet Member

1996 30' Limited
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
santa rosa , California
A 3/4 ton is more than you need. It’s better to have more than less. Especially coming down a mountain
tojimmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 06:01 PM   #124
Smh
1 Rivet Member

2024 30' Classic
Truckee , California
I’d recommend a 3/4 or 1 ton. We towed our 27FB the first year with a F-150 3.5 Eco Boost. It had plenty of pulling power but we were near the payload limit, had noticeable hobby horsing on certain roads, with just two adults and moderately loaded.

We now have a F-350 and love it. Our friends who also have a 27FB upgraded their Silverado to a F-250 and love theirs too. We got the diesel with the upgraded payload option which gives us around 3400 lbs of payload which we’ll probably never use, but we no longer worry about payload, have experienced minimal hobby horsing, and carry BBQ, generator, heavy eBikes, and gear, and when our grandkids get a little older there’ll be more to add to the payload.

I should mention we use the F-350 primarily for towing, about 90%. It is bigger and more difficult to park than the F-150 was. Also, make sure it can fit in your garage if you want to garage it.
Smh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 08:54 PM   #125
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Jacksonville Beach , Florida
My husband and I bought a used 25' Safari and after reading/researching on here we went for a 2500 Allison Duramax. Checked out Fords but got a better price on the Chevy. So not saying one brand over another but it was worked out for us. We wanted the payload to be high enough for kayaks grills etc. and didn't want to have to upgrade in a year or so. Currently we work full time so most of our trips are weekend trips but wanted the wiggle room of the payload and strength of the diesel if we were going to go a for week long trip that included mountains. This is my daily driver as well. I love it! Took a little getting used to parking with the longer wheel base vs a Tahoe but now I find it difficult to back up in other vehicles without the nice tow mirrors with optical mirrors below. Lol. Some research I found afterwards was that the 3500 aren't that much more expensive and if you plan to keep your truck for a long time you might want to look into that as well. I'm sure other ones have this or something similiar but we love the Android play. It works great to connect your phone then Google Maps comes up on the screen which makes it so easy to see! Good luck on your search.
Grace-n-Pup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 01:45 PM   #126
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
West Harwich , MA
So he went from a Dodge Ram Big Horn 1500 and now thinks he needs a 2500. Help!
stef0597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 02:41 PM   #127

west harwich , Massachusetts
Hahahahaha Husband here. Searching and found this thread. Let's qualify this. We are purchasing a 27FB Flying Cloud and will be on the road for 6 months to a year, maybe longer. Traveling all over America, including mountains. Total payload for occupants will be 400 pounds plus: tools (heavy), generator, three-four seasons of clothes, dog's stuff, two go bags, 16 gallons of water (when needed) for emergencies (Boondocking), firewood, small grill, and everything that can't fit in the AS. Payload is a big concern as is tow capacity and safety. Would much rather sacrifice some gas mileage to be unconcerned about the ability to tow and BRAKE safely. This will be strictly for towing and scooting around when we disconnect.
TimeToRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 02:42 PM   #128
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
You asked what's needed to tow a 27FB. The answer to your question is a newer half ton truck (F150, Dodge Ram 1500, etc) with at least 1,500 lbs of payload per the yellow sticker drivers side door. All newer half ton trucks have towing trims that are more than powerful enough to pull that trailer anywhere safely and at the speed limit. And safely stop it.

You also need a good weight distribution hitch/sway resist such as Blue Ox, Equal-i-zer, etc. A Propride or Hensley hitch is even better.

That's what you need and there are plenty of folks happily travelling and towing their airstream all over with the above combinations.

However you may desire something bigger and more robust. Maybe you want to haul your Harley in the bed of the truck, in this case a 3/4 or one ton truck is needed.

Or maybe you just want the biggest there is because you can. A one ton diesel maybe? Capable of towing a huge fifth wheel, more than adequate for a little airstream. Just depends on your personal definition of need.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 04:02 PM   #129
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Western NC , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeToRoll View Post
Hahahahaha Husband here. Searching and found this thread. Let's qualify this. We are purchasing a 27FB Flying Cloud and will be on the road for 6 months to a year, maybe longer. Traveling all over America, including mountains. Total payload for occupants will be 400 pounds plus: tools (heavy), generator, three-four seasons of clothes, dog's stuff, two go bags, 16 gallons of water (when needed) for emergencies (Boondocking), firewood, small grill, and everything that can't fit in the AS. Payload is a big concern as is tow capacity and safety. Would much rather sacrifice some gas mileage to be unconcerned about the ability to tow and BRAKE safely. This will be strictly for towing and scooting around when we disconnect.

You can do all the math. Let’s just say we went F350 over F250 for value not need but decided we needed the F250 after 1 tow with a half ton and a load not much different than you describe but don’t forget weight of the cover for the bed etc. anything in/on the truck.
JonDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 04:22 PM   #130
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Been there, did that

Quote:
TimeToRoll, flip back to #41. We were in the same situation and solved it with a 2019 Ram 2500 gas. Has 2940 lbs. of payload, gets the same mileage as the 1500 it replaced and no more worries!
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 09:40 AM   #131
Rivet Master

South East , Michigan
Quote:
Would much rather sacrifice some gas mileage to be unconcerned about the ability to tow and BRAKE safely. This will be strictly for towing and scooting around when we disconnect.

If BRAKING is a major concern, upgrade your trailer to disc brakes. That will give you a significant braking improvement. If the trailer brakes completely fail, all trucks will strain to stop in an emergency. Under normal conditions, disc brakes stop faster and have a lot less fade.
Old 09-23-2019, 10:33 PM   #132
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' International
Hillsboro , Texas
Well said and all you need to know to be safe and have peace of mind. 3/4 ton diesel 6.7 cummins Ram 2500 Limited 4x4.
GypsyCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 05:43 AM   #133
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
What do I need to tow a 27FB?

We have towed our 27FB with our RAM 1500 5.7 with the max tow package since 2014. Our truck is rated to tow 9,200 pounds, which is far more than a 27FB will ever weigh. We also lived in Rocinante full time for 8 months, towed over the Rockies, Sierras, and other mountain ranges multiple times, up and down all kinds of grades, some at 9-11%. Saying one needs a bigger truck to descend safely is complete nonsense. Saying one needs a bigger truck to ascend at speed is nonsense, because ascending at speed is nonsense. Don’t descend faster than you ascended. Shift down early and manage your descent speed carefully. If you need giant brakes to safely descend a 9% grade, you’re not doing it right. Go back up to the top and try it again. [emoji57]
Now, if you aren’t going to travel light and you think you need more load capacity than you can get with a half ton truck, that’s a legit concern. All this other stuff is noise. Have fun!

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 11:37 PM   #134
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
palm beach gardens , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
We have towed our 27FB with our RAM 1500 5.7 with the max tow package since 2014. Our truck is rated to tow 9,200 pounds, which is far more than a 27FB will ever weigh. We also lived in Rocinante full time for 8 months, towed over the Rockies, Sierras, and other mountain ranges multiple times, up and down all kinds of grades, some at 9-11%. Saying one needs a bigger truck to descend safely is complete nonsense. Saying one needs a bigger truck to ascend at speed is nonsense, because ascending at speed is nonsense. Don’t descend faster than you ascended. Shift down early and manage your descent speed carefully. If you need giant brakes to safely descend a 9% grade, you’re not doing it right. Go back up to the top and try it again. [emoji57]
Now, if you aren’t going to travel light and you think you need more load capacity than you can get with a half ton truck, that’s a legit concern. All this other stuff is noise. Have fun!
Your last paragraph is where the concern is, “if you aren’t going to travel Light”.
Not many people travel light.
Starlight Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 12:14 PM   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by m rafferty View Post
Your last paragraph is where the concern is, “if you aren’t going to travel Light”.
Not many people travel light.

We do. Those who do so know what it means. Those who don't may want to look at a 250/2500 for the load capacity, but not for any other reason.

Old 09-26-2019, 04:09 AM   #136
Rivet Master

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
You cannot safely tow a 27 with an F 150. The drive train may be big enough but the axles and wheels aren't.
out of sight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 06:23 AM   #137

What do I need to tow a 27FB?

You are certainly entitled to an opinion, even if it’s wrong. We have done so for years with a RAM 1500 and will continue to do so. Yes, we’ve been over CAT scales, etc., etc.

Old 09-26-2019, 06:58 AM   #138
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
If you are buying a truck primarily to tow a 27' Airstream why not get a 3/4 or 1 ton? They make some awful nice HD trucks these days.

If you already have a truck and do not want to change, try it. Then buy the heavier truck.

I think about half the Airstream people I know tow with 1/2 tons and love it. The other half tow with heavier trucks and love it. I know people who have move up and moved down. All happy with the results.

I have towed 12 years now. 4 or 5 months a year with the same 2500 and think it does a great job.
Bill M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 07:35 AM   #139
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by out of sight View Post
You cannot safely tow a 27 with an F 150. The drive train may be big enough but the axles and wheels aren't.

I should tell this to one of my friends in our WBCCI KY unit. He has over 150k miles on his 27FB trailer all towed with F150's since 2010 and he travels heavy....... He and his wife have been all around the continental US and Alaska 2x's.

To the OP - my opinion is that your right on the bubble of a capable half ton and a 3/4 ton. Personally I would opt for the 3/4 ton for extensive traveling. We have a 30' AS, Hensley hitch and 3/4 ton truck and it is a darn solid combination and joy to tow with.
For once-in-a-while campers the capable half ton would be great - just an opinion..... Reread the previous posts above for those who have made the shift to 3/4 ton's and their reasoning as many echo the same sentiments.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 08:13 AM   #140
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
California , MD
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam205 View Post
If BRAKING is a major concern, upgrade your trailer to disc brakes. That will give you a significant braking improvement. If the trailer brakes completely fail, all trucks will strain to stop in an emergency. Under normal conditions, disc brakes stop faster and have a lot less fade.
Concur Big Time. I love all the posts saying buy a big dude truck so you can stop your trailer without mentioning the upgrade to Disc brakes on the trailer.

Check out this thread on tests before and after disc brakes.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f439...ss-177345.html
cru-in is offline   Reply With Quote