Old 12-03-2015, 05:36 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I did have an opportunity to purchase a used ProPride because it wouldn't work with something-or- other on a new Ram- air ride? Integrated brake controller?
I didn't have $1,200 + shipping at the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 10:55 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
I pulled on the ball for a while, which was fine if I kept it close to 60 mph, but I couldn't do that.

This being the case, I scraped up the money for the Hensley and didn't tell my wife till it was bought and paid for. Fortunately she likes it as much as I do.

I studied the hitches for some time before deciding to spend the extra money on what I had decided would be the best solution. I haven't regretted my decision for even a moment.

Brevi tempore!

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 11:59 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Have to agree with Jaxon. No need to spend that much money for the pro pride or Hensley. Get yourself a good "anti" sway device and you will be fine.
Lets face it, one of the reasons we bought an Airstream in the first place is because they tow so well with less issues with passing traffic than most SOB's so now we want to go out and buy a hitch that as far as I can tell from all the forums I have been on, no one else but Airstream owners buy? What's with that,
Get yourself a good " anti" sway device and if you need it a good weight distributing device without breaking the bank and enjoy your travels.

George
Old 12-04-2015, 12:41 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
What are sway bars and do I need them?

You know, I am not one who ever buys the best in much of any category because "best" is often subjective and all too often "best doesn't provide real value. This has been the case with me so much that I have come to despise "high end" and "best" things to a great degree.

This is true for me usually, but an exception for me is good tools. I used to like Craftsman tools, because "they work just like other more expensive tools", except they don't, Hensley designed hitches are great tools that deliver on their promise, its quality in engineering shines through every time I use it.

The OP asked about the best safety equipment, I will state unequivocally that Hensley designed hitches are exactly that.

I.e. ProPride or Hensley

Brevi tempore!

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 01:26 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Ditto. And actual comparison to ball only vs ProPride convinced me I went the right way. Yah, not cheap, but what's the life of my family worth, and the reduction in stress when I head out with my AS in tow....priceless!

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 02:44 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindsayRocks View Post
[snip]
I am towing with a 2016 Nissan Frontier with a full tow package and 4x4.
[snip]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Ditto on the need to keep various functions separated in one's mind.

Lindsay, your 2016 tow vehicle (TV) may have sway control built in already, since it has a full tow package. This would be the first bit of information you need to establish. If your TV does have its own sway control, you may not need additional sway control in your hitch set up.
[snip]
Hi Lindsay, I am wondering if you are still monitoring this thread, and whether you have ascertained the details of your tow vehicle's sway control system (if any)?

I am not sure why so many posters here are recommending hitch-based sway control systems, without first knowing what Lindsay's tow vehicle has for sway control already built in. My understanding is that almost all hitch-based sway control systems might possibly CONFLICT with any tow vehicle OEM sway control already installed. Is this correct?

Perhaps someone can clarify the relationship between the new OEM internal sway control systems and after-market hitch-based systems?

Thanks
Old 12-04-2015, 12:34 PM   #35
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs down

.........snip...."Perhaps someone can clarify the relationship between the new OEM internal sway control systems and after-market hitch-based systems?"

They both control sway AFTER it starts.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 12:55 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
.........snip...."Perhaps someone can clarify the relationship between the new OEM internal sway control systems and after-market hitch-based systems?"

They both control sway AFTER it starts.

Bob
Thanks, but can the two systems ever work at cross-purposes and conflict with each other, perhaps setting up MORE sway than if only one was operating?

Because all the OEM installed tow vehicle sway control systems are relatively new (my 2015 model year Ford Van has one), it seems that the potential for conflict is not widely perceived.

At a minimum the question should be asked more often IMO.

PS edit -- It is my understanding that my van's sway control system relies on sensors that pick up the trailer starting to sway -- little electronic "pendulums" somewhere that send 4 independent signals to each wheel's brake ??? -- and then attempts to cancel the sway by "tapping on the 4 brakes" as needed. Forgive this lay person's perception of this, but depending on how often the van's system is sensing things, and how quickly the hitch system's sway control works, it seems that they could be applying their separate corrective actions in a disjointed fashion?
Old 12-04-2015, 01:27 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
With Hensley/ProPride there is no reaction to sway, the trailer is "locked" by the hitch geometry in a straight line behind the tow vehicle, only the tow vehicle can steer the trailer out of that straight alignment.

That gives other benefits besides eliminating sway. The trailer is always in alignment with the tow vehicle, gusting side winds or passing semis cannot move the trailer out of alignment. The towing comfort is remarkable.

In a steady side wind, the trailer also stays in a straight line behind the tow vehicle. There is no "tow angle" at the hitch connection due to the side wind.

If there is still somehow a potential for conflict between the truck's electronic sway control and the Hensley/ProPride, we have never felt it in many, many thousands of miles so I don't believe there is. Using other hitches I have noticed the electronic sway control actuating, subtle but noticeable, not with this one.

The safety and towing comfort of the Hensley/ProPride design is money well spent, a good used one will provide the same benefits as a new one.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 01:41 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Thanks doug for the concise summary -- makes sense for your hitch.

Peter
Old 12-04-2015, 02:26 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
The downside to the inarguably effective VPP hitches is their weight. They are massive. You might want to calculate the payload on your Frontier before you sign up to bolt a couple of hundred pounds of steel between the a-frame and the hitch receiver.

On a bigger vehicle, the weight is no big deal. On a compact pickup, bigger deal.

Mike
Goofy dog, dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 02:39 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindsayRocks View Post
Hello. I just got my tow vehicle and 1969 Airstream Globetrotter. It's all original except for new air conditioner and updated pvc plumbing (so far) and in the manual it states it weighs 3330 dry. I am towing with a 2016 Nissan Frontier with a full tow package and 4x4. However, I still am unsure what sway bars are and if I need them. I travel mostly alone and it scares my family (it's only been a couple months) so I want to get lots of safety features to ease their concerns. I just don't know if I need sway bars- or even what they are.
Lindsay,
if you are still listening. Everyone has an opinion on this subject. It is a bit overwhelming!
As Jaxon said, You don't need to spend the $$$$ on a Hensley, ProPride or Blue Ox.
Especially with a 20" Airstream.
I know a professional restorer who uses just a ball hitch with small trailers, all the time!
However, I do use a Reese weight distribution hitch with 1000 lb bars and a friction sway bar attached. The weight distribution bars equalize the load from the rear suspension only, to the front suspension as well. much better! I have a 22' Safari. Never had a problem, in countless thousands of miles, ever!

This is from a member from Canada and his RV business.
Can-Am RV :: Hitch Hints
Read HH 43.2 "On the topic of equalizing hitches"
They have good advise and most importantly great info on setting one up correctly. They also have videos showing different towing vehicles and trailer combinations. Good site with good info. Actual testing!

It will make all the difference when your hitch set up correctly. Perhaps some folks just never got theirs set up correctly. So they think the more expensive kinds are better.
Perhaps they are just pushing these expensive things to rationalize their purchase of an over rated hitch.
Either way you go. The point of all this is to have fun with your trailer and be safe doing it.

Happy Trails

-Dennis
Old 12-06-2015, 04:42 PM   #41
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Warner Robins , Georgia
The Anderson hitch info includes this... "NOTE: Currently the Atwood 88007, 88010, 88555 and 88600 couplers are not compatible with the Andersen WD Hitch (all other Atwood couplers are fine)."
I have no idea what coupler is on the '64 Overlander... This hitch looks simpler to my inexperienced eye ;-) Aside from the cost of some, the weight of them seems extreme too. I thought the goal was to minimize weight and yet some WD/Anti-sway hitches are quite heavy.
Old 12-07-2015, 09:13 AM   #42
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroyl View Post
The Anderson hitch info includes this... "NOTE: Currently the Atwood 88007, 88010, 88555 and 88600 couplers are not compatible with the Andersen WD Hitch (all other Atwood couplers are fine)."

I have no idea what coupler is on the '64 Overlander... This hitch looks simpler to my inexperienced eye ;-) Aside from the cost of some, the weight of them seems extreme too. I thought the goal was to minimize weight and yet some WD/Anti-sway hitches are quite heavy.
More than likely not one of the newer cheaper couplers. To be sure, if you can not read the numbers on the top of the coupler, post a picture with the latch in the open position and a close to the coupler as you can.

Since mine was the first or second trailer to have a problem with the coupler and call it to Andersen attention I think I can comment on the cause. The failure of the shark fin on the newer couplers is effected by road conditions. The poor the road the sooner the failure. New Jersey has some real poor roads and the other trailer came from Long Island which has even poorer roads.

My daughters trailer uses the Andersen and I have not seen a problem yet. The original Reese used on the trailer left lot to be desired with respect to steering control.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote