Old 02-26-2008, 08:30 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
1960 18' "Footer"
1959 26' Overlander
Riverside , California
I am confused by something that Breiz said at the beginning of this thread; hooking a old 7 pin connector to a modern "flat" 7 pin connector. I have not seen a 7 pin flat connector on any modern tow vehicle, Dodge, Ford, Chevy, Toyota, etc. The only flat connectors I am aware of are four pin for lights only; brake, running and turn signal but no electric brake control. Our Dodge has both connectors but the four pin is just for light utility trailers, the 7 pin is a "modern" connector for heavy trailers with brakes.

Did I miss something or is there another style connector

What do you want to be in life, a spectator or a participant?

SNU #157
FCU #004
Motoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 08:38 PM   #16
Area 63 Productions
Commercial Member

1963 26' Overlander
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 19' Globetrotter
Orange , California
Send a message via Skype™ to Area63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoman
I am confused by something that Breiz said at the beginning of this thread; hooking a old 7 pin connector to a modern "flat" 7 pin connector. I have not seen a 7 pin flat connector on any modern tow vehicle, Dodge, Ford, Chevy, Toyota, etc. The only flat connectors I am aware of are four pin for lights only; brake, running and turn signal but no electric brake control. Our Dodge has both connectors but the four pin is just for light utility trailers, the 7 pin is a "modern" connector for heavy trailers with brakes.

Both connectors are round, but the one in question here has round pins inside a round plug. The commonly used, low amperage RV one has 7 flat pins inside the round plug.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:40 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1984 34' International
1977 Argosy 24
Central , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoman

The plug itself is round. The flat connectors are in reference to the actual contact points built into the plug. RV plugs have flat contact points. Commerical 7 pin plugs have round pins for connection.

empresley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 08:41 PM   #18
Area 63 Productions
Commercial Member

1963 26' Overlander
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 19' Globetrotter
Orange , California
This should shed some light on things.
Airstream, Inc :: FAQ
The 7-round plug is indeed a better quality connection. If it were me, and if I did not have to pull other trailers, I would convert the truck end to a 7-pin round and make the umbilical cord with 2 of the same round plugs. They are self cleaning, and provide a better electrical connection than the flat terminal RV plugs. There is a reason the professional drivers use these in their 18 wheelers. I have used the 7-pin rounf metal truck end on both my Suburbans, and foud them to be a very positive and safe connection.
However, the standard is still the 7-pin flat.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:07 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
Another point of confusion. The overall shape of the plug on the AS umbilical cord is round male, BUT, the actual connectors are female. The pins are in the TV and trailer, the sockets are in the umbilical. Clear as mud, huh?

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 03:37 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1977 29' Ambassador
Latrobe , Pennsylvania
Yes, my suburban connector is round in shape, I meant the pins were flat. So today I went to murray's auto Electric and bought an $8 connector that has one end where the umbilical will go in and another end that will plug into my 7 pin fla t on my Suburban. So the current plan is to use their umbilical, plug one end into the AS, hack off the other end and attempt to wire it to the newly purchased 7 pin flat connector. If that works, the I'llend up with an umbilical that has a 7 round on one end and a 7 flat on the other. Then, in theory we can plug into the Suburban and go (if only it is that simple). We're going to attempt this in the rv dealer's parking lot, did I mention that? Wish us luck!

The main problem I can see (aside from the ridiculous weather here in PA) is that we could wire it correctly only to not have any lights function. Then we'll be wondering did we wire it wrong or were the lights non-functioning already.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:03 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Irmo , South Carolina
That will work fine. Just follow the wiring diagram that came with the plug you bought and you'll be on the road in no time.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:26 AM   #22
Area 63 Productions
Commercial Member

1963 26' Overlander
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 19' Globetrotter
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breiz
Yes, my suburban connector is round in shape, I meant the pins were flat. So today I went to murray's auto Electric and bought an $8 connector that has one end where the umbilical will go in and another end that will plug into my 7 pin fla t on my Suburban. So the current plan is to use their umbilical, plug one end into the AS, hack off the other end and attempt to wire it to the newly purchased 7 pin flat connector. If that works, the I'llend up with an umbilical that has a 7 round on one end and a 7 flat on the other. Then, in theory we can plug into the Suburban and go (if only it is that simple). We're going to attempt this in the rv dealer's parking lot, did I mention that? Wish us luck!

The main problem I can see (aside from the ridiculous weather here in PA) is that we could wire it correctly only to not have any lights function. Then we'll be wondering did we wire it wrong or were the lights non-functioning already.
On the trailer end, the center contact should be the charge line. The large pin should be the ground.
The other pins are lights and brakes.
Bring a wired inline 10A fuse, such as found on the back of car stereos.Also, bring a few spare fuses....
With both wire ends bare, you can use this little device to test the lights on teh trailer before you plug it into your tow vehicle, to eliminate the trailer as a trouble source. This requires that the trailer indeed does have a battery installed, and that it has enough of a charge to run a 20w bulb....
Do not connect the center contact to the large pin, though, but in case you do, worst thing is that you blow the fuse immediately.
If you bridge the center contact to one fo the other pins, then either the brake should click, or the lights should come on, depending if it is wired correctly.
Good Luck!
Uwe
Old 03-01-2008, 08:33 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1977 29' Ambassador
Latrobe , Pennsylvania
Thank you to everyone for your help. We did go look at the AS today and we bought it! It's a 1977 AS Ambassador 29. There was seriously 2+ feet of snow there and 1 of the tires was flat (other 3 dry rotted though) so we didn't hook up any cables today. We paid for it and the rv dealer is taking it to get 4 new tires (at our expense of course). We're to pick it up hopefully on Wednesday. It seems that someone already made an umbilical like I was describing. There was one in the kitchen sink cabinet (which is missing the rolling door) that looked to have one end 7 round and one end 7 flat. We're hoping for better weather when we actually attempt to tow it home. We are armed with a battery, alligator clips and fuses though. We also bought a weight distributing hitch from the rv dealer. We brought that home with us to start assembling. We'll let you know what happens when we get the AS.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:43 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1977 29' Ambassador
Latrobe , Pennsylvania
We brought our AS home yesterday. The umbilical that we had found under the AS sink was indeed a 7 round on one end and a 7 flat on the other. So lucky us, no rewiring needed!

Towed 2.5 hours home down the turnpike, no real problems. We're very excited and can't wait until this weekend when we'll have time to go inside and learn all about our new purchase.

Thanks to everyone for all of their help!