Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2017, 10:11 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2013 28' International
Bozeman , Montana
Went to the dark side, F150 to F350

Although I've overall been very pleased with our 2013 F150 Ecoboost Max Tow, at 115k miles we decided to buy a new truck with lots of long journeys planned for the next few years. The F150 with a Propride hitch has been a very stable tow platform, even with frequent drives in heavy cross winds, and the engine has been great with loads over power. We have had about 1640 available payload per yellow door sticker which we are right there each time we have run it across the scales.

We looked into a new F150 and to get the level of toys that I want on the truck, we end up with door stickers around 1450 pounds of available payload which we would be over with our normal gear. Also, the new F150's felt a lot softer then our current one and I really question how stable of platform it would be compared to our old truck. I'm also considering hauling a moto with me at some point so really wanted to do a jump in payload. With only a token price increase and no noticeable ride difference from an F250, we ended up picking up a F350 Platinum with all the toys. We have around 3300 pounds of available payload.

Absolutely love the truck. Along with being a torque monster, love having he exhaust brake, the pano roof, all the cameras, adaptive cruise, all LED lighting, even messaging seats. If you haven't checked out the '17 Super Dutys, the are a completely different animal then the prior years. The biggest downside is getting it in our garage (3" to spare) and knowing we don't have the same turning radius and it will be hard to back our Airstream in tighter campsites.

The big challenge is we currently have is our Airstream is in storage out of state and I'll need to get our Propride hitch set up for the new truck at the storage facility when we get there next month. I will do a new stinger for the 2 1/2" hitch receiver and the longer drop piece since the new truck is so much taller. I have spoken with Sean at Propride and he recommended that I stay with the 1400 pound spring bars we currently have even though it seems like overkill since I shouldn't need to push much weight to the front axle and I don't want to beat the trailer with the stiffer truck. He said that I should just lessen the amount of weight transfer with the jacks and I should be good.

If anyone else has a 2017 F350 using a Propride has any additional thoughts I would sure appreciate hearing them.
HeadWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 10:48 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

Maple Valley , Washington
Congrats on your new ride!! I picked up the same truck today and have been trying to figure out a good towing setup for my 19'FC lol. I think i might just hitch mount it to the back with no W/D hitch. I've towed heavy trailers with my RAM and never had an issue. Let me know what you end up doing because I'm in a similar situation. We used to tow with my wifes Audi Q7 (which towed great).

Thanks and congrats on a GREAT truck!
jimmyle89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 05:33 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
If you go on the ball i would suggest you still get sway control units.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 05:50 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
The Platinum is A LOT of truck, I have the XLT different needs... I agree with not putting much weight back on the front, at the scales the front is just over 5200 and the rear is at 3000 keeping a more level weight bias is good, so long as the front end isn't raised too much, that diesel will hold it down pretty well.

X2 on maintaining sway control though.

The best feature, to me, the adaptive cruise control will apply the trailer brakes along with the trucks, regular cruise won't, XLT is regular..

Congrats
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 06:21 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
mcdonough , Georgia
Here is the weight transfer on my 17 F350 6.7 CCSB with equalizer hitch, and was wondering if I needed to transfer a little more weight to the front.

Truck only
Steer axle 5000
Drive axle 3680

WDH not engaged bars in bed of truck
Steer axle 4560
Drive axle 5120
Trailer axle 7900

WDH engaged
Steer axle 4720
Drive axle 4920
Trailer axle 7960
ksteve06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 06:47 AM   #6
2017 FC 28 Twin

Plymouth , Indiana
I can’t help but ask this question,which in turn will get me tar & feathered, Why do you need the propride at all because you have it? why have the extra weight and handling the thing when traveling/camping. I have to ask this question,How many AS make it to the dealers no matter the distance being towed by numerous similar trucks which you have purchased with nothing more then ball hitch, allot is the answer, Sway control maybe if you need it I’m going on a limb and say that’s not even necessary but it may give an additional layer of safety, you stated a concern regarding the stiffer truck suspension and the effect it will have on the AS my suggestion sell the PPride buy an air ride hitch such as Shocker or GenY have the manufacturer weld on a Sway ball and go down the road. I think if you hooked to the AS and did an actual test trip just ball hitched you would not only surprise yourself but be impressed with the truck and trailer combination and overall performance. This of course is just IMHO, now take it easy on me I’m very sensitive and wear my feelings on my sleeve😎
Old 12-01-2017, 07:03 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
My opinion, sway control is always necessary. Itowed a 30footer on the ball and tbe sc was very useful.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 08:19 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Glen Arbor , Michigan
I have the 2017 F250 6.7 which, until the extra leaf spring is engaged, has the same suspension as the F350 (I think the front springs may also be a bit different)

I am using the pro pride with 1400 pound bars and 5.5 inches. I don't have my last ticket with me, but my truck axles where very well balanced.

The ride, and stability are amazing.

John
Wanna EB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 09:34 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4867.jpg
Views:	592
Size:	310.2 KB
ID:	300114

I run a Airsafe Hitch mated to a Equilizer WD on our 2017 F350 6.7 TD Platinum Supercrew with 8ft box.Could not ask for a better tow vehicle for our 28ft International.We travel with a Two up CanAm Outlander Max atv along with two Hobie kayaks when we go on adventures.
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 10:03 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Cary , North Carolina
3 inches to spare going into the garage...lucky you! I have about 1/2 inch for our 2017 F-250 Super Crew Cab...but it fits! We love our truck and as others say it is born to tow!

When we purchased our 2017 26U FC we found our previous F150 3.5L EcoBoost with Max Tow just a bit light. It pulled OK but I could feel the trailer pushed the truck a bit; having the 6.7L PowerStroke is far different and the engine break is awesome when we hit the mountains and hills of NC/TN/VA.

I also enjoy the extra payload I get with the F-250. We like to take our Yaks and SUPs with us and maybe throw in the generator if we are more off grid. I'd hate to have to leave something behind!

On a recent trip loaded for travel (70% Fresh water / 0% Gray / 0% waste/34 gal diesel / dog/ wife/ truck bed of goodies) the CAT Scales recorded:
Steer: 4680
Drive: 4860
Trailer: 15560

This with the Blue Ox WD hitch with 4 full links showing below the cam. I use the fourth link as they are 1500 lbs tension bars and the fourth link is not hard to grab and turn with a little lift on the trailer jack.

I still use the Blue Ox WD as I feel better having the anti-sway function of the hitch and the rig pulls beautifully. I usually set my cruise control at 67 MPH and love the adaptive feature as I rarely ever have to brake going down the freeways.
Lil Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 10:18 AM   #11
Damien

2012 27' FB International
2023 30' Flying Cloud
Lafayette , Colorado
I'm also moving up from F150 --> F350 (Gen-Y Torsion Hitch)

Your situation is very similar to mine and I relate to all your points about payload. As the 3 kids are growing (and new dog) we want to bring Kayaks and whatever other toys without having to thinking about what to leave behind. For the negligible difference in cost, it made the most sense to skip the F-250 platinum with its 2000lb of payload and just get the F-350 (3300 lb).

I've been pulling our 27FB with a 2015 F150 for 3 years using and Equalizer hitch. The truck has a been a champ and I never had sway issues, but taking the minimum in the bed was always top-of-mind and going downhill on the steep Colorado grades was stressful on me and the brakes.

Although I've been happy with the performance of the Equalizer hitch, there was no way I was going to beat up the Airstream with an F-350 / Equalizer combo. I thought about just towing on the ball, but the issue of sway kept creeping back in my conscience. I thought about adding an Air-safe hitch coupled to the Equalizer hitch, but instead found out about the Gen-Y Torsion hitch, which I'm going to mate to their WDH head and tapered round spring bars. I'm going to reuse my existing L brackets from the Equalizer set up which will give me 2-point sway control.

I received the hitch but won't have the truck for another couple of weeks.

Photo #1 is what the set up will look like (courtesy of my Boulder neighbors at TFLtruck.com)

Photo #2 is the Gen-Y Torsion Hitch

Photo #3 is the Gen-Y WDH head, to which I'm attaching the tapered spring bars (also ordered from Gen-Y, they are e2 brand)

I ordered direct from Gen-Y. I spoke to the owner on the phone, who matched me up with the right size and drop. Hopefully this will be a good set up that's gentle on the Airstream.

https://genyhitch.com/shop/16k-adjus...on-drop-hitch/
https://genyhitch.com/shop/weight-distribution-kit/
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tfl-truck.jpg
Views:	568
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	300115   Click image for larger version

Name:	torsion hitch.jpg
Views:	540
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	300116  

Name:	head.jpg
Views:	534
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	300117  
tot2learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 11:22 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
albuquerque , New Mexico
One quick question.....what kind of messages does your seat send you?!?!
splintair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 11:32 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
mcdonough , Georgia
Went to the dark side, F150 to F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by tot2learn View Post
Your situation is very similar to mine and I relate to all your points about payload. As the 3 kids are growing (and new dog) we want to bring Kayaks and whatever other toys without having to thinking about what to leave behind. For the negligible difference in cost, it made the most sense to skip the F-250 platinum with its 2000lb of payload and just get the F-350 (3300 lb).

I've been pulling our 27FB with a 2015 F150 for 3 years using and Equalizer hitch. The truck has a been a champ and I never had sway issues, but taking the minimum in the bed was always top-of-mind and going downhill on the steep Colorado grades was stressful on me and the brakes.

Although I've been happy with the performance of the Equalizer hitch, there was no way I was going to beat up the Airstream with an F-350 / Equalizer combo. I thought about just towing on the ball, but the issue of sway kept creeping back in my conscience. I thought about adding an Air-safe hitch coupled to the Equalizer hitch, but instead found out about the Gen-Y Torsion hitch, which I'm going to mate to their WDH head and tapered round spring bars. I'm going to reuse my existing L brackets from the Equalizer set up which will give me 2-point sway control.

I received the hitch but won't have the truck for another couple of weeks.

Photo #1 is what the set up will look like (courtesy of my Boulder neighbors at TFLtruck.com)

Photo #2 is the Gen-Y Torsion Hitch

Photo #3 is the Gen-Y WDH head, to which I'm attaching the tapered spring bars (also ordered from Gen-Y, they are e2 brand)

I ordered direct from Gen-Y. I spoke to the owner on the phone, who matched me up with the right size and drop. Hopefully this will be a good set up that's gentle on the Airstream.

https://genyhitch.com/shop/16k-adjus...on-drop-hitch/

https://genyhitch.com/shop/weight-distribution-kit/

We have the equalizer with F350 and haven’t noticed the airstream being beat up. So far so good, last trip on a pretty bumpy interstate everything stayed put in the airstream. We have 1000lbs bars and have a 30ft classic with a 1000lb tongue weight.
ksteve06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 11:35 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
albuquerque , New Mexico
Congratulations! I'm sure you will not regret the change!
splintair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 12:34 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Chappell Hill , Texas
The 2017 Ford Super Duty trucks all come with factory sway control so that's a bonus many don't know about!
tbashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 12:58 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2020 16' Nest
Sparta , New Jersey
I'm curious about the 2.5" vs 2" decision. I have a 2.5 with a 2" reducer. When I was exploring propride, I vaguely (and maybe incorrectly) remember Sean saying just go with the 2". And maybe the reason was something to do with in case you ever break down, you'll have more flexibility in getting a helpful TV to haul your trailer.

Of course, I haven't pulled the propride trigger yet as we have not yet a trailer. In any event, what do you see as the advantages and disadvantages of 2.5 vs 2 with the reducer?

Thanks,
Ken
kcardinal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 02:38 PM   #17
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The difference between the F-250 and F-350 is mighty small these days. Once you step up the springs on a 250 to the max, the 350 is just the next step in the sequence. It's hard to see anything (other than springs) that change when you make that jump.

One *really* weird thing you apparently hit in some states - the 350 is considered "commercial only". Your registration costs jump in some nonsensical way. The same sorts of nutty legal nonsense apparently can happen as you go in and out of other countries.

The current crop of big Ford's do have anti-sway built into the braking system. It's not something you want to depend on. I have activated it and seen what it does. Any of the normal choices for WD / anti-sway hitch will give you a much more pleasant (and safer) ride.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 03:02 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Congratulations! Not sure if you went with the 6.7diesel? I made the move from my 2012 F150 EB 3.5 and 25'AS earlier this year, and moved up to the 2017 F250 King Ranch, loaded, with the new 28'FC AS. We have logged 22K miles now on the new truck since June pulling the AS and love the safety and braking while in cruise mode, the cameras, the 2300 lb payload, ride, sunroof, sound system, rear seat storage, etc, etc, etc...you should be quite happy! I miss the maneuverability of my F150, the MPG, and oil maintenance cost savings, but love this truck with this AS!

By the way, I use the Blue Ox WDH, (3rd one), and am happy. There are lots of "opinions" about "to use a WDH or not to use one", but I go along with many experts here and think best to be safe and use WDH, no matter how "lucky" you may be.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 03:43 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Huntsville , Alabama
We upgraded from F150 to 2017 F250 Platinum Diesel for our 26U.
Love the truck even as a daily driver.

1. Love the cameras especially for parking in garage, or just parking anywhere. Our Nissan had the camera system therefore when looking for a new truck it was a "must have".

2. Initially towed "on the ball" and I can tell you the Equalizer (or similar) made a huge difference. Absolutely get something at a minimum just for the anti-sway (but the WD did make a big difference too). I did not have any real sway issues, but it certainly solidified the whole rig (along with WD).

3. Correct me if I am wrong, but it's not a good idea to use the adaptive cruise when towing because the auto-braking does not apply the trailer brakes. Best to switch to "normal" cruise if want cruise control, but I find even with that I can sometimes get uncomfortable. I prefer to just use my foot and adjust as necessary (especially for going over bridges and such).
I just feel more in control in manual mode except long smooth straight parts of an interstate.

Overall I think you will love the F350 (but all the super-trucks are awesome these days).
Old 12-01-2017, 03:53 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by MWBishop View Post
We upgraded from F150 to 2017 F250 Platinum Diesel for our 26U.
Love the truck even as a daily driver.

1. Love the cameras especially for parking in garage, or just parking anywhere. Our Nissan had the camera system therefore when looking for a new truck it was a "must have".

2. Initially towed "on the ball" and I can tell you the Equalizer (or similar) made a huge difference. Absolutely get something at a minimum just for the anti-sway (but the WD did make a big difference too). I did not have any real sway issues, but it certainly solidified the whole rig (along with WD).

3. Correct me if I am wrong, but it's not a good idea to use the adaptive cruise when towing because the auto-braking does not apply the trailer brakes. Best to switch to "normal" cruise if want cruise control, but I find even with that I can sometimes get uncomfortable. I prefer to just use my foot and adjust as necessary (especially for going over bridges and such).
I just feel more in control in manual mode except long smooth straight parts of an interstate.

Overall I think you will love the F350 (but all the super-trucks are awesome these days).
I love using cruise coupled with the automatic engine breaking features. I cruise at highway speeds, and can increase/decrease speeds with my thumbs as needed, and the F250 systems will adjust as needed to help. Very nice driving at highway speeds while towing.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote