Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2003, 08:21 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Weight Distribution, side to side

This winter I plan to rebuild the interior curb side of our 67 Tradewind. Most likely I will replace the twin bed on that side with storage and a desk.

How concerned should I be about adding weight to one side?

Is weight distribution as big of a concern as weight addition?

If there was too much weight on one side what would the symptoms be, how would I know?

Has anyone taken an A/S to a truck scale and tried to weigh one side at a time?
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 08:40 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Hey Jim,
A little of the subject... Were you in loveland this march when the big one hit? Used to live in Keystone 83-89, and was visiting friends when the storm came in. We had 6-8 feet of snow on our side and could not believe the photos on your side. How did your A/S fair in the snow...

Abe
Vajeep
vajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 08:00 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

We had about a foot and a half. Other areas close by had buch more. Snow falls right off the A/S.
Old 08-12-2003, 09:10 AM   #4

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Re: Weight Distribution, side to side

Quote:
Originally posted by JimC
Has anyone taken an A/S to a truck scale and tried to weigh one side at a time?
I took my Safari to an A-Weigh-We-Go seminar held by an SOB dealer near my home. At that seminar they used 4 scales to get individual wheel loads. While the numbers are at home and I'm at work, I found that the curb side of my Safari was carrying a greater weight that street side. I assume that they figure the food in the refrigerator and the pantry will balance out the load. I truly was expecting that the street side would have been the heavier side due to the bathroom and refrigerator. I'll get the numbers and post them tonight.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 09:17 AM   #5
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
weight distribution

I am in the process of doing the same thing in my unit. I rebuilt the twin bed heavier and am keeping the desk as light as posible. After that I will just hold my breath and see if she leans!
When I rebuilt the rear bath and front cough, I made sure the wieght was equal but was a pain in the ***, so I am running the risk on this project.
Gunnyusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 09:18 PM   #6

Fenton , Missouri
As promised here are the weights on the individual tires of my Safari. Note this was with full LP tanks, no water, nothing in the refrigerator or closet. All other camping supplies onboard.

Curbside front 1,500 rear 1100
Streetside front 1,380 rear 1,350

I'm assuming that the curbside rear would pick up extra weight when the rear closets are in use and when the dual closet in the hallway (across from the bath) is loaded up. Capacity of the tires are 2,540 each at 65psi.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 08-13-2003, 12:20 PM   #7
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Fortunately ...

the Airstream tankage is symmetrical side to side. That is what I had trouble with on my two previous SOB trailers; any of the tanks being full greatly skewed the loading side to side.

In my Scamp, a full fresh tank overloaded both tire and axle on one side. You could see the trailer heel over looking from behind it.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 02:14 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Jack,

Looks like you have reasonable distribution side-to-side. but front-to-back on the curb is interesting. As I understand your message, you will add even more weight to the rear curb tire when you fill the closets. Do you think this will cause a tire ware problem?

On two axle rigs like ours a flat, or low air pressure, would put all the weight on one tire, and your case it would be over capacity. I wonder what the safety margin when going down the road at xx mph on one tire on a hot day?

So far it seems like the side-to-side weight issue is one of not overloading a single tire under normal conditions, and worry about the results of low or no air pressure really over loading a tire.

I wonder how much imballance would be required to lean an A/S to one side - given the axle construction. Do we care? How much lean begins to impact towing?

Jim
Old 08-13-2003, 03:19 PM   #9

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally posted by JimC
Jack,

On two axle rigs like ours a flat, or low air pressure, would put all the weight on one tire, and your case it would be over capacity.
Jim
Ah the missing fact. The load capacity of a tire technically increases as you lower your speed. That's why they tell you in the Airstream manual to reduce your speed (I forgot what it is) when you are forced to tow with one tire.

I'll have to look at the tire data I was given at the seminar but I think I have a graph with shows how the load rating for a tire decreases as you travel faster. I'm not sure though when a tire is rated for its load capacity, what speed is used when calculating. Unfortunately that third fact is not stamped on the side wall.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15