Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2016, 03:08 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
Weight Distribution question

I'm still a newby but making progress. We have a 19 ft. 2015 Bambi that we bought new. My TV is a 2014 1/2 ton Chevy Suburban LTZ. It has automatic load levelers(not sure how that effects the WD). Concerning the WD bars/chains what is supposed to happen when you go from say 1 chain link to 2 links to 3? Do more links distribute the weight forward to the front axle or just the opposite? What is my goal using the chain links and how do I know I have done it correctly? Thanks.

Mark
Lets go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 03:36 PM   #2
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
What hitch are you using?

The way to know if you are achieving what you want to achieve is to take the rig to the CAT scales and weigh it the tow vehicle hitched and unhitched. Loaded for travel with passengers and unloaded.

Generally, you will move more weight from the rear axle to the front axle if you have fewer links between the tongue attachment and the spring bar. How you count the links is the key here.

Read the threads on your hitch. Read the threads on weight distribution. Some push for the return of the unloaded front axle weight. Others push for equal front and rear axle loading. Your tow vehicle manual will help as well.

The automatic systems, usually an air suspension, do not transfer weight. They just level the load. Very helpful, but not all of the solution. The automatic sway control electronics are same. They are helpful, but until they integrate with the coach braking, they are only part of the answer.

There are a lot of folks with hundreds of thousands of miles of tow experience, that post here. Your time spent reading their comments will expand your understanding of the dynamics of towing. It's complex, but not difficult to understand after you work with it a while.

Good luck. Go slow until you have it figured out. Travel safe. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 07:03 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
WD question

Thanks Pat.
Just FYI; I have an EZ lift Elite Round Bar 800 WD and EZ Sway bar. I will search around the forum for comments on this product. Thanks again.

Mark
Lets go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 08:15 PM   #4
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
CanAm recommends that hitch. Suggest a quick call to them, if you continue to have an issue with it. It's reasonably straight forward. Fewer links between bar and hook shifts more weight forward to front axle. More links between bar and hook shifts less weight to the forward axle.

There is no built in sway control in the basic version of that hitch. It needs one or two brake pad friction sway control bars. May have come with them, but if not, they should be installed for a travel trailer application like yours.

Good luck. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote