Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-27-2017, 03:00 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
Weight Distribution Hitch & Sway Control options

I found out you CAN INFACT install both Weight Distribution Hitch & Sway Control for a trailer on the audi, bmw or Mercedes SUV. They all accept them.

The OEM does not like to tell you this because they are not allowed in Europe due to political reasons. Old policies and job savers mandated that brakes on trailer, sway control and weight distribution were outlawed in Europe. their current passenger vehicle hookups options are vastly inferior to NA. This was a surprise to me.

My local dealer vetted this list and said any are all fine

https://www.jenreviews.com/best-weig...ibution-hitch/
Fastway 92-00-1200 Control Hitch
Eaz-Lift 48058 Elite Weight Distributing Hitch
Eaz-Lift 48057 Elite Weight Distributing Hitch Kit
Blue Ox BXW1501 SwayPro Latch Weight Distributing
Hitch Pro Series 49930 Complete Weight Distribution Kit
CURT 17500 TruTrack Trunnion Bar Weight Distribution Hitch

http://www.distributionhitch.com/

Camco Eaz-Lift Pro Star Weight Distribution Hitch 550lb
Camco 48058 Eaz-Lift Weight Distribution Hitch w/ Sway Control & Ball
Curt 17500 Trunnion & Round Bar Weight Distribution Distributing equalizer
Hitch Progress Manufacturing 6000 lbs Equal-I-Zer Weight Distribution Equalizer Hitch
Reese Reese Pro Series Weight Distribution Hitch & Sway Control RV Camper
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Weight Distribution Hitch 1000
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 03:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
feedback request: Equal-i-zer's Integrated 4-Point Sway Control

does anyone have any comment on this sway and weight distribution combo.

this is what my AS dealer wants to install
http://www.equalizerhitch.com/About%.../fourpoint.php
Old 03-01-2017, 04:33 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
I towed a Bigfoot Trailer for 10 years using the Equalizer system and loved it. Easy to set up and effective.

Now have a 26U purchased from Can-am RV. The Hitch of choice there is the reliable Eaz-lift/Husky weight/sway system. Owner and techs there do not recommend the Equalizer for Airstreams.

The Bigfoot has a different frame construction and flexes. The Airstream has a more rigid frame setup and does not do well under a rough ride.

Take a look at the weight distribution bars....Equalizer...square and no flex. Eaz-lift, Reese, Blue ox all have tapered bars with more give to them. How do you see your nice new AS bouncing down the road?

And there are many, many idividuals on this forum towing their AS with the with the Equalizer setup...and happy with it...good luck with your choice and nice to see another Canadian here with a shinny new AS.
Old 03-01-2017, 04:54 PM   #4
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by waninae39 View Post
I found out you CAN INFACT install both Weight Distribution Hitch & Sway Control for a trailer on the audi, bmw or Mercedes SUV. They all accept them.
While all of these vehicles can in fact work well with weight distributing equipment and sway control, some original equipment (OE) receivers mounted on these vehicles are not designed for large amounts of WD. It isn't that the chassis isn't strong enough, it is the receiver itself. With a moderate sized trailer they should be fine, but larger trailers will benefit from having the receivers strengthened so as to handle the bending moment from the WD bars.
jcl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 06:07 PM   #5

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:

I'm very pleased with my Equal-i-zer. Been using this since 2004 and find that it does a great job on sway and weight distribution. Can be noisy at low speeds, but that's just the friction side of the hitch doing it's job. If you have specific questions please ask.

Regards,

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 06:33 PM   #6
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
I would not use that hitch. Most Airstream dealers sell both the Blue Ox Sway Pro and the Equal-I-zer hitches. I recommend the Blue Ox. The Equal-I-zer is a stiff hitch. Both the chassis of your vehicle and your Airstream will thank you for giving them the softest ride possible. As you are towing a 22, it may be possible to use an Anderson WD/SC hitch. I do not like it, but it is similar in price and the fans say it is easy to install. I believe that short of moving up to a Hensley or Propride force projection hitch, the Blue OX is the best alternative. Others will work, I just think springs work better than friction devices. Good luck with your choice. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 08:52 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
what about this model

https://www.reesehitches.com/categor...on_Hitches,954

Pro Series Weight Distribution Kit With Friction Sway Control - 750 lb
Pro Series (Part #: 49902)
Old 03-01-2017, 09:41 PM   #8
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
https://www.reesehitches.com/categor...on_Hitches,954

Pro Series Weight Distribution Kit With Friction Sway Control - 750 lb
Pro Series (Part #: 49902)
The CanAm folks recommend the Easilift hitch and friction sway control which is very similar to that hitch. It is supposed to be simple to setup and adjust. For a lot of folks and a lot of miles, friction sway control is reported to work well. The only complaint is the need to lighten the friction to back up. There is also a Reece dual cam hitch that folks really like. I read it can be difficult to align, but if properly setup it is reported to work well.

Good luck with your research. Good you are trying to learn. Pat
Old 03-01-2017, 10:18 PM   #9

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
. For a lot of folks and a lot of miles, friction sway control is reported to work well. The only complaint is the need to lighten the friction to back up. There is also a Reece dual cam hitch that folks really like. I read it can be difficult to align, but if properly setup it is reported to wo

I've used both. A Reece dual cam for about 5 years prior to the Equal-i-zer. Each have their good and less desirable sides. Either is highly recommended although in my usage, I find that the Equal-I-zer does a little better job in keeping my Classic centered during heavy cross winds. Also note that the friction control in an Equal-i-zer is a function of the hitch itself. That means it needs no adjustment for backing up. That requirement for adjusting friction is usually associated with sway controls that are add on products to hitch platforms. The dual-cam Reese doesn't require friction adjustments when backing either.

Alignment is necessary for Reese dual-cam and Equal-I-zer hitches upon initial installation. Once installed, hitching and unhitching require no further alignment requirements.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 11:31 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Bend , Oregon
I have heard nothing but great things about CanAm and would value their recommendation. We have towed our 16' many times with our Audi Q5 TDI and an Equalizer hitch and been very happy with the experience.
Poseidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 04:51 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
Andy Thompson and Can Am have almost 50 years of experience in hitches and sway control on a lot of different vehicles. Call them they can help.

Lucky Dave, Denver NC
mccrosti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 05:39 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Holly Springs , Mississippi
Andy at CanAm recommended to me the Eaz-Lift and Husky friction sway bars. He likes the Husky bars because they are effective and quiet (no squeaking, groaning, etc.).
I substituted the Curt hitch because it had zerk grease fittings for the bars; otherwise it's almost a duplicate of the Eaz-Lift. Were I doing it again, I'd probably use the Eaz-Lift -- just as good, less money, and the zerks don't really matter.

2016 FC 25' FB twin
2013 F-150 Lariat CrewCab 3.5 EB 4X4 3.55 axle
Bob662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 08:02 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
can-am recommends Eaz-Lift 600lb Elite Hitch Kit

7068942390348818 Eaz-Lift 600lb Elite Hitch Kit Ready-to-use kits come fully assembled for quicker setup. Each Kit includes Elite weight-distributing hitch, sway control, sway control ball, 2-5/16 hitch ball, and hardware Round bar WDH with shank Sway Control Hitch Ball Quicker set-up Fully assembled- U-bolts and chain package pre-installed, hitch ball and sway control ball pre-installed and torqued http://www.eaz-lift.com/product-page...lite-hitch-kit SKU: 48056 Minimizes sway caused by passing trucks and sudden wind gusts. Double friction disc brake principle provides constant sway abatement. Attaches with easy socket and spring connectors; removes for easy storage. Zinc-plated slide bar for smooth, consistent action. Trailers over 25 feet may requires two sway controls. http://www.eaz-lift.com/product-page...-sway-controls SKU: 48380 - Right Mounted Passenger Side SKU: 48381 - Left Mounted Driver Side
Old 03-02-2017, 11:43 AM   #14
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
I think all the major WD/Anti-sway setups will work fine. Each has its own +/-.

There is a huge equalizer hitch thread on this forum with details about that particular product. Many of us have 20k+ towing miles with equalizer without issue.

I recently replaced my equalizer... and after extensive market research I chose to replace it with another equalizer (same 10k model). In the end its a simple design that does the job for me.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 11:50 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' International
Williamsburg , Virginia
My VW Tourag (2015) owners manual has a warning that says do not install a weight distribution system because it could fail...my dealer says that it is not a problem and they do it all the time, I'm confused!
sonny.bowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 12:35 PM   #16
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado

Many European countries do not allow WD hitches by law. Also note that the configuration (tongue weight) of European trailers is different from the US and Australia (less tongue weight in Europe so WD is simply not needed in many cases).

As a result many European car manufacturers do 2 things: (1) state that you should not use a WD hitch so they are not liable in Europe if you decide to use a WD hitch and break the law and (2) engineer their receivers for downward load only (vs twisting/torque load of a WD hitch).

For the toureg it's a well known fact that there are many owners in the US who use WD hitches with this car. It (a WD hitch) is required for the heavier nose/tongue weight of the trailers in the US.

Some of the above owners choose to reinforce their receiver to accommodate the twisting forces applied by a WD hitch. Others do not modify the receiver and use as-is.

It's up to the owner to decide if you want to modify the receiver for US WD hitch use to improve the margin of safety with the overall setup and mechanical connection of the receiver to the vehicle.

Nobody who understands vehicle dynamics would choose not to use a WD hitch with a 5000lb+ trailer in the US with a US trailer that has 10-15% tongue weight unless they own a 3/4 ton truck or better. Even then, personally, I'd still use WD so as not to unload the front axle which translates to understeer.

Hope this helps.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 12:40 PM   #17
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonny.bowers View Post
My VW Tourag (2015) owners manual has a warning that says do not install a weight distribution system because it could fail...my dealer says that it is not a problem and they do it all the time, I'm confused!
Edit - Yes, what he said.

German manufacturers have a problem with Weight Distribution. It was proposed by an American company that wanted a royalty for their design. The company that had most of the European tow equipment business worked hard to establish an environment where hitch tongue weights are lower and travel speeds are reduced to a level that sway is not too probable. There were even some laws passed. There are also difficulties in finding appropriate locations on the chassis to attach a hitch that is robust enough to properly accommodate a weight distribution system.

Towing is not an "ask someone and get a simple answer" kind of deal. If that is your approach, buy a 3/4 or 1/ton diesel truck with a Class IV or better hitch.

If you are up for some research and new technical knowledge, the forums for the Toureg, Cayan, and Audi Q5/7 can be of help. There are a lot of folks towing with a Toureg, so it should be possible to hook up with a mentor. By many we talk to on the road, it is assumed to be the right way to go if you want an SUV as a tow vehicle. But of course, that is just hearsay. You need to get unconfused or don't do it. Verify and don't assume what you are told is correct. Good luck. Pat
Old 03-02-2017, 02:50 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:

I understand that it is a very good hitch, however...........
As a retired Aircraft Mechanic, (A.M.E.) the idea of metal rubbing on metal rubs me the wrong way.

Trailer Trash waiting for spring.........."
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 02:52 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:

The OEM does not like to tell you this because they are not allowed in Europe due to political reasons. Old policies and job savers mandated that brakes on trailer, sway control and weight distribution were outlawed in Europe. their current passenger vehicle hookups options are vastly inferior to NA. This was a surprise to me.

My local dealer vetted this list and said any are all fine

https://www.jenreviews.com/best-weig...ibution-hitch/
Fastway 92-00-1200 Control Hitch
Eaz-Lift 48058 Elite Weight Distributing Hitch
Eaz-Lift 48057 Elite Weight Distributing Hitch Kit
Blue Ox BXW1501 SwayPro Latch Weight Distributing
Hitch Pro Series 49930 Complete Weight Distribution Kit
CURT 17500 TruTrack Trunnion Bar Weight Distribution Hitch

http://www.distributionhitch.com/

Camco Eaz-Lift Pro Star Weight Distribution Hitch 550lb
Camco 48058 Eaz-Lift Weight Distribution Hitch w/ Sway Control & Ball
Curt 17500 Trunnion & Round Bar Weight Distribution Distributing equalizer
Hitch Progress Manufacturing 6000 lbs Equal-I-Zer Weight Distribution Equalizer Hitch
Reese Reese Pro Series Weight Distribution Hitch & Sway Control RV Camper
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Weight Distribution Hitch 1000
Good Grief! What a pile of superlative 'bests'!
Me? I have an Ezy-Lift that seems to work.
I also have a redundant Reese Dual Cam complete assembly.
Anybody interested?

Look after your equipment, it will look after you.
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 03:46 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Gatineau , Quebec
Quote:
Our dealer just installed a Husky CenterLine on our 22FB-Volks Touareg combination. Haven't tried it yet.

By the way, I see that you are also from the Ottawa area. You probably already know that RV Canada no longer carries the Airstream Line. We bought ours in October and it must have been one of their very last sales. They continue to service them however. I heard that Airstream has slightly reduced the number of dealers throughout North America.

Hope to meet you some time.