Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-04-2017, 05:15 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by waninae39 View Post
I spoke to the service mgr at the dealer. He stated that it was AS that insisted that "equalizer hitch with 2 or 4 way sway " be the only add on hitch for WD and Sway control that can be used on an AS. All other trailers they sell can use any brand. They stated that they would "allow me to use any other leading brand".

thus i am now leaning on either the
reese pro series 750 lb with WD and Sway control -sku 49902 -$688 installed
or
eaz-lift elite 600 lb with sway control -sku 48056-$install cost unknown yet

any pros/cons on either of these selections

i concur that the straight square tubs are inflexible
What the heck dealer told you that, or are they talking about generic equalizer hitches? You're in Ontario, give Can-Am Airstream in London, Ontario a call. They (same family) have been in the business for 45 years and are considered probably the best trailer trailer hitch experts in North America. Ask them why they don't use Equal-I-Zer brand hitches, and what they recommend.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 05:36 PM   #42
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
-- snip -- it was AS that insisted that "equalizer hitch with 2 or 4 way sway " be the only add on hitch for WD and Sway control that can be used on an AS. -- snip --
Quite odd. Even more odd, since they said you could use any major brand hitch. Interesting .... Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 06:17 PM   #43
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
I spoke to the service mgr at the dealer. He stated that it was AS that insisted that "equalizer hitch with 2 or 4 way sway " be the only add on hitch for WD and Sway control that can be used on an AS. All other trailers they sell can use any brand. They stated that they would "allow me to use any other leading brand".

thus i am now leaning on either the
reese pro series 750 lb with WD and Sway control -sku 49902 -$688 installed
or
eaz-lift elite 600 lb with sway control -sku 48056-$install cost unknown yet

any pros/cons on either of these selections

i concur that the straight square tubs are inflexible
Equilizer brand hitch or generic equilizer type hitch? What is four way sway?
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 07:37 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat.Mann View Post
Our Equalizer hitch on Sequoia towing 27FB failed within 1 year with major weld breaks - didn't drop anything, but we felt (dealer concurred) we had to replace it because it looked like it was likely to physically come apart. Not aware of anything that would have caused the failure, no warning, just happened to inspect the hitch during hitch-up and notice the weld breaks. Discovered over Xmas-New Years when factory was closed and no interaction possible, had to replace entire assembly at dealer instead of just the main linkage part, over $1,000 to replace including labor to get back on the road.
Have not communicated with factory or sent hitch back for warranty yet because we are on the road and won't be back at base until mid-April.
Our torque wrench tops at 150 ft-lbs, so we don't have capability to check the high torque on some of the hitch bolts (>300 ft-lbs) so can't do that ourselves. Hitch has seemed to work well, replacement is fine so far; don't know why this occurred.
Don't know about the welds breaking, but a bolt can fail from a fatigue break if not tightened properly. (Once had a Husky weld fail on me, warranty replaced.)

If the required bolt torque, is higher than your wrench's range, use a lubricant on both the threads and the face of the nut, and reduce the torque by amounts as below:
-oil, reduce by 20%.
-bearing grease, 30-35%
-Extreme pressure lube such as C-5 colloidal copper, 'Never Seize' or similar, reduce torque by 40%
This will give you about the same bolt tension as dry-torqueing. Why?
(I like the C-5, myself.)
Only 10% of the applied torque is used to actually tighten the bolt; the rest is to overcome friction; 40% on the nut face, 50% on the threads..
BTW Do NOT use dry torques on lubricated bolts; you will pull the thing apart, or strip the threads.
(Source: Premier Fastener Corp. I was once an agent there, in Canada)

One good place to use this information is in tightening the ball on the head.
Many 2-5/8" balls, have 1-1/4" shanks that call for 450 ft. lbs.
My torque wrench only goes to 250, well short of it. So.........
I calculated that 40% of 450=270 ft. lbs., a tad short of the requirement; but at that figure, that ball 'ain't' going nowhere.
(I needed to sit on the ground, with my foot against the rear bumper, to react against me sliding under the Ford, when I pulled that high a torque.)
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 08:33 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
.... Ask them why they don't use Equal-I-Zer brand hitches, and what they recommend.
CAN-AM in London is a 7 hours drive from where i live

I have spoken to CAN-AM. They and another dealer told me to avoid the straight bars as per the comments i made earlier about them. CAN-AM uses the EAZ-lift . it looks similar to the Reese pro model.

so i think that either is good to go with

The service guy that recommends the equal-i-zer drive a 6.2L dually and pulls a triple axle trailer. Thus he told me that he never notices the symptom that others do

my Q5 3L is no match to his TV. Then again my sport 22 is no match to his monster size trailer

that is why i was ask for people to comment so that i can get a better feel with a TV and trailer closer to my size.
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 09:33 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
how to install reece pro hitch sku 49902

this video walks you through the install steps

and this is review of all the parts

Old 03-06-2017, 12:54 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
this video walks you through the install steps

and this is review of all the parts

On my laptop these videos haven been 'disabled' by U-tube! Phooey!
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 10:28 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
i too get "disabled by utube poster" owner. what gives?