Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
What are you using for sway control? 🤔

Shall I guess...3/4 diesel doesn't need it.😂

Bob
🇺🇸
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
May have missed this, but are you using a WDH? If so, have you towed your 28' to the scales and weighed the trailer with truck attached on separate scales, then weighed the trailer without the truck attached, but tongue on separate scale to verify the tongue weight separate from the AS coach weight? Those numbers will give you a pretty good indication on which pressures you want to run in your AS tires, assuming your reading the tire manufacturer recommended PSI? For the GY Endurance tires, we run 45-50PSI as recommended for our AS weight...anything over that can cause stiff ride and issues with your cabinet hinges, cabinet latches, and rivets...just saying...
No WDH. No, I have not been to a CAT scale yet, but I did calculate the loads based on MFR load data and dimensions. I have also weighed the tongue using the old bathroom scale technique, mainly when I was towing the 28 with my SUV. In that case I had to use a WD hitch because my headlights were pointing at the sky. My RAM 2500 drops only 1 1/4 inch with the full tongue weight on the ball, so no need there.

I see your point about the lower tire pressure making for a softer ride, but that's not too good for your tires. I'm probably too tire sensitive after having two wheel wells destroyed. I run mine at the recommended 80 PSI for max load.

out of sight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 01:33 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by out of sight View Post
No WDH. No, I have not been to a CAT scale yet, but I did calculate the loads based on MFR load data and dimensions. I have also weighed the tongue using the old bathroom scale technique, mainly when I was towing the 28 with my SUV. In that case I had to use a WD hitch because my headlights were pointing at the sky. My RAM 2500 drops only 1 1/4 inch with the full tongue weight on the ball, so no need there.

I see your point about the lower tire pressure making for a softer ride, but that's not too good for your tires. I'm probably too tire sensitive after having two wheel wells destroyed. I run mine at the recommended 80 PSI for max load.
Well, with all respect to you, please get yourself a WDH; you should be using a WDH, especially with the larger AS's. It's more for control of both your TV and your AS... you want the weight distribution of the hitch to balance out your load with the Airstream. The vehicle antisway will work in conjunction if needed. Lots of YouTube on this...(and those who disagree for what ever reason, of course..)

Second, don't rely on the "spec sheet" for weights...get your truck/trailer weighed..everyone's truck and AS is different...a few hundred pounds in some cases... That will help with getting pretty accurate tire pressures.

3rd- recommend a TPMS system; it will give you peace of mind knowing the pressures of your AS tire pressures and temps...and warn you of pending issues....as you mentioned, blowouts are a pain to deal with and can be devastating to the undercarriage. Many posts here on the Forum like yours, who now swear by the TPMS.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scale weights.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	355.4 KB
ID:	335413  

Summer in Lincoln, MT- Winter in Austin, TX
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 02:59 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Apollo Beach , Florida
Quote:

Same as others stated above, when 1020# is added my F250 Diesel's ball, 420# comes off my front axle and 1440# is added to my rear axle. The axle weights flip-flop from 4820# front and 3840# rear to 4400# front and 5280# rear.

Then I use a weight distribution hitch to return my axles to an equal front/rear weight of 4760#. Equal weighting my axles works best for my truck, the same as it does for Gypsydad. Here is a link to my scale tickets documenting the above results: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...ml#post2217820 . I'd suggest going to a scale to see what adding your Airstream does to your truck's axle loads.
Sold: 2013 Casita SD17 89 nights 16,200 miles
AirMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 03:05 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Well, with all respect to you, please get yourself a WDH; you should be using a WDH, especially with the larger AS's. It's more for control of both your TV and your AS... you want the weight distribution of the hitch to balance out your load with the Airstream. The vehicle antisway will work in conjunction if needed. Lots of YouTube on this...(and those who disagree for what ever reason, of course..)

Second, don't rely on the "spec sheet" for weights...get your truck/trailer weighed..everyone's truck and AS is different...a few hundred pounds in some cases... That will help with getting pretty accurate tire pressures.

3rd- recommend a TPMS system; it will give you peace of mind knowing the pressures of your AS tire pressures and temps...and warn you of pending issues....as you mentioned, blowouts are a pain to deal with and can be devastating to the undercarriage. Many posts here on the Forum like yours, who now swear by the TPMS.
No WDH for me. That would unbalance my tow vehicle and I would be riding down the street with overloaded front tires and underloaded rear tires. Not a good idea. Not to mention putting unnecessary load on the trailer tires.

I agree 100% with the TPMS however. I just wish Airstream would have supplied the internal sensors. Now I am stuck with external sensors or having to go thru the hassle of pulling all my tires off. Honestly, TPMS should be mandated by law, IMHO (and I'm a Libertarian).
Old 03-11-2019, 03:23 PM   #19
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Quote:
No WDH for me. That would unbalance my tow vehicle and I would be riding down the street with overloaded front tires and underloaded rear tires. Not a good idea. Not to mention putting unnecessary load on the trailer tires.

I agree 100% with the TPMS however. I just wish Airstream would have supplied the internal sensors. Now I am stuck with external sensors or having to go thru the hassle of pulling all my tires off. Honestly, TPMS should be mandated by law, IMHO (and I'm a Libertarian).
And you do have weight tickets substantiate your 'unbalance'?

A 2500 TV being thrown out of 'balance' by an AS with a WD hitch, properly set up is a bit hard to imagine.

Bob
🇺🇸

"The hardest thing about Airstreaming, clearing your head and accepting how others feel itís supposed to be done"Ö..
Amanamus

"Tahawus"
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 03:36 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirMiles View Post
Same as others stated above, when 1020# is added my F250 Diesel's ball, 420# comes off my front axle and 1440# is added to my rear axle. The axle weights flip-flop from 4820# front and 3840# rear to 4400# front and 5280# rear.

Then I use a weight distribution hitch to return my axles to an equal front/rear weight of 4760#. Equal weighting my axles works best for my truck, the same as it does for Gypsydad. Here is a link to my scale tickets documenting the above results: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...ml#post2217820 . I'd suggest going to a scale to see what adding your Airstream does to your truck's axle loads.
You have an F250 which by your numbers has a F/R distribution of 56/44. A Ram 2500 is 62/38 unloaded. A 900 lb ball load, without wdh, brings me to 51/49. almost perfect. But I'm glad you are striving for 50/50, as do I.
Old 03-11-2019, 03:52 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
And you do have weight tickets substantiate your 'unbalance'?

A 2500 TV being thrown out of 'balance' by an AS with a WD hitch, properly set up is a bit hard to imagine.

Bob
🇺🇸
I have not yet been to a scale, but RAM publishes the axle base weights specific to each truck configuration (wheel base, box size, cab configuration and engine/transmission type). Of course it does not take into account every single option that you may have, but it's very close. I have not seen these figures published for Ford or GM. As for the effect of tongue weight you have to measure the distance of the hitch ball to the rear axle. The rest is a simple calculation of a beam with 3 loads and two supports.
Old 03-11-2019, 04:56 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Simply put, the TV front axle should be able to carry its weight. It is very hard to increase the front axle loading with a trailer. I think you are just looking at the situation wrong.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 05:11 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
Simply put, the TV front axle should be able to carry its weight. It is very hard to increase the front axle loading with a trailer. I think you are just looking at the situation wrong.
You should always be within the axle rating. But you should also strive for a 50/50 axle distribution.
Old 03-11-2019, 05:21 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
A combination will tow better with a bit more weight on the rear tires then on the front. The front to rear tire pressure differential on class 2b and higher trucks maintains a positive understeer gradient with higher rear axle loads. If you take notice there are no current class 2a (1/2 ton) trucks that run a front to rear tire pressure differential. Reducing front tire pressure will reduce front tire cornering stiffness and front cornering stiffness is already lower due to low axle weight. They simply canít tolerate lower pressures. My own TV pulls a 28ft TT at 7800lbs 950lbs TW with 4,000 lbs on the front axle and 4,300 on the rear with no WD. With a WDH I only return 80-100lbs to the front axle.
Profxd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 05:32 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
Quote:
I have not yet been to a scale, but RAM publishes the axle base weights specific to each truck configuration (wheel base, box size, cab configuration and engine/transmission type). Of course it does not take into account every single option that you may have, but it's very close. I have not seen these figures published for Ford or GM. As for the effect of tongue weight you have to measure the distance of the hitch ball to the rear axle. The rest is a simple calculation of a beam with 3 loads and two supports.
So, you are saying you calculated how much weight comes OFF your front axles (and is added to your rear axle) when you hitch up your trailer? Others are reporting over 400 lbs., how much did your calculations come to?
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 05:49 PM   #26
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Numbers, numbers, numbers...

Weights don't lie...read 'em & rationalize as you will.🤔
1st TV
2nd rig no WD
3rd rig WD set

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_f68.jpeg
Views:	48
Size:	274.0 KB
ID:	335429   Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_f9d.jpeg
Views:	56
Size:	249.9 KB
ID:	335430  

"The hardest thing about Airstreaming, clearing your head and accepting how others feel itís supposed to be done"Ö..
Amanamus

"Tahawus"
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 06:38 PM   #27
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Your next analysis - betting this trailer had 10-15% tongue weight.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f540...me-192222.html

Pat
PKI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 08:01 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithcreek View Post
So, you are saying you calculated how much weight comes OFF your front axles (and is added to your rear axle) when you hitch up your trailer? Others are reporting over 400 lbs., how much did your calculations come to?
A 900 lb ball load takes 362 lbs off the front axle, based on my wheelbase and distance between the ball and rear axle.