Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-27-2016, 06:22 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane View Post
While we're discussing the relative safety of weight distribution systems and tow vehicles, it's important to note that the death statistics quoted are for motor homes and have no relation to trailers.
The relative safety probably has more to do with driver error than equipment.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 08:35 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyNH View Post
I do not understand the thought process behind this way of thinking....

By this way of thinking, I have installed HD tires on my TV, which are each rated for 2950lbs so therefore I can now ignore the axle rating of 3900 lbs and go with 5900lbs cause my tires are good for it.

When people, who state they are new and not knowledgeable, ask about safety issues and are told they can ignore one rating for another, because "I've never had a problem", when the noob does have a problem the other should be held responsible.

All ratings are given for a reason, and it comes down to the lowest denominator, whichever is the most restrictive is the one that MUST be followed, not ignored because it interferes with what YOU are wanting to do

Andrew, this isn't directed at you, just quoting it as an example, there are plenty other around here stating the same sort of thing.

Sorry, rant over...
People, it is called " Weight Distribution " not " Increased Loading Enhancement Device ". The WD hitch helps with redistributing the concentrated weight of the Tongue to prevent the rear axle from being overloaded.
One should not exceed the overall and individual axle ratings.
This is not complicated.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 10:30 AM   #43
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
St. Louis , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
People, it is called " Weight Distribution " not " Increased Loading Enhancement Device ". The WD hitch helps with redistributing the concentrated weight of the Tongue to prevent the rear axle from being overloaded.
One should not exceed the overall and individual axle ratings.
This is not complicated.
THIS ^ ^ ^

Thanks.
Old 12-28-2016, 06:22 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPRoberts View Post
I agree. The real problem is that any data on which trucks, trailers, hitches, etc. are "safe" is impossible to find - or, when found, is inconclusive.

For example, according to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, fatalities in RV accidents happen at a rate of 0.44 deaths per 100 million passenger miles. This is roughly one third of the rate for all passenger vehicles, which is 1.48 deaths per 100 million passenger miles. In all, RV deaths occur at a rate of 26 fatalities in the US per year.

In other words, when you're out towing your Airstream, you're three times safer than when you're driving without it.

One could draw a number of interesting conclusions from this. First of all, if one particular setup (SUV, 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, etc.) is "safer" than another, how much safer is it? And if you don't really know how much safer it is, how do you know whether it matters or not?

And say, hypothetically, that a certain type of vehicle is three times safer than another. If so, why should you care, since three times safer is still basically just "driving", which you do every day anyway without worrying about it?

And lastly... 26 people a year die in RV accidents. That's really terrible for those people and their families, and anyone else involved in those accidents.

However... that's a really small number. In fact, it's about half the odds of being struck by lightning (51 deaths per year).

So, you shouldn't play golf in a thunderstorm. And you shouldn't tow a huge trailer downhill with a 1987 Yugo. Other than that, we really don't know much, and any internet arguments about the "safety" of one method over the other is baseless and likely irrelevant.
This most likely is due to the fact that when we are towing our expensive AS "Coaches" or SOB, we are extra vigilant.
I for one get into a different driving zone when I tow. I am more relaxed and much more in tune with the road environment. I also slow down considerably.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 06:29 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
I use my Reese duel cam wd hitch to transfer weight to the front axle ,for better handling characteristics and to eliminate any sway... not worried about overloading the rear axle as it is good for 6500 lbs on my 2500 ram
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 12:55 PM   #46
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
"Safe" is about a rig which doesn't move away from centerline due to outside influences, first. Second, it is a rig which is easily corrected should that happen.

The role of weight is a subset of those problems. Mistaken by many, if not most, into believing it fundamental.

It isn't.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 09:05 AM   #47
4 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I know this is an old thread but I thought I would ask a question. My TV is a 3/4 ton F250 4x4 diesel (2005) long bed. I am towing a 2017 28' International Serenity. I am using an equalizer wd hitch 12,000 lb with 1,200 lb bars. I recently had my hitched and fully loaded weight taken at a CAT scale. I had 4600 Steer Axle, 5060 Drive Axle and 6600 Trailer Axle. total weight of the rig 16,260. I didn't get an unhitched weight. Steering feels very good and towing with this distribution has been excellent. Are these weights about right or do I need to tweak them? Thanks
VaTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 12:09 PM   #48
4 Rivet Member

Dayton , OH, 2017 33' Classic 8,561 dry
You should good if 4600 roughly replaced your unloaded steer axle weight. And if your tongue weight is in the 10 to 15 percent of gross trailer weight range.

When using a WDH you find tongue weight by subtracting your unloaded combined axle weight from your loaded combined axle weight. You find tongue weight percentage by dividing tongue weight by gross trailer weight.
Transportr AS & TT Mfg 2 dealr RAM ED factory brake controller tow mirror hitch camera & receiver 1,290/12k, No sway WDH, Adj. hitch, axle 2 frame air bags, tune w turbo brake, SLT Grill, 31.9" load tires, Max ED tow 9,200, GCAR 7,800, Max Ram 1500 GCVW 15,950, truck hitches steer 3,240 drive 2,560
VernDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 05:19 AM   #49
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTravelers View Post
I know this is an old thread but I thought I would ask a question. My TV is a 3/4 ton F250 4x4 diesel (2005) long bed. I am towing a 2017 28' International Serenity. I am using an equalizer wd hitch 12,000 lb with 1,200 lb bars. I recently had my hitched and fully loaded weight taken at a CAT scale. I had 4600 Steer Axle, 5060 Drive Axle and 6600 Trailer Axle. total weight of the rig 16,260. I didn't get an unhitched weight. Steering feels very good and towing with this distribution has been excellent. Are these weights about right or do I need to tweak them? Thanks
You need that missing ticket...🤓 It will provide the baseline target FAW.

We are fine at 100lb light.

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_2577.jpeg
Views:	65
Size:	586.7 KB
ID:	349196   Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1ca4.jpeg
Views:	63
Size:	559.7 KB
ID:	349197  

Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1ca8.jpeg
Views:	64
Size:	569.4 KB
ID:	349198   Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1cac.jpeg
Views:	60
Size:	561.4 KB
ID:	349199  

Old 04-19-2023, 03:51 AM   #50
2 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Burlington , Ontario
Once again unto the breach!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPRoberts View Post
I'm a noob who just started reading about weight distribution, and I'm confused about how WD hitches relate (or don't relate) to a TV's payload rating.

Hypothetically, let's say I have a truck with a payload rating of 1500 lbs. Let's say I also have a trailer with a tongue weight of 1000 lbs.

Some people on this forum have said that if you factor in the tongue weight, that would leave you with 500 lbs of payload for passengers and cargo.

However, I've seen other people say that a weight distribution hitch will move some of the weight (perhaps a third) back to the trailer. Therefore, the "real" tongue weight is something like 700 lbs on the TV (with 300 lbs going to the trailer). This leaves you with 800 lbs of payload capacity in the TV remaining for passengers and cargo.

Which one of these is correct, and why? I've seen many people post both responses, and both have passed without rebuttal or correction by others. They can't both be true.
Hi.
This is straight from the Airstream Manual:

"When a trailer is hitched up properly to a tow vehicle, with a load-equalizing hitch, approximately 1/3 of the trailer's tongue weight will be on the trailer's axles and 2/3 will be transferred to the tow vehicle. 1/3 of this weight transfer will be carried by the front wheels and 1/3 by the rear wheels of the tow vehicle. Thus, the tire loading of each wheel on the tow vehicle will be increased by 1/6 of the trailer's tongue weight."

Why on earth would they create a weight-distribution hitch . . . that doesn't actually distribute the weight!!?

Here's a plug: Call Joe Curry or Andy Thomson at CanAm RV. They have received many awards from Airstream and are considered Towing Experts.
I could explain to you exactly what to do but it would take quite a long time. Check with Joe or Andy; what can it hurt?
Cheers Paul
director14 is offline   Reply With Quote