Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2017, 05:53 AM   #261
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
Because an F550 won't fit in my garage ☺
Question for you Ford Deisel guys. Can't you still get the old (very reliable) 7.3 diesel, if you get a big enough truck? Like the F-450. (If there is one.) I've heard a lot of good things about that engine. Thx

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 07:18 AM   #262
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway View Post
Question for you Ford Deisel guys. Can't you still get the old (very reliable) 7.3 diesel, if you get a big enough truck? Like the F-450. (If there is one.) I've heard a lot of good things about that engine. Thx
Not after 2003 or so.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 07:30 AM   #263
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
After 2003 was still available for a while in other countries like Austraila but Ford ended relations with International Harvester's Navistar division in 2010 when they began producing their own Powerstroke engine for the first time, the 6.7L "Scorpion". Not sure if Navistar still makes the 7.3 for export but it's just too dirty for today's emissions standards. I believe it was still available for a few years after 2003 in the F650/F750.
ITSNO60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 08:37 PM   #264
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSNO60 View Post
That is very interesting Frank, but to confuse matters I found this towing information for my 2002 F-350. Note the weight capacities for WD and non WD, a huge difference. (the lower part of the chart is for receiver hitches). I've included a link to the document for reference.

http://hillerford.com/v2/resource_li...sdtowframe.htm
That was a good read actually. There is loads of great information that should be included in the owners manual in every pick up today.

However some things you just have to figure out for yourself.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 05:37 AM   #265
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:
After 2003 was still available for a while in other countries like Austraila but Ford ended relations with International Harvester's Navistar division in 2010 when they began producing their own Powerstroke engine for the first time, the 6.7L "Scorpion". Not sure if Navistar still makes the 7.3 for export but it's just too dirty for today's emissions standards. I believe it was still available for a few years after 2003 in the F650/F750.
Thanks. My brother has one in his 2000 F250. I thought he said it was still available, but you had to go to a larger truck. He must have received some bad info.

Old 07-23-2017, 12:14 PM   #266
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
I know some of the long time regulars around here might get tired of this stuff getting re-hashed over and over again but it is very helpful and appreciated by us newbies. I am trying to use this thread to keep learning instead of starting a new one. I have found some older towing threads and bookmarked them as well, and am reading and re-reading them but new information and new equipment and vehicles are always popping up. Plus I am the type that needs to read stuff over and over before the light bulb in my head finally lights up.

My brother in law always said he would never have a bumper pull due to all the wrecks he has seen. After all I have learned here I firmly believe that the reason for this is that the majority of bumper pull setups are not properly set up, or not optimized, and the owners do not know enough to realize this.

So even if some of you get tired of this, you are helping to make everyone safer and I'll speak on behalf of all the newbies in sending out a big thank you to all of you, and if there are some towing stickies or links I missed I would appreciate knowing about them.

Happy Trails!!!

Brian
Old 07-23-2017, 01:52 PM   #267
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Old technology, low power, weak transmissions compared to the new ones....would be like going back to the old carburetor from fuel injection...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 05:53 PM   #268
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
I know some of the long time regulars around here might get tired of this stuff getting re-hashed over and over again but it is very helpful and appreciated by us newbies. I am trying to use this thread to keep learning instead of starting a new one. I have found some older towing threads and bookmarked them as well, and am reading and re-reading them but new information and new equipment and vehicles are always popping up. Plus I am the type that needs to read stuff over and over before the light bulb in my head finally lights up.

My brother in law always said he would never have a bumper pull due to all the wrecks he has seen. After all I have learned here I firmly believe that the reason for this is that the majority of bumper pull setups are not properly set up, or not optimized, and the owners do not know enough to realize this.

So even if some of you get tired of this, you are helping to make everyone safer and I'll speak on behalf of all the newbies in sending out a big thank you to all of you, and if there are some towing stickies or links I missed I would appreciate knowing about them.

Happy Trails!!!

Brian
5er hitches are great, but it's the trailers attached that are an abomination. Plus one is stuck with a pickup. Even as simple as that type is to dial in on a scale, it's apparently common to be "over" on truck capability.

The best education is to read all that can be found by Andrew Thomson. The Hitch Hints column, web site resources at Can Am RV, and posts here. He and his Dad systematized what the rest of us had to learn thru trial and error outside general guidelines. It's not that there weren't magazine articles and some books on trailer towing in the 1960s and 1970s, it's that details and insights might go missing.

Fred Puhn on vehicle handling is a good laymans book.

It's said 90% of conventionally-hitched rigs (a generous number) are incorrectly done. The art is in the details once past vehicle specification. Those details can mainly be ascertained by scale numbers.

And an expert eye to look it over. Call Thomson. Pics and tickets.

Another thread is, Took a Trip to the CAT Scale

Old 07-23-2017, 06:07 PM   #269
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
See

Visited CAT Scale . . The numbers are in

Phbarnharts thread on a CAT Scale.

Others too numerous.

Rough it in at home (using Andy's guidelines from 11/14 Hitch Hints)
And then off to scale to tune.
Old 07-23-2017, 06:33 PM   #270
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
See

Visited CAT Scale . . The numbers are in

Phbarnharts thread on a CAT Scale.

Others too numerous.

Rough it in at home (using Andy's guidelines from 11/14 Hitch Hints)
And then off to scale to tune.
Old 07-23-2017, 07:06 PM   #271
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
Because an F550 won't fit in my garage ☺

Lol
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 06:27 AM   #272
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
Old technology, low power, weak transmissions compared to the new ones....would be like going back to the old carburetor from fuel injection...
I don't think they've ever had to remove his truck body though..
But he is on his third transmission. (300,000+ miles)
From what I've read the 7.3 was a pretty good engine. His is chipped. He gets pretty good mpg, and has plenty of power.

Old 07-24-2017, 07:10 AM   #273
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
The 7.3 is one of the best engines ever made. Yes the 4R100 tranny is the weak point on the 99-03 but there are now many options for a stout replacement, even Ford now offers the 4R100HD. There are an impressive number of 7.3s out there with 1,000,000 plus miles on them. I will keep mine as long as I can, it is the best truck I have ever had and continues to serve us safely, reliably and very comfortably. It has never had a chip or tuner but so far no shortage of power for me.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:27 PM   #274
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
5er hitches are great, but it's the trailers attached that are an abomination. Plus one is stuck with a pickup. Even as simple as that type is to dial in on a scale, it's apparently common to be "over" on truck capability.

The best education is to read all that can be found by Andrew Thomson. The Hitch Hints column, web site resources at Can Am RV, and posts here. He and his Dad systematized what the rest of us had to learn thru trial and error outside general guidelines. It's not that there weren't magazine articles and some books on trailer towing in the 1960s and 1970s, it's that details and insights might go missing.

Fred Puhn on vehicle handling is a good laymans book.

It's said 90% of conventionally-hitched rigs (a generous number) are incorrectly done. The art is in the details once past vehicle specification. Those details can mainly be ascertained by scale numbers.

And an expert eye to look it over. Call Thomson. Pics and tickets.

Another thread is, Took a Trip to the CAT Scale

Thanks, I am reading Andrew Thompson's writings now. Very eye opening. The center of gravity issue is something I had not given much thought to. Yet I see guys with "lifted" trucks and SUVs towing trailers. Bad enough my F-350 sits as high as it does stock, although hopefully the weight of it helps a bit in keeping the shiny side up. I have considered removing the 4" factory blocks and putting in the 2" ones that were used on the F-250s. I ended up with the F-350 because I couldn't find a nicer F-250 when I was shopping used.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:17 AM   #275
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
I've seen a guy towin with a 'lifted' truck.... who was it.... oh yeah, it was me!

My Ram has a power wagon package cause I spend a lot of time in the backcountry on rutted, muddy, rocky roads. That means its got 3ish inches of lift.

It tows pretty good. It was a little bouncy when I first set up the wd hitch but after goin to the scales and adjustin it a bit, it's pretty nice. So, I guess it's true about the details being worked out at the scales.

I may visit these can am folks after my trip to JC this fall, cause I'm always interested in seeing what the experts say and people seem to really like these guys. Maybe after I visit them I can offer some advice to folks that need the ground clearance like I do.
TravlinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 07:44 AM   #276
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
High enter of gravity doesn't make much difference going straight down the roadway, looks good, feels good. Then you have to change directions. Quickly.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 07:59 AM   #277
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
High enter of gravity doesn't make much difference going straight down the roadway, looks good, feels good. Then you have to change directions. Quickly.
Actually, if all you're doin is goin straight down the road, ground clearance ain't necessary.

But if you're set up right, ya can have a vehicle with clearance suitable for off road that still tows well. After 8000 miles of towin with this setup, I've had to make a lotta quick lane changes, swerves to avoid obstacles and last minute turns and all have been done with ease. It drives great on the road and great on the trails too. Personally, I think the way it looks shouldn't matter, it's whether or not it can do what I need it to.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:27 AM   #278
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravlinMan View Post
Actually, if all you're doin is goin straight down the road, ground clearance ain't necessary.

But if you're set up right, ya can have a vehicle with clearance suitable for off road that still tows well. After 8000 miles of towin with this setup, I've had to make a lotta quick lane changes, swerves to avoid obstacles and last minute turns and all have been done with ease. It drives great on the road and great on the trails too. Personally, I think the way it looks shouldn't matter, it's whether or not it can do what I need it to.
Hi

Last week, the car in front of me dropped the entire rear assembly (bumper, lights, quarter panels ...) off of his car. Thank goodness he was in the next lane over. Had he not been I would have either had to test the "fast maneuver" capability at 60 MPH or relied on ground clearance .... All that while going down a straight road.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 08:42 AM   #279
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Ha! Wow.

Yup I've had some pretty weird things drop in front of me and I have had to test the quick swerve. Luckily, it's not as bad as I woulda thought but it ain't fun anyways.

But that goes to show ya how important keepin a safe distance is. If you're ridin someone's rear, it ain't gonna matter what fancy equipment ya have when their entire rear assembly falls off right in front of ya at 60mph! I always try to keep a lotta room between me and the next guy, no matter how many folks keep tryin to fill the gap.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:46 AM   #280
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

I'm *still* trying to figure out how he dropped the whole thing off like that. I can't say I spent a lot of time studying the assembly or the back of his car. I was more concerned with making sure I stayed clear of each of them. Some day I may rig a camera so I can become a YouTube star with this stuff

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote