Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-15-2017, 07:16 PM   #121
2 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAtraveler View Post
......... From an environmental standpoint, these HD tow vehicles, especially the diesels, are a pollution disaster. New technologies hold the prospect of making these high consuming fossil fueled HD vehicles obsolete, the sooner the better........
Did you include this little tidbit of "truth" because it's your honest opinion based on your expert opinion, or is there some other factor set that we're really ignorant about?

Pot, meet kettle.....

Have you done any research into the reduction of pollution in the US over the last 20 or so years? I'd also like to find out what your expert opinion is about what the I/C tow vehicles are to be replaced with?

Just curious.

Kent
Houston
Kent M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 07:34 PM   #122
2 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
That simply isn't true. Yes, there is ammonia and water vapour emitted as a result of the SCR, but also a host of harmful substances, including carcinogens and smog creating NOx.

Not sure what you mean by "SCR", but the diesel exhaust fluid (DEF) in newer diesel Fords is included in the diesel system SPECIFICALLY to scrub the NOx. It's been used in combustion turbine applications for years for exactly the same reason, as I recall.....

Kent
Houston
Old 06-15-2017, 09:27 PM   #123

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMarshall View Post
Not sure what you mean by "SCR", but the diesel exhaust fluid (DEF) in newer diesel Fords is included in the diesel system SPECIFICALLY to scrub the NOx. It's been used in combustion turbine applications for years for exactly the same reason, as I recall.....

Kent
Houston
SCR = selective catalytic reduction = the system that uses DEF

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 11:53 PM   #124
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:

Kent
Houston
David clarified what SCR is above.

The SCR system (using DEF) certainly does reduce the levels of NOx. There have been great advances in that area over the past few years. It doesn't eliminate NOx, however, even when working at peak efficiency. It also doesn't work all the time, under all operating conditions. Note the reductions in efficacy at engine start up, at higher temperatures, and so on. Also, as real world testing has shown in numerous examples, some vehicles aren't anywhere near as clean over the road as they are on the dyno, with up to 7 times measured pollutants being emitted.

Then, think about all of the harmful substances coming out of the tailpipe other than NOx.

The original claim was that it was essentially water (and ammonia) coming out the tailpipe. If you want just water coming out the tailpipe look for a hydrogen fueled vehicle.

Even a "clean" diesel is a long way from being clean compared to a gasoline engine, or an alternate fuel vehicle. It is certainly clean, or cleaner, compared to older technology diesels, which is a feat in and of itself. Some posters above appear to believe that a clean diesel is a literal description.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 12:26 AM   #125
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
I'd also like to find out what your expert opinion is about what the I/C tow vehicles are to be replaced with?

Just curious.

Kent
Houston
Don't know about USAtraveler, but here is a scenario for you, looking a little broader than just tow vehicles.

Reduction in use of diesel for lighter duty vehicles. Continued use of diesel for heavier duty vehicles. Lighter includes passenger vehicles. Heavier includes large trucks. You can decide where to draw the dividing line between the two applications depending on your thoughts on how fast it will come. Regardless, look for more restrictions on where and when diesels can operate, ie city limitations on diesel truck operation.

More diesel electric hybrids, especially in heavier trucks.

Increased use of alternate fuels (natural gas in particular, until the price goes up). Spark ignited CNG for lighter duty vehicles, and heavier duty vehicles with sufficient real estate available for fuel storage, or those applications with return to base route profiles. LNG for heavier duty vehicles (spark ignited plus Westport or similar diesel dual fuel technology) and where fuel storage density is important (considering the balance of space limitations and range requirements). See Volvo/KW/Caterpillar/EMD/etc projects.

Steady move towards electric power as replacement for IC. The IC will be around for quite a while, but eventually will be in the same category as kerosene lanterns are today. Interesting relics.

And any of the above can use weight distributing equipment when towing.

Note: For a look at what future tow vehicles may look like, see ohmman's threads on towing with his Tesla. Best info out there IMO.

Jeff
(Who doesn't claim to be an expert)
(But who spent a long career in the heavy duty diesel (and natural gas) engine business - the yellow ones from Peoria)
(And a shorter career in the alternate fuel heavy vehicle engine business leading engineering development of on board fuel storage, LNG and CNG)
Old 06-16-2017, 05:37 AM   #126
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Yep, I run them yellow ones for 52 years, best engines ever built, the 1693's to the 3606E's......I know how dirty they were....a fun ride...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 07:01 AM   #127
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

What a shame that all this really good knowledge (and reasoned debate) will now be buried deep in in a thread on a completely different topic.....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 08:43 AM   #128
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by james.mileur View Post
Interesting the range of Google articles on Diesel vs. Gas. More smog or more CO2 and this one claimed gas spewed more particulate than new diesels. Ah, the wonder of it all.
http://achatespower.com/are-diesels-...oline-engines/

10 years ago there was a great article in the Scientific American (a liberal leaning publication) regarding the future development on how we use energy. For transportation they advocated the further development of the Diesel engine noting that it was already more efficient in utilizing energy and held out the potential for becoming cleaner than gasoline, citing the same qualities that is supported by more recent research.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 09:29 AM   #129
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

What a shame that all this really good knowledge (and reasoned debate) will now be buried deep in in a thread on a completely different topic.....

Bob

Sadly, that is the eventual end state of every thread on this topic. To find the gold, usually one must get out a shovel and look at the first page or two of responses.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 09:59 AM   #130
2 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
SCR = selective catalytic reduction = the system that uses DEF
Thanks. I thought that was what it was, but thought it interesting that the description of the present status of the world was slightly represented in opposition.....

Learn something new every day.

Kent
Houston
Old 06-16-2017, 10:23 AM   #131
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
10 years ago there was a great article in the Scientific American (a liberal leaning publication) regarding the future development on how we use energy. For transportation they advocated the further development of the Diesel engine noting that it was already more efficient in utilizing energy and held out the potential for becoming cleaner than gasoline, citing the same qualities that is supported by more recent research.
https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...n-future-2006/

I didn't read that conclusion in the linked article.

Ten to twenty years ago, European regulators also went with rules favouring diesels, due to better fuel efficiencies. That is now changing when they see the negative impacts on air quality and human health associated with diesel exhaust. Hence the current discussion.

Also, if you want to pick winners in a race, would you place your bet now, or ten years prior? Lots of change happening.

Jeff
Old 06-16-2017, 02:32 PM   #132
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Sandy , Utah
I am not going to take sides here. I am just going to give you some real world observations from a non-engineer. I have a 2015 25Fb. I use a Blue Ox Sway pro. My first TV was a 2015 Audi Q7 TDI. The power and feel were great but the AS pushed the Audi around quite a bit. My 2nd TV was a 2016 Silverado Crew 4X4. Gross Vehicle Weight Rating on the door sticker was 7200 lbs. I took the Chevy to the scale and weighed it with a full tank of gas, bed cover, myself and about 150 lbs of gear. 6240 lbs. Add the tongue weight (as measured with a tongue weight scale), 890 lbs plus two generators, two 5 gal cans of gas, BBQ, fire ring, lawn chairs and tools plus my better half and total was 7,630 lbs. Make your own conclusions. I was told that to be safe you need a margin of 10% in capacity. I now have a 3500 Duramax and feel safe.
rocco52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 07:40 AM   #133
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
We get insulted on this forum all the time, consider it a complement and encouragement.

Listening to the clueless is pretty funny

Funnier yet is ignorance of the basic physics in re vehicles. Clear that up and there might be a point to some differences.

The tow vehicle I'm sitting in at present weighs 19,000-lbs solo. Anyone care to bet whether it's more stable than a Dodge Charger?

Or that it can stop faster because the brakes are larger?

I know, it's better because it has a diesel! And an engine brake!!
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 07:42 AM   #134
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
What did they tow 34' Avions with when 34' Avions were new? And more relevant to the thread, did they use weight distribution hitches?

Don't bother. Doesn't know.
Old 06-17-2017, 08:16 AM   #135
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocco52 View Post
I am not going to take sides here. I am just going to give you some real world observations from a non-engineer. I have a 2015 25Fb. I use a Blue Ox Sway pro. My first TV was a 2015 Audi Q7 TDI. The power and feel were great but the AS pushed the Audi around quite a bit. My 2nd TV was a 2016 Silverado Crew 4X4. Gross Vehicle Weight Rating on the door sticker was 7200 lbs. I took the Chevy to the scale and weighed it with a full tank of gas, bed cover, myself and about 150 lbs of gear. 6240 lbs. Add the tongue weight (as measured with a tongue weight scale), 890 lbs plus two generators, two 5 gal cans of gas, BBQ, fire ring, lawn chairs and tools plus my better half and total was 7,630 lbs. Make your own conclusions. I was told that to be safe you need a margin of 10% in capacity. I now have a 3500 Duramax and feel safe.
As they say the proof is in the ......:-).
I make a bet that no one participating in this forum will see the diesel replaced with electric in their lifetime.

Didn't you read the post where you could have saved all that money you spent on buying a environment destructive humongous diesel 1 ton, kept towing with your Audi by simply buying a more expensive hitch. The wastefulness of it all. :-)
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 08:34 AM   #136
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I think the only way you can determine whether you need WD or not is to take your rig to the scales.

I have a 2004 Duramax and love the power. That said, I would also tow with about anything that Andy Thomson set up.

I took a quick stop at the scales heading out to our most recent trip. I have a Hensley (my second one - and I am committed). We packed pretty full for a dry camping trip to Shenandoah. Full Water (53gals), empty waste tanks and all regular stuff. Since I have a 30' Signature, I have been cranking up the jacks to the highest mark.

First pass - WD set:

Steer 4129 Drive 4080 Trailer 7340 Total 15540

Second pass: - WD relaxed

Steer 3800 Drive 4500 Trailer 7240 Total 15540.

To me, this says that, even though I have a big, honkin' 3/4 ton truck, I need WD for the best setup. Additionally, it tells me that I can loosen up a notch so a little less load is transferred to the steer axle, and this should make the lashup a little more gentle on my rig.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 09:06 AM   #137
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
As a followup for those not familiar:

Still want the solo weight, same day, Pat. See Three Pass Method by Ron Gratz I linked over here in 2010 or so.

I like "zero" as my Steer starting point. Same Steer Axle solo or loaded, WD tensioned.

It's the "best" point to get individual wheel loads on the TV. Whichever tire has highest load on an axle, that's the pressure minimum.

And getting weights on TT is good also. TT will always favor (pull towards) heaviest side. Hopefully (usually ) it's curb side. Main thing is axle equalization: no real difference in load per trailer axle. That's how to define "level".

With TT tires to sidewall max, the experimentation with TV tire pressure range is easier to feel.

There's a minimum, and there's a range of "best"

CapriRacer recommends 1.5-hrs steady state driving for full warm up. With an easy as possible stop in a rest area, check for pressure rise of 5-7%.

Much more than that needs more air. I use 5-lbs with LT E-rate. Find the minimum. Then changes are easy.

Try it at "zero" first. Then change WD settings. Get tire pressure squared away earliest.

If you run TT tires lower, leave that till last.

If you aren't running KONI or Bilstein shocks, it's worth the change.

Same for replacement polyurethane bushings on anti-roll bars.

And I'm guessing you avoided the cracked GM hitch receiver problem of that era.

Good luck.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:08 AM   #138
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vintage Kin Owner
Sonoma Co. , California
Quote:
Did you include this little tidbit of "truth" because it's your honest opinion based on your expert opinion, or is there some other factor set that we're really ignorant about?

Pot, meet kettle.....

Have you done any research into the reduction of pollution in the US over the last 20 or so years? I'd also like to find out what your expert opinion is about what the I/C tow vehicles are to be replaced with?

Just curious. Kent Houston
To answer you: (1) Yes. Don't know the extent of your ignorance, so can't answer other factors. (2) Yes. (3) Not in your lifetime.
USAtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 03:20 AM   #139
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclemore View Post
I think the only way you can determine whether you need WD or not is to take your rig to the scales.

I have a 2004 Duramax and love the power. That said, I would also tow with about anything that Andy Thomson set up.

I took a quick stop at the scales heading out to our most recent trip. I have a Hensley (my second one - and I am committed). We packed pretty full for a dry camping trip to Shenandoah. Full Water (53gals), empty waste tanks and all regular stuff. Since I have a 30' Signature, I have been cranking up the jacks to the highest mark.

First pass - WD set:

Steer 4129 Drive 4080 Trailer 7340 Total 15540

Second pass: - WD relaxed

Steer 3800 Drive 4500 Trailer 7240 Total 15540.

To me, this says that, even though I have a big, honkin' 3/4 ton truck, I need WD for the best setup. Additionally, it tells me that I can loosen up a notch so a little less load is transferred to the steer axle, and this should make the lashup a little more gentle on my rig.

Pat
Yeah, but 3800 lbs on the steer tires vs 4129 I doubt makes much difference. Either way is probably fine.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 05:42 AM   #140
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
I like this, gas VS diesel...I haven't seen big gas engines in big trucks pulling trailers lately like in almost 50 years, because of efficiency, no gas engines on the market, that I know of, in the pickups can compare with the diesel with hp,torque ,mileage and they now have an engine exhaust brake.....
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote