Old 07-06-2017, 05:32 PM   #197
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
That is simply boastful rhetoric creating false expectations of a piece of simple equipment without the ability to generate force to counter the weight of a trailer. There are conditions where a trailer can completely get out of control without ever settling into a sway. I guarantee you that I can make a trailer sway with a Pro Pride or a Hensley.
This entire discussion about sway is overblown. Every type of vehicle has some sway most of the time. Just watch the semis.
I'll take the bet. I put my rig thru maneuvers you wouldn't dare after having bought a Hensley. Can no more shake the trailer out of alignment than you can lose your shadow. Can't wait to see the video of your test.

When sway starts: jam the throttle flat and nail the trailer brake controller as hard as can be. There's not a millisecond to lose.

Big truck is little different. We use what is commonly called a "trolley brake". A lever on the steering column.

TV ABS and antisway are nice. But the trailer brakes must be wired to accommodate left-right. Not all are.

The TUSON module was expertly reviewed here by Andy_T.

(Kent Sunderland a nice guy, but lacks in tech department. His review is good, but not expert).

The device is nice. Belt and suspenders to a VPP hitch.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 08:48 PM   #198
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
I wonder what the engine torque, how many transmission speeds, rear axle ratio, and load capacity of a 1987 Suburban 3/4 ton was 30 years ago, compared to a typical Airstream tow vehicle of today.
My father had a 1987 2WD 3/4T. Rear axle may have been 6k. So I had about fifteen years of his experience and mine. He ran it to about 190,000-miles before retiring from travelling at age 75. Same age as my grandfather when he parked his Streamline 31-years earlier.

The Suburban could no longer be had in half-ton with 454 that everyone wanted. It was the first year for TBI which was great, but the cam profile was such that the TQ peak was artificially low. I've only had one other vehicle that ran hotter.

Had a custom 5-row radiator built, a custom water pump, improved exhaust, big plate& fin trans cooler (came stock with oil cooler so you know Chevy was worried about it), custom fan shroud and earlier HD fan, etc. Nothing much helped. I went back into it and used a Cloyes Tru-Roller timing chain and indexed the camshaft. This didn't help greatly, but with all the mods it became acceptable.

Changed it over to 10W-50 synthetic and cut oil consumption to about 500/miles quart. Was a decent motor after the above.

Dad drove 55-57/mph. Averaged 7-8/mpg. 40-gal gas tank. With his 28' Silver Streak the combined rig was under 15,000-lbs. Dual Cam, the family standard since 1965 or so.

3.54 gears. Turbo-400. Firestone tires. Good off the line but no real power. Adequate otherwise.

His 1976 Cadillac was the better vehicle.

My folks enjoyed it for full-timing. Lots of space. Dual air conditioners.

Rolled in mid-air after hitting a 25' 6x6 laying athwart IH25 south of Walsenberg, CO. Dad almost missed that piece of dunnage. Just couldn't move that boat fast enough. It caught under the right rear as he moved to the left lane and lodged under the TT. Which went over portside and the propane tanks exploded. Good thing the hitch broke, huh? Launched that Suburban into a mid air roll and it landed on all four wheels. Trailer destroyed.

Three separate witnesses. Highway patrol was skeptical of my old man until two others showed the officers the dunnage it had taken both of them to drag away from the lane. He apologized.

High center of gravity = No good. Slow to steer, same. Lack of (not yet available) VPP hitch, same. Etc.

Run down the list of what comprises the best TV. Understand "why".

Basics matter.

With that Cadillac, it would have been a lot less dramatic as he'd have cleared the obstacle. Right over a ridegeline and there it was.

My father was good behind the wheel. One of the best I've ever seen. I don't remember any citations. Started driving in 1939. When senile dementia caught hold of him a lifetime of deep understanding of the rules of the road was such that the local DPS failed to flunk his driving exam. Even a supervisor from Austin was unable. We finally hid the keys and sold the car. M

Want to know why so many old people are bad drivers? Simple. They never acquired good habits, much less a theoretical understanding of the rules.

We travelled the US, Canada and Mexico as I was growing up. Watched the Interstates get built. Travelled 3-4 weeks st a time. I'd seen 46 of the 48 before high school finished.

I tell that next to last part because it wasn't "skill" that mattered in that accident. Probably saved their lives (fast move, but not too fast), but that inferior equipment was decisive in not avoiding the thing in the first place.

Luck has its place. Best we prepare all we can for it's hoped arrival.

Dad (being Dad) rebuilt that Suburban, got an identical Silver Streak, and they kept on. (Hard to screw with a war vet).

My folks are gone now, but the open road, the smell of coffee percolating in the morning, and the creaks of a Silver Streaks skin in the morning sun, all are reminders of times past.

You get one chance on the highway.

Old 07-06-2017, 11:32 PM   #199
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG team View Post
Could you resend a link to Gratz three pass method.
Thanks
See the thread (and links) from a 2012 thread:

"CAT Scale Results .. your thoughts"

Old 07-07-2017, 05:28 AM   #200
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Thank you for the detailed posts and fine remembrances of your family's AS history. Well said indeed.

Here is the link to that thread: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...hts-87964.html

Happy Trails.

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 07:03 PM   #201
Rivet Master

1996 25' Excella
Tillsonburg , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
With the eazlift you should use two antisway bars on a 25 or larger AS.
That's what CanAM suggested for my eaz-lift. I don't see much difference in make up between this hitch and the one I had on the '89. The '96 is a bit heavier and does some swaying in the wind. I had a single bar on my '89; same TV and I did go through an emergency maneuver with that rig. I had noted to Andy that my trailer was quite stable and I had no sway issues. He commented that it would be fine until I had an emergency then I would be glad I had it so I installed one. Ultimately glad I did.
I am about to embark on a 5 week run and if I find the single is not working I'll add a second while on the road.
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 08:22 PM   #202
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
-- snip -- the smell of coffee -- snip -- reminders of times past. -- snip --.
It is amazing the memories that the smell of coffee triggers.

Thanks for the history. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 08:39 PM   #203
Rivet Master

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Weight distribution and anti sway equipment?

I love these threads.

No, seriously. I actually learn a lot from reading the different points of view.

I'm not sure if I'll ever run into any of y'all on the road, but I'd buy any of you guys a beer.

Rich

PS On topic comment: My PP hitch had been the best thing I've ever bought. Three years almost, extended travel; still have clean underwear.

“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Llando88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 08:44 PM   #204
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
It is amazing the memories that the smell of coffee triggers.

Thanks for the history. Pat

Not to take another topic off track - but I so agree - my dad worked at a bookstore on the weekends and took one of his kids with him to be his "gopher" during the day. When I was his "gopher", we'd start at Jack's coffee shop for breakfast before starting the day at the bookstore. He'd always get the "bottomless" cup of coffee for 25 cents.....I'll never forget those mornings...has nothing to do with camping (which he'd have hated) or Airstreams (which would have been of no interest and always out of reach for him) - but I'm with you on the memories...my dad died at 59 which is way too young. I often wonder what he'd think of my DW and I galavanting in our AS.... cheers, Leo!
SteveSueMac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 01:29 AM   #205
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vintage Kin Owner
Sonoma Co. , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCWDCW View Post
That's what CanAM suggested for my eaz-lift. I don't see much difference in make up between this hitch and the one I had on the '89. The '96 is a bit heavier and does some swaying in the wind. I had a single bar on my '89; same TV and I did go through an emergency maneuver with that rig. I had noted to Andy that my trailer was quite stable and I had no sway issues. He commented that it would be fine until I had an emergency then I would be glad I had it so I installed one. Ultimately glad I did.
I am about to embark on a 5 week run and if I find the single is not working I'll add a second while on the road.JCW
You may want to watch this YouTube vid:

USAtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 03:28 AM   #206
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I like the idea.
How much?
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 03:51 AM   #207
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Great video thanks!
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 07:50 AM   #208
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
See the thread, "Trailer Sway Control Module" from 2014.

A VPP hitch and the above is belt & suspenders.
Old 07-08-2017, 07:14 PM   #209
3 Rivet Member

Northville , Michigan
By itself, I can see this putting a pretty big hit on gas mileage on a windy day. The other thing, for me, is it is electronic. I worked with computers for my entire career, it seemed like they always had problems at the worst possible time. Memory card fried just as we were doing year end closing, etc. And you may not know it failed when you need it.

With that said, I wonder how often it would actually activate if paired with a VPP hitch.
Old 07-09-2017, 10:36 AM   #210
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
I'll take the bet. I put my rig thru maneuvers you wouldn't dare after having bought a Hensley. Can no more shake the trailer out of alignment than you can lose your shadow. Can't wait to see the video of your test.

When sway starts: jam the throttle flat and nail the trailer brake controller as hard as can be. There's not a millisecond to lose.

Big truck is little different. We use what is commonly called a "trolley brake". A lever on the steering column.

TV ABS and antisway are nice. But the trailer brakes must be wired to accommodate left-right. Not all are.

The TUSON module was expertly reviewed here by Andy_T.

(Kent Sunderland a nice guy, but lacks in tech department. His review is good, but not expert).

The device is nice. Belt and suspenders to a VPP hitch.
Human nature being what it is we always have to justify our decisions and defend it to the death. History if full of examples of if going back to the beginning of time.

franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote