Old 05-13-2015, 08:42 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Hi LolaT, glad you found airforums!!I enjoyed the thread in the LR forum!

I have the Equal-i-zer Sway control WD hitch as it is light and easy to set up. The noise is only present at low speed tight turns, more importantly, when you back up, you have to release the friction bars, this is tiresome.

The hitch has worked very well for us but is a compromise with a focus on weight and cost at the expense of versatility and total performance.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:39 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Reese has been the one I use most (although I do own a Equalizer). You may not need the HP model. Reese self centers. I do use a frictional dampener in some circumstances.

Old 05-13-2015, 10:36 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
Agree with mrprez, Blue Ox Sway Pro is quiet, no backup restrictions and no sway so far for my application on a '08 Range Rover HSE. If it makes noise, it is probably not tensioned correctly for the TW.
Old 05-13-2015, 04:32 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' International
Salt Lake City , Utah
NWRVR, do you have the Land Rover Quick Release Hitch Receiver or did you use something else? I would be interested in learning more about your set up which is similar to ours. We have an LR3 V8 with same weight limits. We are in the process of installing the Prodigy P3 Brake Controller and maybe looking for a backup camera.
Old 05-13-2015, 05:06 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
NWRVR

How does that set up tow? I have an 2007 LR3 V8 HSE and so far have not even tried my 25ftRB with it. I am think of upgrading to a RR or LR4 next year but have not been feeling so great about the ability to tow my AS, any experiences you can share would be greatly appreciated!
Old 05-14-2015, 02:20 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaT View Post
NWRVR, do you have the Land Rover Quick Release Hitch Receiver or did you use something else? I would be interested in learning more about your set up which is similar to ours. We have an LR3 V8 with same weight limits. We are in the process of installing the Prodigy P3 Brake Controller and maybe looking for a backup camera.
My RR HSE has the Westphalia factory hitch with a 550 lbs tongue weight limit. I don't know what the quick release is unless it is the 2" box receiver for a stinger with a 5/8" clevis pin to lock it in. I also have the P3 brake controller. Airstream Adventures Northwest sold and set up the Blue Ox Sway Pro with 1,000 lbs bars on my TV but I had Land Rover install the brake controller, 7-way plug, relay, ECU and update the software for towing.

The set up tows smoothly and I don't feel the AS until I get into the mountains. I tow in sport mode to use the gears to keep the speed down going down grades and on a long uphill grade the transmission will shift down to maintain 50 - 55 mph at 3,500 rpm. I only have approximately 600 towing miles making three trips from Portland to the coast over the Coast Range and I am very happy with the set up and handling.
Old 05-14-2015, 02:53 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsmblue View Post
NWRVR

How does that set up tow? I have an 2007 LR3 V8 HSE and so far have not even tried my 25ftRB with it. I am think of upgrading to a RR or LR4 next year but have not been feeling so great about the ability to tow my AS, any experiences you can share would be greatly appreciated!
I am not familiar with the LR3 specs but LolaT says her LR3 has the same weight limits as my RR HSE which is rated for 550 lbs TW and 7,700 lbs trailer weight. Provided you have the V8 and same transmission and differentials as mine it should handle the 25RB fine. My 25FB has more TW (833 lbs) to deal with which the Blue Ox Sway Pro handles on my rig. My TV weighs 6,100 lbs which also helps.

I spoke with my Land Rover service tech giving him the details of the tow and WD set up before proceeding and he along with another tech reassured me that the RR HSE would not have a problem towing the AS to my satisfaction and so far they are right. I suggest that you also ask Land Rover service techs about the specifics of your AS and WD/Sway Control setup to get there opinion.
Old 05-14-2015, 08:38 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' International
Salt Lake City , Utah
This is the LR Quick-Release Receiver

(Although it says 550 max tongue weight on the pages description, I think that's taken from the manual. The hitch itself has 770 max tongue weight on it).
Haven't found any other options other than the Curt (dropping down to 600 lbs max tongue weight) that might inspire more confidence, so it looks like we are just going with the LR one. I guess the Westphalia is only for the RR.
Old 05-14-2015, 09:16 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
NWRVR,

Thanks for that info, super helpful!

fyi: Both the LR3 and the RR use the same quick release receiver. The stamp on the receiver states 770lbs TW but the manual states 550lbs TW. This issue is discussed ad nauseam on the various Land Rover forums with little resolution.
Old 05-14-2015, 09:23 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
LolaT, this is the first time that I have seen this type of receiver. I would go with the LR3 tongue limit of 550 lbs as the quick release receiver's higher rating may be for another application.
Old 05-14-2015, 09:58 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
Quote:
NWRVR,

Thanks for that info, super helpful!

fyi: Both the LR3 and the RR use the same quick release receiver. The stamp on the receiver states 770lbs TW but the manual states 550lbs TW. This issue is discussed ad nauseam on the various Land Rover forums with little resolution.
The quick-release receiver website shows this type of receiver for LR3, LR4, Range Rover Sport and Range Rover Supercharged. My '08 Range Rover HSE has an exposed tubular Westphalia hitch with an integral 2" receiver. I also found that this model LR was not pre-wired for the electric brake controller so maybe the hitch is an option.
Old 05-14-2015, 10:09 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
NWRVR - can you post a pic of what your receiver looks like?
Old 05-14-2015, 01:37 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
Quote:
NWRVR - can you post a pic of what your receiver looks like?
I am having problems (operator problem I am certain) uploading multiple photos so will do one at a time. If you google the part number KN1500020 the receiver comes up on Roverlandparts.com and landroverpartsinternational.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	272.7 KB
ID:	238416  
Old 05-14-2015, 01:52 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Thanks for the pic, this is a completely different system to th LR3/LR4/RRS.