Old 09-08-2016, 10:30 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Warped stabilizer "pins"

Spend $15 to replace them. Call equalizer to understand why they bent on the first place. Adjust your hitch accordingly. Done.

Old 09-08-2016, 10:45 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Parts wear out, those pins have a lot of stress from those loaded spring arms. I keep a couple of extra sets and I got the new spring loaded ones too. With the nylon L bracket pads, you don't need grease on the spring arms and it's much quieter. I would replace them, available on Amazon, and not worry about it.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 10:51 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Lynnwood , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
.....what caused the strain on the pins to bend them in the first place? Equalizer website has Made in USA right on the homepage.
Yeah, but.....where do they get their steel??

As for those pins, they're mass produced by some vendor.....who knows where?? Made in the USA or not, they're obviously the weakest link in the chain.

As for strain on the pins?? Unless you were running off-road in Baja, you did nothing wrong. A soft steel pin is akin to using a hardware-grade (Grade-2) bolt in an automotive application where Grade-8 is required. You might get by temporarily. But eventually, that hardware-grade bolt will fail.

Tom
Old 09-09-2016, 06:09 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCStreamer View Post
Buy the above Snap L brackets and get the plastic pads also. The snap brackets are harder steel and set upright so as not to bend. The pads really do not cause a noticeable loss of friction, and they do quiet down the noise when doing tight turns. Equalizer system does not need to be unhooked to back up or anything else.
Old 09-09-2016, 07:03 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
What he said^
That's all it takes.
Get the Sway Jacket Brackets and pins with flip-over bail for the hitch head end, too.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 08:14 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Gretna , Nebraska
Equalizer Hitch pins

I had this hitch provided by the dealer when we purchased our '05 31' Classic.

Had the pins bend far enough to fall out of the hitch on the road.

Manufacturer sent a replacement set. They too bent severely.

Happiest day was when I traded it for a Blue Ox and haven't looked back. I am very pleased with the Blue Ox.

Dwight
Old 09-09-2016, 09:31 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2013 23' Flying Cloud
Naples , Florida
Warped stabilizer pins

Thanks so much to all who have replied---very helpful! I am contacting equalizer, ordering new pins, checking installation, and doing a full lube job.
One thing puzzled me, tho: a couple of you mentioned "slop/play". I don't see how there can be any slop...when my bars are in place and the trailer ready to tow....those stabilizer bars, and the chunky L-shaped pins that hold them in place, are ferociously tight....nothing can budge until I raise the jack to unhitch.
Old 09-09-2016, 10:00 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The pins (made of aluminum I think) bend normally and then stop bending. We have had our Equalizer for 9 years. The pins bent right way and have stayed the same way ever since. The company will tell you that is normal and not to worry. I tried to get them to replace them under the lifetime warranty, but they wouldn't. It may look bad, but it is fine. Don't waste your money on new ones.

The L brackets and the two plates that they attach to can be pushed back and possibly at an angle. The problem is the plate on each side of the tongue was not tightened enough. I think Equalizer tells you to torque to 60 lbs., but that isn't enough as I just found out. I just had to take mine apart and re-tighten them. Make sure you put the lower bolt on the curb side above the propane line or the plate will bend. The design on the L brackets (the brackets are not "pins"; pins are things that hold other things in place like "cotter pins") has been changed since we got our hitch and the new design is somewhat better except for difficulty torquing the plate bolts.

I have had welds break on various Equalizer parts and they have honored the warranty and replaced them. They tell me they don't understand why the welds have broken and that people use this hitch for hundreds of thousands of miles without problems. We are only near 55,000 miles.

The hitch is easy to use and works very well to prevent sway and for weight distribution. Some people don't like the noise, but to us it just means it is doing its job. It operates by friction and friction can bones. If reducing the noise reduces efficiency by 5%, are you 5% less safe? You can back up with it without removing anything. I can't imagine why anyone would buy a hitch you can't back up with. I think that's the Reese with chains and didn't Reese copy the Equalizer with a very similar hitch (no chains)?

Gene
Old 09-09-2016, 10:54 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Warped stabilizer "pins"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barretta2 View Post
Thanks so much to all who have replied---very helpful! I am contacting equalizer, ordering new pins, checking installation, and doing a full lube job.

One thing puzzled me, tho: a couple of you mentioned "slop/play". I don't see how there can be any slop...when my bars are in place and the trailer ready to tow....those stabilizer bars, and the chunky L-shaped pins that hold them in place, are ferociously tight....nothing can budge until I raise the jack to unhitch.

The slop/play I refer to is in the L-pin itself.
If the hole for the cotter pin was even closer to the L-bracket it wouldn't have the ability to have play in it.
Just get you some new flip-over pins for the L-pins and hitch head and Sway Bracket Jackets, lube the hitch head and ball, and all will be good.

TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 09-10-2016, 08:23 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
I have about a 3/8" space between my spring arms and the L-pin. When I make a turn the spring arms will pop between the pin and the L-bracket. The nylon pad has made that a lot quieter but it still has a strong pop or click sound.

The L-pin fits fairly loose in the L-bracket hole. Since I bought this used I don't know if the L-pin fit in the hole tightly or not. Even so, if I hold the pin vertical there is still about a 1/4" play between it and the L-bracket.

I've not had any problems with the Equalizer, it does its job and the trailer rides well behind the TV, no sway.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 08:49 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The tighter it is- the more washers and the higher the L-brackets- the less it will move or pop-

TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 09-10-2016, 09:41 AM   #26
Airstreamer In Training

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Warped stabilizer "pins"

My L pins are tight and don't move a mm. After I install them the pressure of the bars keeps them in place.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2013 Cadillac Escalade Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 09:45 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
If the bars are tight because there are enough washers to get enough tilt and the L-brackets are high enough that the weight bars fit tight there will be no movement.
The bars being tight against the horizontal portion of the L-brackets is the weight distribution and the bars being tight against the vertical portion of the L-brackets is the sway control.
When it's right it's right.
When it ain't right it ain't right.
Took me a couple of years to get it right, but now it is saweet!

TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 09-10-2016, 10:13 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
IMHO your assessment of the cause of the bending and looseness as outlined in the lead post I think was correct. I think it was caused by jackknifing your trailer beyond your hitch setup's limits.

The bent pins likely will not fail unless their bend makes them want to back out of the holes. All the same I would replace them.

Gradiens super tenui glacie.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote