Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 06:57 PM   #1
Tino

Currently Looking...
Blainville , Quebec
VW Touareg diesel and 31 foot Airstream

Almost 12000 km whit my new VW Touareg Diesel and my 30 feet Airstream. It is a dream to tow. 15 miles per gallon. Better than my grand Cherokee 2011 and 2014 diesel. A got a new hitch is the Husky centerline. A add before the propride. A good system but heavy pricy and archaic! Whit my centerline, I don't have any sway at all!!!
Old 08-04-2015, 06:59 PM   #2
worried...happy...wo...ha

2015 25' FB International
Menlo Park , California
Was there a reason for swapping the 2014 Jeep GC for the Touareg? Would be great to know the difference from someone who had both TVs.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:02 PM   #3
Tino

Currently Looking...
Blainville , Quebec
Lost of problem whit the GC. Vibration problem all no by Chrysler...
Old 08-04-2015, 07:07 PM   #4
Tino

Currently Looking...
Blainville , Quebec
Here the pictures

Picture
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Views:	1197
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	244596  
Old 08-05-2015, 10:55 AM   #5

2017 28' Pendleton
Houston , Texas
mountain driving?

Have you tried the VW Toureg/31' Airstream combination in mountain driving? Currently pulling a smaller Airstream with a 3/4 ton diesel pickup which easily pulls the Airstream but has a stiffer suspension.
Old 08-05-2015, 11:11 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Tino, your rig looks great. Those T-reg diesels have a great reputation for working out well as a TV!
Old 08-05-2015, 11:13 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2008 28' International
Palm Springs , California
We're considering a Toureg for towing our 28' International. Which model, packages and options did you select? Any options that you wish you'd ordered?

"You are only young once, but you can stay immature indefinitely' - Ogden Nash
Old 08-09-2015, 07:42 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I have been researching the Touareg TDI for the improved mpg. Do you know what the tow capacity is or the GCWR for tow vehicle and trailer is? I cannot seem to find that info searching online. Thanks
Old 08-09-2015, 08:42 PM   #9
It's Porsh-Ah

Boston , Massachusetts
I work for porsche, I can let you know the cayenne diesel specs based on a very base (read NO option) cayenne diesel are 7,716 max trailer weight, 14,043 gcvw, 716 tongue weight, all up to 12% grade and 60 mph with a single 165lb occupant , all accessories (navigation, radio, seats, basically everything we like in america) and additional occupants will drop these weights correspondingly, on a personal note I do not condone many of the weights I see placed behind these vehicles on here. Hope this helps
Old 08-10-2015, 09:13 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

It is amazing what those German rigs are towing. They must have a lot of safety margin built into the design/construction that allows owners to exceed the nominal ratings established by the makers.
Old 08-10-2015, 10:03 AM   #11
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
VW did try to kill us when they introduced the "Thing".
But after 8 years of towing with Touaregs and I never lost a hitch or loosened a bolt.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

Old 08-10-2015, 10:53 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franswa View Post
I work for porsche, I can let you know the cayenne diesel specs based on a very base (read NO option) cayenne diesel are 7,716 max trailer weight, 14,043 gcvw, 716 tongue weight, all up to 12% grade and 60 mph with a single 165lb occupant , all accessories (navigation, radio, seats, basically everything we like in america) and additional occupants will drop these weights correspondingly, on a personal note I do not condone many of the weights I see placed behind these vehicles on here. Hope this helps
Thank you so much. That is exactly the information I was looking for. I really would like to get an Airstream Classic, which probably would be heavier yet, but this information will help me choose and decide what I will want to do.
Old 08-10-2015, 06:03 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
Quote:
so what exactly do you do for porsche. Did you design any part of this vehicle? Are you an engineer that you can offer your opinion on these things?

Perhaps it's best to leave the towing to people that actually know instead of everyone sharing their ignorance.
Old 08-10-2015, 10:57 PM   #14
It's Porsh-Ah

Boston , Massachusetts
No, I'm not an automotive engineer, and neither are you likely, I'm a gold level Porsche master technician at a busy dealership. And I'm sorry but my ignorance is based on years of factory training and repairing these vehicles from the day they were introduced. I also drank water from a garden hose, rode in the back of a pickup, have over loaded my own vehicles and lived to tell about it. However someone asked for the rated specs, and I provided them. Nothing more. I treat every vehicle like my own, and as much as it pains me, I learned long ago I can't control what the customer does with their car once they walk out the door. However in my job I can't tell you that your vehicle can do something whether I think it can, or I would do it my self. I can only advise that the manufacturer does not rate the vehicle for that. I'm happy to answer any questions on these vehicles as I probably know more about them by now than some of the German engineers that designed them, but I have also seen every single cayenne failure point many times over, so I know exactly what weaknesses can be exposed by hard use, and have seen them before. In the end it's personal preference for choosing one vehicle over another.
And if any one is ever in the Boston area towing an Airstream with a cayenne or Taureg and needs assistance or wants me to look at it, I'd be happy to offer a hand, judgement free, which is perhaps more than I could say for you based solely on your last post. (I'm sure your a fine person)
Old 08-11-2015, 06:14 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Specifically, what weights and what problems have you seen with the weights you see placed behind these vehicles on here, from your experience?

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
Old 08-11-2015, 07:44 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Franswa, thank you again for your input. All vehicles have their manufacturer's recommended tow ratings, and that is all I was looking for. I eventually found the tow capacity, but couldn't find the tongue weight rating or GCWR.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:26 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
Quote:
Originally Posted by gator.bigfoot View Post
so what exactly do you do for porsche. Did you design any part of this vehicle? Are you an engineer that you can offer your opinion on these things?

Perhaps it's best to leave the towing to people that actually know instead of everyone sharing their ignorance.

That was a snotty response and served no purpose other than to give us a glimpse of your personality.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:32 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
That Touareg looks tiny in front of that 30 AS! Good gas mileage...
Old 08-11-2015, 10:08 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
VW did try to kill us when they introduced the "Thing".
But after 8 years of towing with Touaregs and I never lost a hitch or loosened a bolt.
you mean this THING? I love it...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0641.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	327.9 KB
ID:	245253  
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 08-11-2015, 12:37 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Mountain View , California
Great! Please share your experience in relation to the potential problems when towing above the tongue weight rating and also when towing with WDS on PC? I am really interested in this.

Quote:
(...) but I have also seen every single cayenne failure point many times over, so I know exactly what weaknesses can be exposed by hard use, and have seen them before. (...)
Closed Thread