Closed Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 12:40 PM   #295
3 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Ojai , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
The estimate on the bill was around 12 hours of labor and about $2,500 in parts which included the Titan Brake Rite II SD pump system, the two sets of 12" Kodiak Dacromet Finish rotors with stainless steel calipers plus 3/16" brake line and all the fittings.
Thanks for that information Switz. I was thinking the cost was going to be closer to 6-7k and not around 4k for parts, labor and tax. Does that cost include the Direct Link controller? I guess that I didn't ask the question correctly, but how long was your trailer down for the install (we full time so...)?

Old 09-07-2015, 12:54 PM   #296
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
Actually,
I'm thinking this thread and increasingly, this whole site is about brand new Airstreams, brand new, super duty, diesel TVs that are equipped with the best weight and sway control hitches and equipped with the highest order of brake controllers, TPMS, back-up cams and every other add on, gew gaw and doo dad that can be purchased when price is no object whatsoever.
And if you are someone who can't afford all that stuff or understands that no amount of isolation and insulation from risk will let you live forever and is willing to fudge things a little, or get out on the road with a TV that deviates from the new Standard you will be argued with, patronized, sometimes sympathized with but generally treated as a heretic.
I do wonder sometimes how we as a society became so hyper adverse to risk.
Especially when I see the cover of my original 1975 Overlander manual and notice the TV is a big GM wagon without all the dew dads.
Kudos to those who worked hard all their lives and have rewarded themselves with a nice rig for camping.
May you have many years and many miles of trouble free enjoyment of the fruits of your labor.
But please remember that not everyone has arrived yet or their standards aren't as high or they aren't quite so adverse to risk. And they may not appreciate your too often repeated advice and ahh, shall we say, solicitude when it comes how they get themselves out on the road for a weekend of camping.

Old 09-07-2015, 05:33 PM   #297
3 Rivet Member

2007 30' Classic
Ayr , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiobrits View Post
Some questions earlier about the diesel SUV's handling downgrades. The Cayenne diesel with 27FB in tow (about 13,000lbs) will hold 65 mph in 5th on 5% downgrades. When I see the warning sign for steep downgrade, "Truckers use low gear" etc, I'll slow down if necessary then change down a few gears gradually to maintain the desired speed. No need for brakes. No drama. There is a significant amount of aero drag on the AS at this speed so the rig still stays "in tension" (I use a ProPride) even with some braking from the TV.

Engine brake required? With this combination, I'm not sure what I'd use it for, except to annoy the locals. On the other hand, if I was towing a 20000 lb trailer with a 1 ton, I'm sure I'd be glad of one, but I'm not.
Well said.

With 7 gears to choose from one will usually hold the speed. Even coming down Tioga pass I just left it in third. Hardly any breaking required.
Old 09-07-2015, 05:34 PM   #298
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
VW Touareg diesel and 31 foot Airstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrgtrakr View Post
Touareg weighs ~5,000#, 70-0mph 177 feet
An F250 weighs - 8,500#, 70-0mph 221 feet
Stopping distance shorter, agreed.
Better brakes, do the math.

I have yet to see the braking distance of these two when both hooked to a 6000-7500lb trailer along with gear and passengers.I think you might be surprised....

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 09-07-2015, 06:20 PM   #299
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
Absolutely!
Which is kind of the point. There have never been any formal studies ... to include tracking accident data.
Old 09-07-2015, 06:36 PM   #300
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Oak Creek , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120 View Post
Here's a reminder about what the discussion is about from the very first post by the OP:

"Almost 12000 km whit my new VW Touareg Diesel and my 30 feet Airstream. It is a dream to tow."

Maybe once you've got an Airstream and actual, you know, towing experience you might understand how nicely these trailers tow even without a truck.
As a past Touareg owner towing AS for 7 years, I found that these discussions are always interrupted by those who have never towed with said vehicle and/or trailer. Yet they feel compelled to add their opinions and information gleaned from numbers that they have found online. Real world experience means nothing to those who drive an armchair.

The Nest Egg - 2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Silverado 2500HD Chevy Duramax Diesel

Old 09-07-2015, 06:40 PM   #301
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Thing is, do we really care about F250s when we come here to read about Touaregs and Airstreams. It keeps coming back, meaningless, boring, and disruptive. That's kind of the point.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
Old 09-07-2015, 07:01 PM   #302
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
I pull my Bambi with a F650 and Propride.
Old 09-07-2015, 07:13 PM   #303
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
As a past Touareg owner towing AS for 7 years, I found that these discussions are always interrupted by those who have never towed with said vehicle and/or trailer. Yet they feel compelled to add their opinions and information gleaned from numbers that they have found online. Real world experience means nothing to those who drive an armchair.

Right and we hear statements from "experienced" folks like "my stopping distance with a 7000# trailer is the same as the stopping distance solo with my Touareg" which makes you question the value of the "experience".

I am yet to hear a suspension engineer, a drivetrain engineer, a chassis engineer, or a steering engineer state it's ok to randomly pick and choose various tow rating. You only hear that from armchair experts.
Old 09-07-2015, 07:32 PM   #304
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Thing is, do we really care about F250s when we come here to read about Touaregs and Airstreams. It keeps coming back, meaningless, boring, and disruptive. That's kind of the point.
Maybe it is because some of us researched this forum when we traded our 2012 2500HD for a ML350 Bluetec (same class as the other German SUVs) only to be greatly disappointed pulling our 25' and when moving up to the 30' went back to the 2500HD. But then my experience does not count as it is a new Airstream, New Truck, I have more money than Donald Trump and lie like Hillary Clinton.

It is sad that the facts are skewed by so many who just want to support their personal decisions instead of acknowledging that perhaps while it may work and meet your personal needs it still may not be the most appropriate and safest way to do it. This really reminds me of the circular unending defenses/arguments my children would make of the stupidest things. Once I got into such a prolonged argument with our firstborn son that my wife was in tears until I went into the bathroom and pulled the perfectly dry toothbrush out of the holder and then she was madder than I was. I knew he was lying but she could just not accept his innocent/honest pleas that he had brushed them. Once the dry tooth brush was presented without saying a word he just went to the kitchen pulled out a chair and drug it to the corner and did not move for more than 30 minutes.

Yes I just propagated it once more.... and it should be good for a few more.
Old 09-07-2015, 08:32 PM   #305
3 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Ojai , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by gator.bigfoot View Post
Well said.

With 7 gears to choose from one will usually hold the speed. Even coming down Tioga pass I just left it in third. Hardly any breaking required.
You had to brake on that down hill? Really? There is only one corner rated at 40 mph on the entire grade! I usually complain about Cal Trans, but that road is gorgeous! Wouldn't it have been nice to go down in 4th or 5th and never touching the brakes? Just because someone with a truck proposes an idea, do you really need to poo ha ha it because of the source? Seems a little hypocritical of you to do so when you complain so loudly about others criticizing smaller tow vehicles. Just Sayin...
Old 09-07-2015, 10:03 PM   #306
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
Bottom line : No matter what your TV is and what your towing , stay within the vehicle manufactures spec's .
2001 Casita 13' Patriot Deluxe

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Old 09-08-2015, 12:10 AM   #307
worried...happy...wo...ha

2015 25' FB International
Menlo Park , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxon View Post
Uhh... the brakes being discussed in your example are the retofit of the trailers brakes, not the truck brakes and the addition of a new brake controller...

And really, this is not a competition.

Oops, here you see how confusing the whole discussions is. Seems that was no cheapo conversion, and I honestly wonder why it is needed unless one does races or some other pushing the limits kind of things...

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 09-08-2015, 06:57 AM   #308
1 Rivet Member

Creston , North Carolina
Cayenne and 25fb

I've had two dealers in the last week, tell me that is I just installed a weight distribution hitch, I'd be good to go with my 2014'Cayenne Diesel and 25FB. Both also said I could even tow a 27 and had customers with even larger. They said "you done have to move the batteries or the spare tire or re indorse the hitch". They seemed very blas that all that was needed was the right WD hitch.
So what does this forum think is the best WD hitch?