Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-05-2015, 07:55 PM   #281
Rivet Master
 
cameront120's Avatar
 
1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,422
Images: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by rostam View Post
Right, I forgot the fairy dust sprinkles
That's rich. Remind us all what experience towing air streams you actually have.
__________________

__________________
Cameron & the Labradors, Kai & Samm
North Vancouver, BC
Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! - Mame Dennis
cameront120 is offline  
Old 09-05-2015, 08:55 PM   #282
4 Rivet Member
 
Ohiobrits's Avatar
 
2015 27' FB International
Howard , Ohio
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 267
Some questions earlier about the diesel SUV's handling downgrades. The Cayenne diesel with 27FB in tow (about 13,000lbs) will hold 65 mph in 5th on 5% downgrades. When I see the warning sign for steep downgrade, "Truckers use low gear" etc, I'll slow down if necessary then change down a few gears gradually to maintain the desired speed. No need for brakes. No drama. There is a significant amount of aero drag on the AS at this speed so the rig still stays "in tension" (I use a ProPride) even with some braking from the TV.

Engine brake required? With this combination, I'm not sure what I'd use it for, except to annoy the locals. On the other hand, if I was towing a 20000 lb trailer with a 1 ton, I'm sure I'd be glad of one, but I'm not.
__________________

__________________
2015 27FB International Signature "Danielle"
ProPride / 16" wheels / 600W solar / 864 AHr Lithium
Victron MultiPlus Inverter / BlueSolar / ColorControlGX / BMV 702
Porsche Cayenne Diesel
Ohiobrits is offline  
Old 09-05-2015, 09:26 PM   #283
Rivet Master
 
dkottum's Avatar
 
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 7,716
Ohiobrits, thanks for the info from experience. Probably my biggest concern about these vehicles is holding speed on the downgrades, and I feel much better about it.

We're nearing the point of reducing from three cars to two. One is a Suzuki Samarai which is our little chore runnabout. The Touareg-Cayenne-Q7 would be our tow vehicle 20% of use, and family car 80% of use.

We truly appreciate all the help getting there.
__________________
Doug and Cheryl
2012 FC RB, Michelin 16, ProPride 1400
2016 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4X4 Ecodiesel 3.92 axles

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline  
Old 09-05-2015, 10:21 PM   #284
Prairie Schooner II
 
Jim Flower's Avatar

 
2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,182
My experience with the 3l Jeep diesel is the same as Ohiobrits. I actually can't recall using the brakes on the grades in Virginia and West Virginia. The 8 speed seems to have lots of choices for maintaining a reasonable and safe downhill speed with plenty of braking power, mostly not dropping lower than 6. About 14000 lbs GCW. My old Jeep with the Mercedes 3l Diesel was about the same, except higher rpm in a lower gear. No fuss with either of them. My guess is that the other Diesel SUVs are better. Jim


Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
__________________
Jim
Jim Flower is offline  
Old 09-05-2015, 11:17 PM   #285
3 Rivet Member
 
Tuco's Avatar
 
1988 32' Excella
Ojai , California
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 189
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiobrits View Post
Some questions earlier about the diesel SUV's handling downgrades. The Cayenne diesel with 27FB in tow (about 13,000lbs) will hold 65 mph in 5th on 5% downgrades. When I see the warning sign for steep downgrade, "Truckers use low gear" etc, I'll slow down if necessary then change down a few gears gradually to maintain the desired speed. No need for brakes. No drama. There is a significant amount of aero drag on the AS at this speed so the rig still stays "in tension" (I use a ProPride) even with some braking from the TV.

Engine brake required? With this combination, I'm not sure what I'd use it for, except to annoy the locals. On the other hand, if I was towing a 20000 lb trailer with a 1 ton, I'm sure I'd be glad of one, but I'm not.
If you have never used one you don't know what your missing. I didn't till I fixed mine. Thanks for the great info.
__________________
Dave & MJ
1988 32' Excella 1000 (Beauty)
1999 White Dodge SLT Laramie 3500 Dually, 4x4, 5spd, 5.9 CTD 245k+ (The Beast)
Tuco is offline  
Old 09-05-2015, 11:36 PM   #286
3 Rivet Member
 
Mountain View , California
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 236
BMW X5M has different (more powerful brakes) and needs less distance to stop. I think PC Turbo has also better braking performance than "standard" PC. The point is that German SUVs have better brakes than trucks, but despite the numbers the "only truck can tow" crowd does not accept this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuff View Post
The standard brakes are the same unless you go carbon on the Porsche. I don't understand the whole discussion.
__________________
bono is offline  
Old 09-06-2015, 10:12 AM   #287
Rivet Master
 
switz's Avatar

 
2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,799
Images: 8
We still have the never lube hearings after the Kodiak calipers were installed. We installed the Titan Brake Rite II SD because of it's modular design. The electronics are a separate module from the pump. Not mentioned by the vendor at the time of purchase was that model is incompatible with ALL factory installed brake control systems.

We installed the Tuson DirecLink NE brake controller which plugs into the truck's ADP port. The system monitors all the truck's sensors to modulate the brakes. We did a simple bypass of the truck's built in brake controller so no truck computer error codes are thrown.

I would not have installed the Titan pump if I had found the Tuson system first. Their brake controller and pump when interconnected are capable of showing additional pump safety parameters on the cab display.

I will retrofit the Tuson ABS brake controller probably next year. It will still fit inside the front battery box. We will have to run four brake lines, one to each wheel, to support the ABS. One can order their basic pump which is upgradable to ABS, but the calipers and rotors have to ordered with the ABS sensor rings.
__________________
WBCCI Life Member 5123, AIR 70341, 4CU, WD9EMC

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline  
Old 09-06-2015, 11:12 AM   #288
3 Rivet Member
 
Tuco's Avatar
 
1988 32' Excella
Ojai , California
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 189
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
We still have the never lube hearings after the Kodiak calipers were installed. We installed the Titan Brake Rite II SD because of it's modular design. The electronics are a separate module from the pump. Not mentioned by the vendor at the time of purchase was that model is incompatible with ALL factory installed brake control systems.

We installed the Tuson DirecLink NE brake controller which plugs into the truck's ADP port. The system monitors all the truck's sensors to modulate the brakes. We did a simple bypass of the truck's built in brake controller so no truck computer error codes are thrown.

I would not have installed the Titan pump if I had found the Tuson system first. Their brake controller and pump when interconnected are capable of showing additional pump safety parameters on the cab display.

I will retrofit the Tuson ABS brake controller probably next year. It will still fit inside the front battery box. We will have to run four brake lines, one to each wheel, to support the ABS. One can order their basic pump which is upgradable to ABS, but the calipers and rotors have to ordered with the ABS sensor rings.
Switz - What was the total cost of the conversion including parts and labor? Also what kind of time was need to complete this work?
__________________
Dave & MJ
1988 32' Excella 1000 (Beauty)
1999 White Dodge SLT Laramie 3500 Dually, 4x4, 5spd, 5.9 CTD 245k+ (The Beast)
Tuco is offline  
Old 09-07-2015, 10:47 AM   #289
Rivet Master
 
switz's Avatar

 
2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,799
Images: 8
The estimate on the bill was around 12 hours of labor and about $2,500 in parts which included the Titan Brake Rite II SD pump system, the two sets of 12" Kodiak Dacromet Finish rotors with stainless steel calipers plus 3/16" brake line and all the fittings.
__________________
WBCCI Life Member 5123, AIR 70341, 4CU, WD9EMC

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline  
Old 09-07-2015, 11:21 AM   #290
worried...happy...wo...ha
 
Knuff's Avatar
 
2015 25' FB International
Menlo Park , California
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 196
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
We still have the never lube hearings after the Kodiak calipers were installed. We installed the Titan Brake Rite II SD because of it's modular design. The electronics are a separate module from the pump. Not mentioned by the vendor at the time of purchase was that model is incompatible with ALL factory installed brake control systems.
It is somehow telling that the truck crowd hijacks this SUV discussion and talks gibberish. I at least thought that the trucks came with brakes that could handle an AS, but obviously not...
__________________
Knuff is offline  
Old 09-07-2015, 11:31 AM   #291
Rivet Master
 
Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 836
Pretty sure the "truck crowd" as you put it is actually more concerned about safe towing no matter what kind of vehicle you prefer.
The brake conversations made me curious because at least for the high end SUVs 4 wheel anti lock disc brakes are standard. On many pickups 4 wheel anti lock disc brakes are optional even though they may be tow rated.
The advantage of 4 wheel anti lock disc brakes is a shorter stopping distance, not that standard drum brakes WON'T stop the vehicle or handle the loads it is rated for.
But perhaps I'm confused.
__________________
nrgtrakr is offline  
Old 09-07-2015, 11:31 AM   #292
Rivet Master
 
Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 995
Images: 1
This discussion is not about trucks vs SUVs/minivans/sedans. It's also not about body on frame vs unibody vehicles. It's about adhering or ignoring manufacture ratings. It's very simple unless you want to make it complicated.
__________________
rostam is offline  
Old 09-07-2015, 11:40 AM   #293
E Pluribus Aluminus
 
Jaxon's Avatar
 
2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Rockport , Texas
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,214
Images: 10
Send a message via AIM to Jaxon Send a message via Yahoo to Jaxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuff View Post
It is somehow telling that the truck crowd hijacks this SUV discussion and talks gibberish. I at least thought that the trucks came with brakes that could handle an AS, but obviously not...
Uhh... the brakes being discussed in your example are the retofit of the trailers brakes, not the truck brakes and the addition of a new brake controller...

And really, this is not a competition.
__________________
Bill & Kim
WBCCI 7005 * AIR 9218
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline  
Old 09-07-2015, 12:22 PM   #294
Rivet Master
 
cameront120's Avatar
 
1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,422
Images: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by rostam View Post
This discussion is not about trucks vs SUVs/minivans/sedans. It's also not about body on frame vs unibody vehicles. It's about adhering or ignoring manufacture ratings. It's very simple unless you want to make it complicated.
Here's a reminder about what the discussion is about from the very first post by the OP:

"Almost 12000 km whit my new VW Touareg Diesel and my 30 feet Airstream. It is a dream to tow."

Maybe once you've got an Airstream and actual, you know, towing experience you might understand how nicely these trailers tow even without a truck.
__________________

__________________
Cameron & the Labradors, Kai & Samm
North Vancouver, BC
Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! - Mame Dennis
cameront120 is offline  
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VW Touareg diesel Never2late Tow Vehicles 8 06-17-2014 02:22 PM
Touareg and the Hensley question adwriter73 Tow Vehicles 3 10-25-2010 09:31 PM
touareg, bambi and weight distribution hitch ericwarren Hitches, Couplers & Balls 2 10-02-2008 10:19 PM
First road trip with Touareg and CCD... Xray Our Community 35 09-15-2004 02:06 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.