Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 07:14 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franswa View Post
I work for porsche, I can let you know the cayenne diesel specs based on a very base (read NO option) cayenne diesel are 7,716 max trailer weight, 14,043 gcvw, 716 tongue weight, all up to 12% grade and 60 mph with a single 165lb occupant , all accessories (navigation, radio, seats, basically everything we like in america) and additional occupants will drop these weights correspondingly, on a personal note I do not condone many of the weights I see placed behind these vehicles on here. Hope this helps
Specifically, what weights and what problems have you seen with the weights you see placed behind these vehicles on here, from your experience?

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
Old 08-11-2015, 08:44 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Springfield , Missouri
Franswa, thank you again for your input. All vehicles have their manufacturer's recommended tow ratings, and that is all I was looking for. I eventually found the tow capacity, but couldn't find the tongue weight rating or GCWR.

Old 08-11-2015, 10:26 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
Quote:
Originally Posted by gator.bigfoot View Post
so what exactly do you do for porsche. Did you design any part of this vehicle? Are you an engineer that you can offer your opinion on these things?

Perhaps it's best to leave the towing to people that actually know instead of everyone sharing their ignorance.

That was a snotty response and served no purpose other than to give us a glimpse of your personality.
Old 08-11-2015, 10:32 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
That Touareg looks tiny in front of that 30 AS! Good gas mileage...
Old 08-11-2015, 11:08 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
VW did try to kill us when they introduced the "Thing".
But after 8 years of towing with Touaregs and I never lost a hitch or loosened a bolt.
you mean this THING? I love it...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0641.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	327.9 KB
ID:	245253  
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
Old 08-11-2015, 01:37 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

Mountain View , California
Great! Please share your experience in relation to the potential problems when towing above the tongue weight rating and also when towing with WDS on PC? I am really interested in this.

Quote:
(...) but I have also seen every single cayenne failure point many times over, so I know exactly what weaknesses can be exposed by hard use, and have seen them before. (...)
Old 08-12-2015, 11:22 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2007 30' Classic
Ayr , Ontario
Quote:
No, I'm not an automotive engineer, and neither are you likely, I'm a gold level Porsche master technician at a busy dealership. And I'm sorry but my ignorance is based on years of factory training and repairing these vehicles from the day they were introduced. I also drank water from a garden hose, rode in the back of a pickup, have over loaded my own vehicles and lived to tell about it. However someone asked for the rated specs, and I provided them. Nothing more. I treat every vehicle like my own, and as much as it pains me, I learned long ago I can't control what the customer does with their car once they walk out the door. However in my job I can't tell you that your vehicle can do something whether I think it can, or I would do it my self. I can only advise that the manufacturer does not rate the vehicle for that. I'm happy to answer any questions on these vehicles as I probably know more about them by now than some of the German engineers that designed them, but I have also seen every single cayenne failure point many times over, so I know exactly what weaknesses can be exposed by hard use, and have seen them before. In the end it's personal preference for choosing one vehicle over another.
And if any one is ever in the Boston area towing an Airstream with a cayenne or Taureg and needs assistance or wants me to look at it, I'd be happy to offer a hand, judgement free, which is perhaps more than I could say for you based solely on your last post. (I'm sure your a fine person)
Thanks Franswa for clarifying your role with them. I appreciate knowing in what basis your claims are made.

Now that I know you're not the gardener, what sort of issues are you seeing related towing? I was considering one of these vehicles for my next TV. But if you are saying to avoid them based on failures then thank you for the advice. I will look elsewhere for my next TV.

Sorry I came across harsh. These threads usually only bring out that you can't tow with anything but a pickup with a 5 plus liter diesel. When in fact their are many people towing without them and are not having issues related to it.
Old 08-12-2015, 11:45 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
But what failures are related to towing? We have several members using Cayenne-Porsche-Audi diesels and like them, at least one member using a Touareg for 10 years.

Noting that other tow vehicles also have failures, we are seriously considering an Audi Q7 or Touareg. It would be nice to see what we may expect or work around based on an actual mechanic's actual experiences. There are plenty of opinions from those who have never towed with one, or worked on them professionally.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
Old 08-12-2015, 12:07 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
I'm considering the diesel Audi Q7 as well. I'm confident that there is sufficient power to pull our 27 foot Eddie Bauer (and brakes to stop it,) but am curious to know if anyone has experienced any frame issues due to the forces that weight distributing hitches place on the tow vehicle?

Since the Q7, Cayenne and Touareg are essentially identical, I'd be interested to hear from any owners of these tow vehicles.
Old 08-12-2015, 12:33 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

I have researched this pretty hard. You can find a lot of reports about frame failures on pickups resulting from towing. I have never heard about any issues in relation to the unibody (the German SUV chassis). I would be very interested in hearing about such issues.

I am preparing my X5 to tow SOB 6000 lbs trailer with tongue weight of 650 dry, 32 ft long. Doing some mods, I can realistically get 800-900 lbs tongue weight.

The key is to reinforce the hitch (to avoid problems when using WDS and to transfer some tongue weight to the chasis) and to get a good hitch (I am planning to use ProPride).

95-98% users of this forum will tell you that you need a truck or even better a tank to tow such trailer. There are many people who are towing such trailers with SUV or even minivans. Good German engineering and common sense is capable to tow larger trailers.
Old 08-14-2015, 01:49 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2017 27' Flying Cloud
Orleans , Ontario
With all this discussion of using SUVs as TV I always wondered how a shorter wheelbase (such as those of a Cayenne or Toureg) will perform, compared to longer wheelbase (such as Suburban or full size pick-up)
Old 08-14-2015, 04:36 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

better According to Andy from Can-Am, it is not only wheelbase, but also the overhang in the back what matters
Old 08-14-2015, 04:42 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

@Franswa

I believe there are a couple of users (including me) who are waiting for your feedback in relation to the towing failures with Porsche. We would appreciate if you share your experience.
Old 08-18-2015, 08:41 AM   #28

2011 27 FB International
Montreal , Quebec
I'm no mechanic but we've been driving 12 000 miles across the US with our 2013 TDi Touareg and 23D International Airstream without any problems.

We've been in some steep down and up hills and it's been a breeze to handle.

We use and WD and a reinforced hitch (from Can-Am) and it added so much control on the rig.

I'd be really curious to know what long-term problems might occur because so far it seems like the Touareg has been doing this 1 year trip two tire up it's nose. We're also thinking of upgrading to a 27FB which would have a considerable amount of weight.

Here are a few pics of the setup for thos interested:

A quick video:
https://vimeo.com/122159588